Honored Contributor

Re: Shooting At San Francsco UPS Building

@occasionalrain wrote:

When something happens, people want a law as though that will fix it. They give no thought beyond that to how it will be enforced or to the othr law, for every action there is a reaction. For example, passing a law prohibiting those experiencing mental illness from weapon ownership may prevent those needing help from seeking it. Then there is the question of which mental illness to include, all mental illness? For how long? What about depression; a number of shooters have depression that may be temporary as is postpartum. 

@occasionalrain

Not understanding at all your connection of this news report, or comments made here, to postpartum depression.

Personally, I don't recall any reports of a mass or multiple shooter suffering from postpartum depression.

And FYI, postpartum depression is not always so temporary and at times it becomes a psychosis.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC unkind, last statement uncalled for, argumentative

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I don't think that anyone can dispute that guns make it easier for the disturbed or the criminal to cause the most mayhem. Everyone is so angry, even if they are just cut off in traffic or lose a parking space, if they are carrying a gun the outcome can be tragic. JMO

And laws that allow mentally unstable people to purchase them.

Don't forget the people who hate. There are a lot of people who hate, who are not mentally disturbed or unstable. They just hate.

I know.

But I think there is a case to be made that extreme hate can create instability in someone.  

Valued Contributor

Noel 7 - I think you're being a little harsh in your reactions. I didn't read any "insult" in hkynut's post and I don't think occasional rain was trying to say postpartum depression had anything to do with this incident.

When unfornunate/terrible things like this happen, people want "more laws" - there are plenty of laws now that aren't enforced. People who want to kill are going to one way or another whether they have a gun or not (look at the recent incident in London). The reason for violence in this world goes a lot deeper than people want to admit or talk about.

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

Noel 7 - I think you're being a little harsh in your reactions. I didn't read any "insult" in hkynut's post and I don't think occasional rain was trying to say postpartum depression had anything to do with this incident.

When unfornunate/terrible things like this happen, people want "more laws" - there are plenty of laws now that aren't enforced. People who want to kill are going to one way or another whether they have a gun or not (look at the recent incident in London). The reason for violence in this world goes a lot deeper than people want to admit or talk about.

@cimeranrose

How nice to see a new poster Smiley Happy

Sorry, but I haven't said anything about new laws.

Respected Contributor

Well this will give the MSM relief from having to talk about the Congressional shooter's motives - for which  they are surely thankful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The shooter has been identified as Jimmy Lam, in his mid 40s.  He had been having problems with his manager.

The victims will not be identified until all family members have been contacted.

Special centers have been set up for family members to gather with social services and other forms of aid available.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

The shooter has been identified as Jimmy Lam, in his mid 40s.  He had been having problems with his manager.

The victims will not be identified until all family members have been contacted.

Special centers have been set up for family members to gather with social services and other forms of aid available.

I am sorry for the loss of life, but I can't say that I am all that surprised.

The drivers are under tremendous stress to make deliveries as fast as possible, which is why some end up literally throwing packages when they drop them off, and you see the trucks speeding down the street.

Their stops are timed and tracked, they are constantly pushed to go faster and faster.

While what he did was 100% wrong, I can also understand how someone can snap under constant stress and pressure.

It doesn't make it right, but I can understand it.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

I don't think it's as simple as that.  Particularly when it's not a common reaction.

Remember the term, "Going Postal"?  It meant freaking out totally and came from an occurrence where a postal worker wasn't getting along with others on the job, flipped out and shot his co-workers.

A lot of people are under tremendous stress on the job, get fired or don't get along with anyone and yet they don't end up killing the people they work with. 

There must have been studies on this... hopefully.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2

I don't think it's as simple as that.  Particularly when it's not a common reaction.

Remember the term, "Going Postal"?  It meant freaking out totally and came from an occurrence where a postal worker wasn't getting along with others on the job, flipped out and shot his co-workers.

A lot of people are under tremendous stress on the job, get fired or don't get along with anyone and yet they don't end up killing the people they work with. 

There must have been studies on this... hopefully.

Of course I have heard of the term "going postal", who hasn't.

But not everybody handles stress in the same way.

Some exercise, some clean, some drink, and a few go on a shooting spree.

Yes, stress that compounds, and builds, can cause a person to snap.