Trusted Contributor

Salt Lake City valley had a 5.7 earthquake  this morning at 7:10. There is alot of damage but no one was hurt. Hubby and I  were just waking up when it started and we just grab each other and held on. I have to say it was very scary . And the after shocks aren't helping.

It's a good thing that Utah is basically on lock down because of the virus or it might have been alot worse. I'm glad all the schools are closed. The grandkids were home with their mother because she has to work from home.

They closed our international airport because of water damage and made everyone go leave. The airport, control tower and the runway has to be checked for damage. Also it has to be cleaned because of the virus. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Shook Out Of Bed.

[ Edited ]

So now all the people who stockpiled water bottles are looking at the rest of us saying, "See? Not so crazy now, huh?"

Edited to add: I should have said before, I'm glad you and your Hubby are okay. @sweetee2 

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I heard about the earthquake on our local news. They mentioned to be aware of aftershocks which, in some instances, can be worse than the first one. Take care. @sweetee2 

Trusted Contributor

Like there's not enough going on!

Glad you and yours are oK.

Respected Contributor

@sweetee2 🙏🌷

Respected Contributor

Boy @sweetee2, when it rains it pours!  With everything else going on and having to deal with an earthquake!!  Glad you and your husband are okay though!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@sweetee2 - It definitely has been disconcerting all day long! No major aftershocks for the past two hours, so fingers crossed that most of it is over now...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first big quake since moving to Utah......from California of all places. Yes, we experienced shocks that originated in the Bay area, but nothing like this. I had just started working (I work at home, even pre Covid-19), and thought the lady upstairs was dropping boxes on the floor again. But then everything started shaking and it didn't stop. Then the power went out. My computer power box started beeping loudly, as it does when the electric goes off. It was cloudy out, so little sunlight, leaving me alone and in darkness. I think that was why this was so hard for me as opposed to ones I experienced in CA.I was alone. I got down on the floor and crawled to my purse to get my cell. I had to hear another voice, so called a friend I knew was also working at home. Her power was on, so I had to hang up so she could work. I was never so scared. And yes, the aftershocks weren't much better in calming me down. All my pretties and collectibles survived, including all my Temptations. 

At least with Covid, you can hide from it. Can't hide from a quake. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been through the huge 6.8 in California and I know how you feel.  The quake doesn't last long, and we didn't occur any damages.   But the psychological damage lasts forever.   It has been 31 years and I still have ptsd. If I am upstairs and

the garage door closes and shakes the house ,my heart is throbs,and I get a huge adrenaline rush.   Scared.  But California, as I am sure is the case Utah has built for earthquakes.  Newer buildings are pretty safe and most older buildings have been retrofitted

sorry you went through this. But makes you realize what you can live through!!!  That is the consolation I carry.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2    Earthquakes are no fun.  I survived a 7.1 in San Francisco years ago.  Yes, it is scary and then you have to deal with after shocks.  Glad you are okay and safe. Take care and be safe.

kindness is strength