Esteemed Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Does anyone else use a shoe rack/racks?  I am so sick of picking up shoes, tripping over shoes, and kicking shoes out of my way.  DS and DH leave their shoes wherever they take tham off.  I at least move mine to a corner in the bedroom.  DH tends to leave his right in the path from the bed to the bathroom.  I lost count on how many times I tripped over them in the middle of the night.

So, I bought a 5 shelf shoe rack that holds 25 pairs of shoes.  Now, I am prepared for this fight.  I have told them both that any shoes not put on the rack, will be put in the garage. 

I plan on putting the rack by the front door, but the front door leads into the dining room.  However, we rarely have company and never use the dining room. 

Does anyone else have a shoe rack in their dining room?

I use them.   I found some nice ones at walmart.   Go to their site and look , they have many to choose from.

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022.  Your finger brushed the Bold and Italic icons at the top left of the block.  B & I.  Click on them again to return to normal.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@JCF.   Oragami also made a wonderful shoe rack which hangs from a door.  I only ever saw it once, grabbed one, and never saw it again.  I wish they'd get them back.

I have dozens of shoes, probably at least 150 pairs, with many being on the floor.  I have a little dog, not a puppy, that has been ruining about a pair a day chewing on them.  He can ruin a shoe in less than 5 minutes.  I've got many put away and need to do something with the rest pronto.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Does anyone else use a shoe rack/racks?  I am so sick of picking up shoes, tripping over shoes, and kicking shoes out of my way.  DS and DH leave their shoes wherever they take tham off.  I at least move mine to a corner in the bedroom.  DH tends to leave his right in the path from the bed to the bathroom.  I lost count on how many times I tripped over them in the middle of the night.

So, I bought a 5 shelf shoe rack that holds 25 pairs of shoes.  Now, I am prepared for this fight.  I have told them both that any shoes not put on the rack, will be put in the garage

I plan on putting the rack by the front door, but the front door leads into the dining room.  However, we rarely have company and never use the dining room. 

Does anyone else have a shoe rack in their dining room?

Reminded me of being a kid growing up. 

On cleaning day if you had left something laying around, it went into a box and we either had to pay a small amount to get it back or wait a week.  Left your (catholic) school shoes out, too bad!

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022, do what you have to.  i'm against trips and falls!

Honored Contributor

Dining room?...no

I do have a large laundry room which goes out to the garage and we have an extra coat closet in there in addition to the entry hall.  I store a lot of boots (snow boots mostly in there) and one end of the laundry room DH keeps a few pairs of his everyday shoes in a small nook area. 

I keep my shoes upstairs in my bedroom closet.  I switch out the seasons and store out of season shoes in shoe boxes and my in season shoes are in a shoe organizer that holds 15 pairs and sits on the floor of one of my closets.  Shoes that don't fit are on the floor of the closet.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not (have a shoe rack in the DR), but I've had to make things like that work.  I guess if you had company and wanted to actually dine there, you could pick up the rack and move it to the garage.

Maybe you re-consider that room's use.

I don't have kids but I've finally trained DH to put his shoes neatly in the designated areas by doorways.  I don't mind seeing shoes out if they're neat and they look like they have a purpose.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022

Your home is yours:  do what makes sense for your situation.

However, when I read your post it saddened me that your spouse doesn’t care that you could trip, fall, seriously injure yourself by tripping on shoes during the night that were thoughtlessly left in the way.

How about a nice basket ( woven or leather ) in a spot convenient for him ?  A rack may not work because of perceived inconvenience on his part.

Good Luck and stay upright !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I found shoe baskets work well.  Just put them in a corner or a place out of walking paths.  It's much easier to just dump them in there.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a black shoe rack from collections etc. They have good prices and at times free shipping. Also a smaller one advertised in white.