Respected Contributor

Shirley Temple's blue diamond ring goes up for auction

What a stunning piece of jewelry.

From JCK:

"...Sotheby’s will auction the Shirley Temple Blue Diamond, a 9.54 ct. fancy deep blue diamond ring worn by child star–turned–American diplomat Shirley Temple throughout her life.

The ring, which is cushion-cut and in its original Art Deco–inspired setting, was owned by Temple until her death in 2014.

Temple’s father purchased the ring in 1940 for $7,210; it is estimated to sell at the Sotheby’s April 19 Magnificent Jewels auction in New York for $25 million–$35 million..."

From LA Times:

"..The child star received the 9.54-carat fancy deep blue diamond ring as a gift from her father, according to the auction house, sometime around her 12th birthday. That fell a few weeks before the release of her 1940 film "The Blue Bird." Sotheby's is calling the ring the star of its April 19 "Magnificent Jewels" auction..."

472x480xscreen_shot_2016-03-18_at_11.01.43_am.png,qitok=_trzVJjm.pagespeed.ic.L3f1euie4z.jpg

_88831868_c6910986-abca-4dc4-b5bc-ea41365992ae.jpg

Temple wearing the ring as she was sworn in as US Ambassador to Ghana in 1969.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shirley Temple's blue diamond ring goes up for auction

Gorgeous ring!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

That is so interesting.  I did not know she even had a father in her life.  I remember stories about her mother, but never her father.  I'll need to do some googling to learn more.  Thanks, OP!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Such a lovely ring, i just loved her, she was part of my childhood growing up, i loved watching her movies.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

OHHH! It is a beauty. I am so glad she wore it and enjoyed it, throughout her life. 

Thanks for the pictures and the information. I had not heard about it. But glad I saw the pictures.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info. That ring is gorgeous! Since most of us can't afford to bid on the ring we'll have to be content with her US postage stamp coming out April 18th.

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Say Nay

I just adore this ring!!!  Oh, my!  I would love to have this ring.  Just gorgeous.  Wonder why no-one in her family wants to keep it???  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

she earned it !

Probably they don't want the responsibility of the ring, plus, the cost to insure. Would rather have the cash.

Respected Contributor

Wow - what a gorgeous ring.

I wonder how much the winning bid will be?

Honored Contributor

Such a beautiful ring for such a beautiful and talented woman. I still watch her movies all these years later. I just watched "The Little Princess" this past week. Her movies always put a smile on my face.

Whoever wins this beautiful ring will be very lucky.....