Honored Contributor

Re: Shingles shot...anyone get it?

No, not yet.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I had a very bad case of shingles several years ago and it was the most painful experience of my life.  So, when the shingles vaccine became available I got it and so did my DH.  The only reaction I had was minimal soreness for one or two days.  DH didn't have any problems at all.  We only had to pay a copay and our insurance paid the rest. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Wondered if there's a reaction?  Any side effects?  

I got mine about 2 yrs. ago, no side effect except the area was sore for a couple of days, but that is usually true with most shots!

Frequent Contributor

I got a shingles shot about a month ago. No problems, thank goodness. I watched my mother suffer with shingles. It is not good. Luckily my insurance paid for it. I heard the shot is quite expensive. It would cost insurance companies alot more paying for someone suffering from shingles, than paying for the shot. Very frustrating for sure. 

Valued Contributor

My husband had the shot and had no reaction.  Unfortunately, I wasn't as lucky.  I had redness, swelling and itching.  Plus the rash traveled down my arm. I guess I was one who had a severe reaction which doesn't happen that often.  Still, given my Mother had shingles I would have the shot again.  My rash lasted about 10 days.

Honored Contributor

Shingles in my right eye were absolutely awful !  

Afterwards, had the shot, no problems, no more flare ups.

NOTE:  I you are immunocompromised speak with your MD about getting the vaccination whatever your age.  

You do NOT have to be 60 to get shingles - I wasn't.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kali...I got it 2 years ago at 60.....no reaction, except a little swelling and soreness at the injection site for about a week.

I got it done at CVS and insurance paid for it.....the dr's office wanted  $$ up front, then I would be re-imbursed by insurance.   THEY told me to go to CVS....easier.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

I've had the shot. The only reaction I got was a slightly sore arm for a couple of days.

Honored Contributor

I got it 2 years ago when I turned 60, only reaction was redness at the sight for about a week.

Honored Contributor

Our doctor offered it to my husband when it first came out and then I got it when I was old enough. We did not have side effects , but I would take the chance any way because I've seen soom pretty nasty cases of shingles on people over the years.