Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shingles shot...anyone get it?

You bet I got the injection!

What I'm betting on is that if I do get shingles, my case will be far less severe than it might otherwise have been.

As others have stated, I watched my Grandmother suffer badly through her case of shingles, as well as my Dad and many female friends, all of whom were side-lined for 4-12 weeks, depending on the severity of each individual case.  Many were left with life-long neuralgias.

For those of us who already have various health challenges, the last thing we need is a chronic neuralgia on top of our stack of other chronic complaints.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, 4 years ago with no problems.

Contributor

My husband and I both got the shot 5 years ago, no problems.  The shot is very expensive so make sure your insurance will cover it.

Respected Contributor

I scheduled the shot and then had a weird thought.  I'm fairly certain my mom told me I had the chicken pox but now I'm doubting whether it was cp or something else.  I called the drs office and they told me there's no blood test to see if you've had it.  And I shouldn't get the shot if I've never had cp.

Now I'm upset with myself for not writing down info Mom told me.  She's now in dementia.  Some days she remembers stuff but mostly she doesn't.  I called her today and she said she didn't know if I had it.   Mom always had a great memory for this kind of thing.  

Was told to call my older siblings and brother said he thinks I had it but NOT sure 100%.  I have no noticable scars, not even one.  ugh

My children both had it.  Wouldn't I have come down with it if I'd never had it since I was taking care of them?  And they were polluted!!  

Help!

Honored Contributor

I got it about 6-7 weeks ago. I knew ahead of time that my insurance covered it, as I checked with them. The only reaction I had was redness at the injection site for 3-4 days. I didn't even know that until someone told me. I felt nothing - no heat or soreness.

I really wanted to get the vaccine as I've known several people who were miserable with shingles.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

nope, not getting it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I got the shop about 5 years ago.  No problems.  Several years later I had a mild case of Shingles and I think it was mild because I had the shot.

I recommend you get the vacine.

Respected Contributor

I was told by a nurse at the drs office that there's no way to test for previous exposure however, I called my son who's a PA and he checked with a colleague who said, yes, I can get Varicella Titers drawn to check that.

So, once I know for sure that I've had the chicken pox, I'll be able to get the Shingles shot.  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks, everyone, for your responses!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Had it with absolutely no problems. Everyone over 40 should get it rather having had shingles before or not. It is a one-time vaccination and can reduce your change of getting shingles more than once in half.

DO NOT get it, until speaking with your physician, if you have had an allergic reation to an attempt to have it before, if you have a serious or chronic illness that weakens your immune system, if you have had cancer/and or radiation and chemotherapy, or if you are allergic to neomycin.

Check with your physician if you have any of these before taking.

The majority of people who get it never have any problems at all.

Respected Contributor

I did and no problems occurred. I had chicken pox as a child and I get Herpes Simplex (cold sores) when sick or in the sun.