Honored Contributor

Re: Shingles shot...anyone get it?

Our insurance covers this as a  tier 4 drug so the copay for this year is $95. 

I have a pretty severe reaction to latex and the pharmacist at walgreens would not give me the shingles shot because of that. I asked my doctor about it and he does not recommend getting this shot because of it's low effectiveness, so I did not get it. I hope i'm not sorry. Now a days there are such good antivirals if you do get shingles.

Respected Contributor

I got it about 6months ago. I had redness, some swelling and itching for about a week. I used cortisone cream for the itch and Benadryl for the reaction. Despite the  reaction I would do it again in a heartbeat rather than suffer with a full blown case of shingles.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

i did have the shot last year, and i did not have any problems or reactions.  good luck. 

Respected Contributor

I got it last year, only because my daughter-in-law got shingles at 26 years of age!!!!!!!  I figured if she could get it, so could I.  I was told it was only 50% effective, but I got it anyway.  No problems whatsoever with the injection.  I also got the pneumonia vaccine last year because for the first time in my life, at 66 years of age, I got pneumonia!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Contributor

My husband and I both got the shot.  Neither one of us had ant adverse reaction.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Dr. said we cannot get it until we are 60 due to what else? insurance not paying until then. My husband and I will get it then.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U wrote:

Our Dr. said we cannot get it until we are 60 due to what else? insurance not paying until then. My husband and I will get it then.

As a person that had shingles before I was 60, I'd say it is well worth paying for the shot out of pocket.  Yes, it's expensive, but worth every cent.

Shingles was one of the most painful experiences I've had. Do not wait.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

As a person that had shingles before I was 60, I'd say it is well worth paying for the shot out of pocket.  Yes, it's expensive, but worth every cent.

Shingles was one of the most painful experiences I've experienced. Do not wait.

It was very painful!  I'll speak to my PCP next visit if I should have the shot or not.  Thanks for all the information on this thread! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had just a little injection site redness & tiny bit of swelling.  i am glad I got it.

My husband had shingles & it was so painful.  An acquaintance got it on her forehead, which can be terrible as eyes can be involved.

better 50% (or whatever % may be) protected than nothing!

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Respected Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I also had no reaction at all.  And I got a tetanus shot at the same time.  

I couldn't raise my arm for several months from a tetanus shot so I'm afraid to get the shingles shot.