Valued Contributor

Re: Shingles (Zoster) Vaccine

On 11/16/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/16/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Thanks dooBdoo for revisiting the latex allergy question which was covered by a very good link I had posted to HH.

Latex in Vaccine Packaging for those who missed it the first time!

This is from 2011 - not exactly current information.

No it's not. It says the table's current as of July 2014. So does Doobdoo's post info.

Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/16/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Thanks dooBdoo for revisiting the latex allergy question which was covered by a very good link I had posted to HH.

Latex in Vaccine Packaging for those who missed it the first time!Wink

This is from 2011 - not exactly current information.

If you can find more up to date information, please post because I know you want everyone to be current on the latest latex in vaccine packaging information! ETA it says right on the page that its accurate from December 2012.

"The following table is accurate, to the best of our knowledge, as of December 2012."

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 dooBdoo said:

Regarding the shingles vaccine and latex allergies:

""Latex in Vaccine Packaging table (as of July 2014)""

The listing for Zoster (Shingles) (Zostavax) says it contains no latex.

link: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/b/latex-table.pdf

and

""The container closure systems of ZOSTAVAX and the diluent are free of latex.""

link: http://www.merck.ca/assets/en/pdf/products/zostavax-pm_e.pdf

Both of these references say they were updated 7/2014.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Well I certainly found this thread interesting because I just got the bill a few days ago for having the shot back in late July. My insurance did not cover it and not only was the charge for the vaccine $361.00 but there also a $51.00 charge for something listed as IMMUINIZ ADMIN, 1 SINGLE/COMB VAC/TOXOID which I'm guessing is the charge for jabbing me with the needle.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, shaggygirl, that^^^^ is high, yikes! I don't feel like I'm the only one who paid out of pocket now and certainly not the most.

I got mine a couple years ago at age 63. I had no insurance and no doctor so just went to my local Costco when I realized I didn't need a Rx. It was just under $200.00. My dh had already gotten his 2 years before that and under the insurance he still had at the time (with quite a high monthly premium), it was covered except for a small co-pay for office visit only.

But I still feel nothing but gratitude that this vaccine is available at almost any cost after seeing what my mom went through back in the 80s. We have had other friends and family members, both older and younger than us, with horrible cases too. Even your over $400 bill is a small price to pay when compared with weeks, months, sometimes even years of pain and suffering.

That said, I would be most upset at the fact that your doctor (I'm assuming here) did not advise you that you could go elsewhere and pay much less!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Esteemed Contributor

No the doctor didn't advise me of any such thing. He did tell me that if they didn't it was quite expensive but I told him to go ahead and give it to me because I too know a few people who suffered with it and that if I had to I'd pay for it. As I was leaving there the lady at the desk was on hold with my insurance company trying to find out but I had to get on my way to make it on time for a dental appointment so couldn't wait to find out the answer. I did go back through my monthly statements that I get from my insurance company that tell me what they've paid and not paid and what I've paid in out of pocket so far for the year and I did see it listed as them not paying anything towards it. I should have paid more attention to it line by line instead of just filing it away and I would have known to expect a big bill.

Honored Contributor

I know several people who came down with Shingles long before they were 60; so, hubby and I had the vaccine when we were 50. Our insurance company paid even though their policy stipulated 60 and over.

Respected Contributor

I had the shingles vaccine done by my doctor's office. I had no problems. Where did you have yours done? Why not go back there and have someone look at the site and just make sure?

Honored Contributor

On 11/17/2014 chrystaltree said:

I know several people who came down with Shingles long before they were 60; so, hubby and I had the vaccine when we were 50. Our insurance company paid even though their policy stipulated 60 and over.

My hubby had a case of shingles at 55, mild case, but it ruined a vacation. He got the shot soon after he recovered and our insurance company did not pay, we had it done at a local medical clinic and there was something with the paper work etc, so we ended up paying the full $300 out of pocket

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

On 11/17/2014 I am still oxox said:
On 11/17/2014 chrystaltree said:

My hubby had a case of shingles at 55, mild case, but it ruined a vacation. He got the shot soon after he recovered and our insurance company did not pay, we had it done at a local medical clinic and there was something with the paper work etc, so we ended up paying the full $300 out of pocket

My relative had the shot. Under age 60, costs $200. Insurance don't cover this.