Trusted Contributor

I got a shingles vaccine about two weeks ago. Where the injection was given (the back of my arm), I had a reaction, which is not uncommon. There was an area of about 3" x 4" or 5" that looked like one big hive--it was red, painful, and itched. This did not alarm me as I realize this is not an unusual side effect.

After about a week, the pain and itching subsided, but I still have a mark (albeit smaller than the original area) that looks like a pale red bruise. I am just wondering if anyone else had this sort of reaction and how long the mark remained. Like I said, I am not concerned at all, just curious as to what others experiences were. Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Shingles (Zoster) Vaccine

Vamp: My DH had the vaccine with no issues. I'm sure you'll be fine - if you have concerns just call your doctor's office to ease your mind (or wherever you had the shot).

I'm glad you had it, though. Shingles is a horrid thing to go through.

Be well.

Smile

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I had the shot in April. My arm was hot, red and itchy around the site for a couple of days, sort of like hives. The pharmacist warned me that would happen. I didn't have any mark afterwards though.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your responses. I am not at all concerned. I read that 1 in 3 people have a reaction like this, so it's not unusual and, of course, it varies from person to person. I was just curious if anyone had any anecdotal stories with similar experiences. I don't think the mark is permanent, but I was surprised that I can still see it two weeks later. It is definitely much better than it was the first week, so again, no concern.

I am very glad I got the vaccine. I tried to get it about 2 years ago when a friend of mine got shingles at age 56 and was very miserable. At the time, it was in short supply and I wasn't able to get it. Although I am only 54, I don't want to take the risk of ever getting shingles!

Super Contributor

Availability of the vaccine seems to vary widely. My pharmacy had a display sign urging anyone over 50 to get the shot; I filled out the form, but DH had recently changed jobs and our old pharmacy was now out of network for our new insurance. I phoned the insurer, who said yes, they absolutely cover it for anyone (even under 50s), but it was the pharmacies who were difficult to work with. The pharmacies all wanted a doctor's prescription. My doctor couldn't give the shot, it was only covered if I got it at a pharmacy. It was all very convoluted and bureaucratic, but in the end I got the scrip and all was fine at the pharmacy (albeit a different chain than my old one).

It was hard work getting it, but I'm glad I did. I sure don't want shingles (and yes, I know the shot isn't a guarantee of not getting shingles, but at least it should reduce the symptoms greatly).

Trusted Contributor

I got my shot at Walgreens, Clover, but I did have an Rx from my PCP. They don't give shots in their office either because it is a live vaccine and expensive to carry (at least that is what they told me). I guess Walgreens goes through the vaccines more quickly and they don't have to discard old medication.

You are lucky that your insurance paid for it. Mine did not, and the vaccine set me back around $225. However, I consider that money well spent if it prevents or reduces a shingles outbreak.

Super Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Vamp said:

I got my shot at Walgreens, Clover, but I did have an Rx from my PCP. They don't give shots in their office either because it is a live vaccine and expensive to carry (at least that is what they told me). I guess Walgreens goes through the vaccines more quickly and they don't have to discard old medication.

You are lucky that your insurance paid for it. Mine did not, and the vaccine set me back around $225. However, I consider that money well spent if it prevents or reduces a shingles outbreak.

Vamp: Many doctors do not carry it in office because it has to be refrigerated at a certain temp (frozen)? DH had his at CVS. Medicare paid a good portion of it, thankfully.

If he had still been on my ins. it would have cost $175 out of pocket. And the vaccine alone runs about $300 with no insurance, at least that's what we were told.

Respected Contributor

The same thing happened to me....it was very it chy. The i t ch went away before the mark...I don't remember how long it took.

It got smaller every day though.....maybe 10 days or so??? I put Cortaid on it.

***Stupid standards would not allow my post to save until I changed the spelling of ""i t ch""

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

I had a very large red patch a few days after the shot, lasted about a week.

Honored Contributor

My doctor has it right in the office. I just went in asked for it, got it and was paid for by insurance at age 60.