Valued Contributor

Re: Sherri Shepherd court ruling

None of us have walked in her shoes.  We don't know what happened between her and Lamar.  He could have been a cheat, a liar, stolen from her,,,,we really dont know.  Whatever happened, it was bad enough for her to change her mind on tying herself to Lamar and a child which was not biologically hers. I'm not going to judge her.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

I think the whole thing is just an awful situation for everyone concerned.  I wonder when these surrogate babies grow up what their feelings will be.  I think the old fashion way works best. 

I saw Sally on an interview and he seemed whiney & dependent.I think he was looking for a meal ticket and Sherri wanted a husband and partner.  That being said it is unfortunate that the baby has to suffer.  I think that she has no feelings for the baby because it is not her egg and she does not love the father.  That being said she has responsibility for this child but I think the real father should be man up, get a job and support his biological child and not even want money from Sherri. 

Trusted Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

None of us have walked in her shoes.  We don't know what happened between her and Lamar.  He could have been a cheat, a liar, stolen from her,,,,we really dont know.  Whatever happened, it was bad enough for her to change her mind on tying herself to Lamar and a child which was not biologically hers. I'm not going to judge her.

This is about a baby -- an innocent life they BOTH decided to bring into this world.  Her shoes need to walk the responsible route and support and be a mother to the precious baby.  This is bigger than just Lamar and Sherri.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I was so very disappointed in Sherri regarding this child's birth and her decision to abandon this poor baby.

The court did the right thing, but it is too bad it had to go to court in the first place.  This is so sad and heartbreaking.

My thoughts exactly @Carmie.  She may be required to pay, but she isn't required to have a relationship with the child, which is a shame.  Hopefully, the baby gets all the love and good upbringing they need from Lamar Sally and whomever he ends up with.  It really stinks, IMO.  Shepherd made the choice.  It's neither the surrogate's fault or the baby's fault that Shepherd and Sally were having marital problems and stupidly thought a baby would solve them.  I've lost all respect for Sheri Shepherd, for thinking she could just get out of the arrangement as if she were returning something to Wal-mart after changing her mind.  A shame indeed. 

That's absolutely not a shame. The last thing a child needs in his or her life is to spend time with a person who is being forced to do so. That brings resentment. You can't be forced to love a child and if you don't love a child, you shouldn't be involved in the child's life. If she pays support and comes to know and love that child, that would be great. But love cannot be forced with a court order.

@ChynnaBlue  You're right, that was poorly stated on my part.  What I was thinking and what I typed did not come across well.  I agree with you that a forced relationship would likely be damaging.  The part that I thought was a shame was that one minute she wanted the child and then to turn around and want to abandon it, that's the shame - to treat a human being as merchandise.  The best option would be as you explained, to have a relationship develop in a more natural way.  

Thanks for coming back to clarify, @JeanLouiseFinch, You're absolutely right, her reversal really is a shame for everyone involved.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@baker wrote:

I think it's elitist to to call SS uneducated because she did not graduate college. I know a few so called educated women and men who are stupid when it comes to relationships. I think when you make your living in the public eye you say and do things to keep people interested in you.

Is it untrue that she didn't get an education?    So if she didn't get an education, isn't she uneducated?   What is "elitist" about factual information?

@Tinkrbl44You are accurate, in the strictest sense of the word, but I believe the point being made, and one I was also attempting to make, is that education is obtained in many ways.  Sherri Shepherd may not have earned a college degree, but lack of a college degree does not equate to being UNeducated.  She has obtained education via experiences, associations, being someone who has lived to the age of 40 and being exposed to many things throughout her life - good and bad, yet all opportunities to learn.  I believe the elitist aspect comes from assuming the only way one is eductated, or has a worthy education, is if they hold a college or university degree in something, which is limiting and simply not true.  There are many successful people out there, business owners and such, who never attended college.

I fully agree with the idea that there are many people who are:    intelligent, bright, savvy, self-taught and successful in spite of not having a formal education.    However, Sherri came on the View with no more than a 5th grade vocabulary .....    and said she believed the world is flat, so I don't see how anyone could call her educated .......   and it's not elitist to say so.   JMO

Honored Contributor

RE: Earth comment

Out of curiosity, I just viewed the video.   Anyone who is anyone will understand what she was trying to convey.  It's a Evolution vs Creation argument...and she dug her heels into the 'Creation Sand' & wouldn't budge....and of course, the interweb ran with it.  Ironic the same people believing that statement calls her uneducated.  Ironic, indeed.

A quick Google search found this comment:

"Yesterday, during a discussion on evolution, Shepherd and Hasselbeck both discussed Bible verses that made them doubt evolution.

Goldberg, who is the show’s moderator, pressed Shepherd on her beliefs, asking if Shepherd “believed the earth was flat.” Shepherd refused to answer. She shrugged off the question, claiming that she’s more concerned with day-to-day issues than with caring whether the earth is round or flat. However, Goldberg, and show creator Barbara Walters, wouldn’t accept Shepherd’s non-response.

When asked what she would do if her son came to her and asked if the world was flat, she replied, “I’d take him to the library.”

Despite Shepherd’s noncommittal answer, various press outlets have already run stories proclaiming that she genuinely believes the earth is flat. Many bloggers and columnists felt that Shepherd’s religious beliefs and stances on other topics like abortion and evolution meant she simply had to believe in a flat earth, although I personally failed to see the connection.

Saying “I don’t know” isn’t the same thing as saying "Yes."

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I was so very disappointed in Sherri regarding this child's birth and her decision to abandon this poor baby.

The court did the right thing, but it is too bad it had to go to court in the first place.  This is so sad and heartbreaking.

My thoughts exactly @Carmie.  She may be required to pay, but she isn't required to have a relationship with the child, which is a shame.  Hopefully, the baby gets all the love and good upbringing they need from Lamar Sally and whomever he ends up with.  It really stinks, IMO.  Shepherd made the choice.  It's neither the surrogate's fault or the baby's fault that Shepherd and Sally were having marital problems and stupidly thought a baby would solve them.  I've lost all respect for Sheri Shepherd, for thinking she could just get out of the arrangement as if she were returning something to Wal-mart after changing her mind.  A shame indeed. 

@JeanLouiseFinch, this is the first I'm reading about this and I'm shocked. I feel exactly the same way that you do. 

I always liked Sherri and I appreciated her open minded, thoughtful perspective on the view (even though I was more in Whoppi's corner). One thing that really struck me about all of this is how she would frequently preface her perspective as having been informed by her Christian faith. 

Now I'm more of a spirituality, one-on-one relationship with whatever is "beyond"... but I have a deep respect for anyone who talks the talk and walks the walk of their religious perspective. So I'm really confused as to how her Christian faith was informing her in this case. 

She's a grown woman and, as such, legally responsible for the decisions she makes and contracts she breaks... and that's not even considering the fact that there was this newborn precious bundle of joy involved.

Once this is finished, and the dust settles, I hope she finds some quiet time for reflection about this. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Contributor

I totally agree that i don't think Sherri Shephard is the bad guy here. Her ex-husband saw an easy meal ticket and knowing that child support would get him that, he pressed for them to have a baby. What about children who have biological parents and feel unwanted, why would this child feel unwanted if this child is loved and that is key, not to be used for a meal ticket. Just my opinion...! and i am sticking to it.

Honored Contributor

@lovejoy2u wrote:

I totally agree that i don't think Sherri Shephard is the bad guy here. Her ex-husband saw an easy meal ticket and knowing that child support would get him that, he pressed for them to have a baby. What about children who have biological parents and feel unwanted, why would this child feel unwanted if this child is loved and that is key, not to be used for a meal ticket. Just my opinion...! and i am sticking to it.

Again, the only reason she's paying child support is because she CHOSE to abandon the child. Period. 

She could have asked for custody and she probably would have gotten it. At least partial custody. But no she doesn't want to see the child or support it. She has no one to blame but herself here. Just like dead beat dads, she's got to pay the piper. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval