Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sherri Shepherd court ruling

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I was so very disappointed in Sherri regarding this child's birth and her decision to abandon this poor baby.

The court did the right thing, but it is too bad it had to go to court in the first place.  This is so sad and heartbreaking.

My thoughts exactly @Carmie.  She may be required to pay, but she isn't required to have a relationship with the child, which is a shame.  Hopefully, the baby gets all the love and good upbringing they need from Lamar Sally and whomever he ends up with.  It really stinks, IMO.  Shepherd made the choice.  It's neither the surrogate's fault or the baby's fault that Shepherd and Sally were having marital problems and stupidly thought a baby would solve them.  I've lost all respect for Sheri Shepherd, for thinking she could just get out of the arrangement as if she were returning something to Wal-mart after changing her mind.  A shame indeed. 

I'm not sure Sherri is the bad guy here .......  I think Lamar saw Sherri as a meal ticket from Day One.    Having a baby with her and asking for custody is how he assures a continuous cash flow for years to come ..... but she didn't realize his motivation until it was too late.   (IMO)    

Sherri Shepherd is no dummy.  She is educated, was on The View for many years, hasn't lived a cloistered existence, knows whats it's like to be "had" by a man who wasn't what she thought he was, and now owns a company.  You don't do all that and then claim ignorance.  Her name is on the birth certificate.  That makes her the "mother".  If Sally dies, God forbid, the child would likely go to her (perish the thought).  What Sherri Shepherd tried to do, even though legally, is no better than a deadbeat dad who knocks someone up and then dumps her or the other kind of deadbeat dad who acknowledges that he's the father, but is never on time with child support yet has the nice car and toys for himself.

I disagree ... Sherri is a high school grad, but I could find nothing in her bio that indicates she is "educated".   When she first came on the View, her vocabulary was that of a fifth grader and they started providing her with words to add to her ad lib comments, which she mispronounced on a regular basis.    She has been incarcerated and isn't known for making smart decisions.   

I stil think Lamar might have defrauded her to have a meal ticket.   That would explain why she wants nothing to do with the child.   There's definitely more there than meets the eye.

Whatever his motives may have been concerning the marrage, she agreed to be the mother of this baby.  Just sad for the little boy it all had to come to a court battle.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Where did anyone get the idea that she is educated?  She can't pronounce anything with more than four letters and thought the earth was flat until someone bought her a globe.  Although I like her and think she's funny, she certainly isn't educated.  I don't think she's all that rich either.  I know she is/was selling her home in NJ for a little over 2 Million because that's where they lived when they were married.  

Now, that she's divorced (again), she needs the money and will take most gigs offered to her.  I think she probably has spent most of her money by now.  I think she kept her apt. in NYC because that's where Jeffrey goes to school.  

Valued Contributor

Wigs

Honored Contributor

I believe the education he was speaking of is life experience.  It's not like she's naive when it comes to interacting with men at the age of 40 something with the history she has shared with the public.  And if you are running a business (which she is), even with help, you are not so oblivious to not know what you are signing when you make an agreement such as this one was.  The girl has to have a personal lawyer by this point.  Her entire career is based upon contracts and signing and agreeing to terms.    

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lotus wrote:

Does anyone know for a fact whose egg and whose sperm the surrogate carried?

His sperm and a donated egg.  Not sure why that would matter, when they all signed the contract the baby became both of theirs.

I don't recall saying that it did.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sherri  knew what she was getting into. It wasn't a meal ticket (child support) for Lamar imo. The contract should of said what should happen, in the event of a divorce/etc..  The baby didn't ask for this outcome. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I was so very disappointed in Sherri regarding this child's birth and her decision to abandon this poor baby.

The court did the right thing, but it is too bad it had to go to court in the first place.  This is so sad and heartbreaking.

My thoughts exactly @Carmie.  She may be required to pay, but she isn't required to have a relationship with the child, which is a shame.  Hopefully, the baby gets all the love and good upbringing they need from Lamar Sally and whomever he ends up with.  It really stinks, IMO.  Shepherd made the choice.  It's neither the surrogate's fault or the baby's fault that Shepherd and Sally were having marital problems and stupidly thought a baby would solve them.  I've lost all respect for Sheri Shepherd, for thinking she could just get out of the arrangement as if she were returning something to Wal-mart after changing her mind.  A shame indeed. 

That's absolutely not a shame. The last thing a child needs in his or her life is to spend time with a person who is being forced to do so. That brings resentment. You can't be forced to love a child and if you don't love a child, you shouldn't be involved in the child's life. If she pays support and comes to know and love that child, that would be great. But love cannot be forced with a court order.

@ChynnaBlue  You're right, that was poorly stated on my part.  What I was thinking and what I typed did not come across well.  I agree with you that a forced relationship would likely be damaging.  The part that I thought was a shame was that one minute she wanted the child and then to turn around and want to abandon it, that's the shame - to treat a human being as merchandise.  The best option would be as you explained, to have a relationship develop in a more natural way.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lotus wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lotus wrote:

Does anyone know for a fact whose egg and whose sperm the surrogate carried?

His sperm and a donated egg.  Not sure why that would matter, when they all signed the contract the baby became both of theirs.

I don't recall saying that it did.

If it does not matter, then why ask.  Never mind, have  nice Holiday.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

joubran....i thought her home was in Harlem; there was a special with a party at her home there; did she move since? 

Esteemed Contributor

I have never thought Sherry was an intellectual phenomenon. Therefore, I didn't expect her to choose a husband that was top notch. I wonder about the whole decision to have a surrogate child in the first place at her age. Whose idea was it? I also don't even know if he had an income on his own. I think I read that he wanted full custody and that that was why Sherry relinquished any claim to the child. She was advised that the full custody ploy was an attempt to extort money from her so she could share custody. I really don't know what I think about the judgement, nor do I really care, I guess. I quit listening to her the day she said she thought the world was flat.