Respected Contributor

Sherri Shepherd court ruling

Will pay child support to child born via surrogate.
Honored Contributor

Re: Sherri Shepherd court ruling

[ Edited ]

That's good news.  She should, after all.  LUXHAIR profits will help.

Honored Contributor

I haven't followed her case.  What precedents does it set?

Honored Contributor

I was so very disappointed in Sherri regarding this child's birth and her decision to abandon this poor baby.

The court did the right thing, but it is too bad it had to go to court in the first place.  This is so sad and heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I was so very disappointed in Sherri regarding this child's birth and her decision to abandon this poor baby.

The court did the right thing, but it is too bad it had to go to court in the first place.  This is so sad and heartbreaking.

My thoughts exactly @Carmie.  She may be required to pay, but she isn't required to have a relationship with the child, which is a shame.  Hopefully, the baby gets all the love and good upbringing they need from Lamar Sally and whomever he ends up with.  It really stinks, IMO.  Shepherd made the choice.  It's neither the surrogate's fault or the baby's fault that Shepherd and Sally were having marital problems and stupidly thought a baby would solve them.  I've lost all respect for Sheri Shepherd, for thinking she could just get out of the arrangement as if she were returning something to Wal-mart after changing her mind.  A shame indeed. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry this had to play out in court, but I am glad to see justice in this matter.

For the life of me, I don't understand how someone with her resources would not want to assume some responsibility for this child.  How can you turn your back on an innocent baby?

Honored Contributor

I agree with you, I have no respect for her at this point. The court did the right thing. She has a right to make a living but I won't watch any QVC presentation for her products and I'll never buy anything from her line. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I understand all of your feelings, but I don't think she used her egg, so maybe she felt she owed the child nothing?

Esteemed Contributor

Well, of course. Thank goodness for our legal system!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@evelyner , I also have mixed feelings, trying to understand how she could feel it is right to do this, and knowing nothing about the case since this is the first I've heard of it.  The only things I can think of is, perhaps her estranged husband is the one who pushed for this baby, so Sherri might feel it is 'more' his responsibilty to follow through on, than hers?  Just speculation.  There are 2 main types of surrogates...ones who use their bodies as profit-making machines, since creating life is easy for them & they don't mind it...and people who thoughtfully choose to give infertile couples the chance at having a baby that they cannot create, themselves.  Neither type of surrogate would enter into the creation process without the contracted parent(s) planning on eventually taking over the care of this child created just for them, so it isn't fair to leave the surrogate holding the bag...er...baby.  What is the story with the estranged husband...is he taking over the care of the baby?  Maybe Sherri feels taken advantage of financially, and is balking at that?  As I said, I don't know what the facts are, so this is just speculation on my part.  The worst part is, this child will always feel unwanted & abandoned, and that is truly sad.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo