Respected Contributor

Re: She is a much better woman than I am!!

I kindly restate that the OP is using an old saying that is much like the southern expression “bless your heart.” It has a subtle subtext. She is not literally saying the woman is “better” but rather expressing disbelief or wonderment about another woman’s situation that you find incredulous or beyond something you could manage. It must be a somewhat regional expression or one that is dying out or at least unfamiliar to a lot of posters.

Esteemed Contributor

@SunValley  Thanks to you and others who explained or understood what I was saying.  I also did an additional post explaining "IT'S AN EXPRESSION", like "I'm so hungry I  could eat a horse", it's not a literal statement.

I said the same thing to my niece who cleaned out her mini-van at midnight because she didn't want to go to bed with the inside dirty. (it was never ever what I consider dirty). My words to her were," You're a better woman than I am".

BTW,my daughter has no children, nor does my son.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I don't think she's "better."  I think she's irresponsible and borderline stupid.

What is irresponsible about having a lot of kids? If you have the means to support them you should have as many as you want.

On the other hand I do not want to have to contribute to their support, e.g., welfare.

@froggy, yes, I get it. Those who are financially strapped should not have kids. But those are well-off should procreate to their heart's desire.

Guess what? We all pay more regardless of the family's wealth or lack thereof. Now, having said that, I don't mind paying taxes. But I'm just disputing your point.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I'm wondering whether those who seem to admire families with tons of children have a particular limit in mind.

In other words, is eight enough? How about ten? Twelve?

Is there a point at which we stop glamorizing the whole process?

And again, yes, children, the end result of pregnancy, are a blessing if they are wanted, of course. But the pregnancy itself is not the point and can be hard on the body when it's continual.

So families can find many blessings out there. There are so many children in need of a loving home. That seems to me to be even more of a blessing for all involved.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I don't think she's "better."  I think she's irresponsible and borderline stupid.

What is irresponsible about having a lot of kids? If you have the means to support them you should have as many as you want.

On the other hand I do not want to have to contribute to their support, e.g., welfare.

@froggy, yes, I get it. Those who are financially strapped should not have kids. But those are well-off should procreate to their heart's desire.

Guess what? We all pay more regardless of the family's wealth or lack thereof. Now, having said that, I don't mind paying taxes. But I'm just disputing your point.

@suzyQ3 

I guess we all pay taxes that go for purposes we disagree with. That's the nature of our government. You and I will just have to disagree on this one.

Nevertheless I'll just say that I generally agree with your thoughtful posts. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'm wondering whether those who seem to admire families with tons of children have a particular limit in mind.

And again, yes, children, the end result of pregnancy, are a blessing if they are wanted, of course. But the pregnancy itself is not the point and can be hard on the body when it's continual.

So families can find many blessings out there. There are so many children in need of a loving home. That seems to me to be even more of a blessing for all involved.

@suzyQ3 

i dont think anyone is glamorizing large families nor do i think people are "admiring" them.

for me, it is a choice that a woman or family has to make.....it is THEIR choice, not mine. it would also be their choice as to whether or not they want to adopt. some families choose to have no children, some families choose to have a dozen. i dont admire or glamorize a family on the choices they make in this respect.

As of 2018, the U.S. Census Bureau counted about 83.09 million families in the United States. The average family consists of 3.14 persons in 2018, down from 3.7 in the 1960s. This is reflected in the decrease of children in family households overall.

(via statista.com)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I’m one of seven children....which one(s) of us shouldn’t have been born?

We were far from rich in “things” ...but were raised with care and love.  We are still very close as adults.  I don’t consider my parents were “irresponsible.”  They were wonderful.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have been blessed with children through giving birth and adoption from the U.S. The number of children in foster care who are waiting for forever homes in staggering..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I never tell other people how to live their lives, nor do I let others tell me what to do.

When I knew a larger family was not in the cards for me, I spent my time trying to make a difference for families that were struggling with food ,shelter, and clothing. I knew I could help them  so I did

I don't have to defend or explain my position to anyone else

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 

i dont think anyone is glamorizing large families nor do i think people are "admiring" them.

for me, it is a choice that a woman or family has to make.....it is THEIR choice, not mine. it would also be their choice as to whether or not they want to adopt. some families choose to have no children, some families choose to have a dozen. i dont admire or glamorize a family on the choices they make in this respect.

As of 2018, the U.S. Census Bureau counted about 83.09 million families in the United States. The average family consists of 3.14 persons in 2018, down from 3.7 in the 1960s. This is reflected in the decrease of children in family households overall.

(via statista.com)

@sunshine45, you might not glamorize large families, but others' words and actions indicate that it is a factor. And remember, this thread started out with one or two examples of a woman having an many, many pregnancies within a short period of time.