Honored Contributor

Re: She doesn't like to go if she has to buy a Gift.

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Buy what you like and can afford. But really is there anything more boring than a wedding shower? My daughter and I have decided we're done with wedding showers. 

@MoJoV

Um ... yes there is.  Baby showers are just as boring, if not more  ....  and guests are expected to sit there and Ooooh   and  Ahhhh ?     Give me a break.

This is exactly why I just don't go to showers. I despise them. The last shower that I went to was a wedding shower for the daughter of my best friend. The bride-to-be had requested "no games, no passing around the gifts for people to paw at". Gifts were placed on a table as they were opened, but we still had to put up with the games. I do send a gift when invited if it's someone that I'm close to, otherwise I just send my regrets and best wishes. 

At least they were opened.  The last two I went to, right on the invite was "be a dear and wrap in clear" - only the card was opened, the gift wasn't even held up, it was "oh it's my whatever, from so and so".

Honored Contributor

Hmm my bridal shower was a beautiful luncheon, not silly games

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Mj12wrote:

@JBKOwrote:

This is what a former coworker once said. She was referring to parties such as weddings, baby showers, birthdays, houswarmings, etcs? At first I thought that was kind of a bad attitude to have, but now I'm totally with her! With all these gift registries asking for expensive gifts ($500 stroller??), I'm really not looking forward to all these parties I'm invited to. Sometimes I wish I could just bring my own gift that I didn't necessarily find on a registry.What is  your feeling?

I think it is a bad attitude; I'm always happy to be invited and share in someone's party/day/event etc. 

I'm so happy to see this!  I was starting to think it was just me.  :-)

And yes, I agree that it's a bad attitude.  Honestly, I feel that if anyone doesn't want to attend, then please don't!   No one wants that kind of negative energy spoiling their big day. I certainly wouldn't want anyone at my special occasions who didn't want to be there.  Don't attend.  Problem solved.

I agree. I just read a post elsewhere by someone in a wedding. They were complaining about the cost of travel and being in the wedding. Yikes, just decline then. Openly complaining about it on the internet is tacky and rude.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nun ya  I beg to differ with your opinion on others complaining on the Internet and labeling it rude. It is interesting to note that you are in the position of judging someone else's opinion with your own. Whew, What a type full.

People come on the forum to get ideas, share viewpoints and sometimes complain. There are professional moderators that review said thread for parameters established by the owners of the forum, QVC.

Sometimes people get validation through others for their feelings or viewpoints. Do I always agree? No. However, to label someone rude for the expression of said opinion via the Internet, is just well.....rude.

Respected Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@nun ya  I beg to differ with your opinion on others complaining on the Internet and labeling it rude. It is interesting to note that you are in the position of judging someone else's opinion with your own. Whew, What a type full.

People come on the forum to get ideas, share viewpoints and sometimes complain. There are professional moderators that review said thread for parameters established by the owners of the forum, QVC.

Sometimes people get validation through others for their feelings or viewpoints. Do I always agree? No. However, to label someone rude for the expression of said opinion via the Internet, is just well.....rude.

I didn't say it was here. It was on Facebook...you know...where people use their real name. If the complainer was close to enough to be in someone's wedding, I am assuming they are friends on Facebook. Saying outward and openly that "this wedding is a racket"...is rude. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox

I remember the first time I attended a bridal shower, and when they started with the stupid games. 

All I could think was is this REALLY all grown women can come up with?  My opinion of their intellect dropped considerably .....  and I couldn't wait to slip out the door and get out of there!  

Honored Contributor

I appreciate when there is a wide range of prices on a registry.  If I am very close to the receiver, I choose a more expensive gift or a couple of us will go in together and choose something pricier.

OTOH, it's also nice to be able to pick something less expensive if that is your budget.

I have received obsure invites to things by people I really don't know and who wouldn't know me if they ran into me on the street.  In those instances, I choose not to attend because I feel it's a gift grab or poor manners.

I generally purchase from someones' registry but as others have said, you don't have to. 

For some reason, I have a problem with certain registries like ones where the couple wants the guests to pay for their honeymoon or where guests are gold "cash only."       

Honored Contributor

Don't go.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Mine was too.

I've been to a lot of showers, and I think there was only one that had a game.  I don't remember it being that big a deal.  All the others have been teas or luncheons, very nice and enjoyable, with mostly socializing and having a good time.

Esteemed Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@Deanie wrote:

I didn't say it was here. It was on Facebook...you know...where people use their real name. If the complainer was close to enough to be in someone's wedding, I am assuming they are friends on Facebook. Saying outward and openly that "this wedding is a racket"...is rude. 

I agree.  We're anonymous here, so venting isn't going to end up being hurtful to someone.  Facebook is a whole other story because family and friends of the couple - not to mention the couple themselves - are likely to see such a post.  That kind of criticism doesn't belong on Facebook.  It seems designed to stir up trouble and is unnecessarily mean, not to mention incredibly immature.

(I knew you meant it wasn't on these forums since you had said "elsewhere".)