Honored Contributor

Re: Share your fave tunes that bring you back to the 'good ole' days'...

@just bee wrote:

There are songs that really do transport you to another time.  Whenever I hear Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me) by The Temptations, I'm eleven years old again and this song is playing on K-101 FM, the window is open and there's a breeze.  I've got all my clothes on my bed and I'm deciding what I should pack for sixth grade camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

That image has stayed in my mind since 1971.

@just bee  We are about the same age! I was born in 59'! I also know exactly what you mean...

The song 'Waterloo' by Abba and 'Rock the Boat' by the Hues Corporation bring me back to when I kept playing those tunes on a juke box at a resort/motel with log cabins by a lake in VA (forgot the name of it...couldn't even find it online...must not exist anymore...lol) while we were on a family vaca in the summer of 1974...

And all the tunes we'd listen to in the long car treks too...Ahhh...memories Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@just bee wrote:

There are songs that really do transport you to another time.  Whenever I hear Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me) by The Temptations, I'm eleven years old again and this song is playing on K-101 FM, the window is open and there's a breeze.  I've got all my clothes on my bed and I'm deciding what I should pack for sixth grade camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

@just bee  We are about the same age! I was born in 59'! I also know exactly what you mean...

The song 'Waterloo' by Abba and 'Rock the Boat' by the Hues Corporation bring me back to when I kept playing those tunes on a juke box at a resort/motel with log cabins by a lake in VA (forgot the name of it...couldn't even find it online...must not exist anymore...lol) while we were on a family vaca in the summer of 1974...

And all the tunes we'd listen to in the long car treks too...Ahhh...memories Smiley Very Happy

Yup, 1959.  And the best song that year?  Mack the Knife.  When I think of '74, I also think of Waterloo and Rock the Boat. 

But there were so many good ones that year…

Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do) -- Aretha Franklin (Heard it on the car radio in November 1973 on my way to see The Who at the Cow Palace.  It was raining.  Keith Moon collapsed behind his drum kit.  Twice.)

You Make Me Feel Brand New -- The Stylistics

Bennie and the Jets -- Elton John

Hooked On a Feeling -- Blue Swede

The Air That I Breathe -- The Hollies

Rikki Don't Lose that Number -- Steely Dan

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Yup, 1959.  And the best song that year?  Mack the Knife.  When I think of '74, I also think of Waterloo and Rock the Boat. 

But there were so many good ones that year…

Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do) -- Aretha Franklin (Heard it on the car radio in November 1973 on my way to see The Who at the Cow Palace.  It was raining.  Keith Moon collapsed behind his drum kit.  Twice.)

You Make Me Feel Brand New -- The Stylistics

Bennie and the Jets -- Elton John

Hooked On a Feeling -- Blue Swede

The Air That I Breathe -- The Hollies

Rikki Don't Lose that Number -- Steely Dan

@just bee  Ah yes...and so many others. I think I wore out the grooves on that 45 single...LOL

Frequent Contributor

Any song by The Beatles and/or The Beach Boys takes me right back to childhood.  My parents played their albums (yes, vinyl LP's!!!) all the time. 

Honored Contributor

Every song on The Cars "Candy-O" - Dangerous Type, Let's GO ("I like the nightlife, BABY!), It's All I Can Do.

Etc. Etc.

Just me and The Cars out on Fire Island.  Surf, sand, and tunes.

*ahhhhhhhhhhh*

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

Marvin Gaye's 'Heard It On the Grapevine'...1969,lunch/recess w/my girlfriend, hangin in a VW bus.

Funny, but l like the original version, by Gladys Knight and the Pips, the best. It's great for singing along-- l like to do the Pips' harmony, lol. And then there's also the Creedence version... All three versions are good, each done in a different style.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee

Holding Back the Years -- Simply Red

Oh yeah!  Love it.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee

Lean On Me -- Bill Withers

Let's Stay Together -- Al Green

Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) -- Looking Glass

Nice to Be With You -- Gallery

Betcha By Golly, Wow -- The Stylistics

Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress) -- The Hollies

How Do You Do -- Mouth and MacNeal

Song Sung Blue -- Neil Diamond

Everybody Plays the Fool -- The Main Ingredient

Precious and Few -- Climax

Last Night I Didn't Get to Sleep At All -- The 5th Dimension

Nights in White Satin -- The Moody Blues

Go All the Way -- The Raspberries

Too Late to Turn Back Now -- Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose

Day After Day -- Badfinger

I Can See Clearly Now -- Johnny Nash

Burning Love -- Elvis Presley

Hold Your Head Up -- Argent

Bang a Gong (Get It On) -- T. Rex

Where Is the Love -- Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway

Layla -- Derek and The Dominos

Black & White -- Three Dog Night

Hurting Each Other -- The Carpenters

School's Out -- Alice Cooper

Saturday in the Park -- Chicago

I Saw the Light -- Todd Rundgren

Join Together – The Who

Some of my favorites!  Thanks for sharing.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I was in my car this morning, going to stores, and I got to hear 'Imagine' by John Lennon.   Such a beautiful song.  I love to sing along but usually end up crying halfway through, because it's so beautiful.   Smiley Happy

That was on the way back - on the way TO the store I got to hear 'Crocodile Rock' by Elton John.   -  FUN!   la - lalalalala   Oh yeah.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Music really does jog the memory.  Temptation Eyes was the song the Dance instructor at the city Summer Stock theater used to teach some dance routines.  He was Quite the Dancer.  Whenever I hear Temptation Eyes on the radio I still hear " Head Up,  Balance,  aannddd.... FIVE, SIX ,SEVEN, EIGHT!  

Rare Earth in Concert was my brothers album  but I still remember coming down the street with a bunch of my friends from school and" I Just Want to Celebrate" was just blaring from my house. Who was playing the music since my brother was at practice?  "That's my Mom."  the astounded looks I got at that!  Your MOM?! 'Your Mom's a Hot...Ticket!  ( word changed to be polite. ).  We thought our parents were so OLD!  I still like to listen to that album.