Honored Contributor

Re: Share with us one or several reasons with regard to how you've had a "Positive" impact

There is one lady who I admire so much.

She is very elderly and one birthday she decided to thank all the people who made her life so good. Instead of celebrating herself, she celebrated everyone special to her in her life.

She also told me that if she can make one person, whether a stranger or friend or family, feel better or good today, then she has accomplished what she wanted to. 

She is such an inspiration to me and I know to many others.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Share with us one or several reasons with regard to how you've had a "Positive" impact

I think there is a difference between bragging, and letting your light shine, to inspire others. Scripture tells us to do this, and not to hide your light under a bushel basket..It is better to light one candle ,than to curse the darkness

I am sure that is what @sfnative  had in mind ,with this thread. It is a good deed in a dark world ,after reading all of the bad things , that people have done recently, and has been posted here today.

I know her to be a person of faith, and I think she is just showing how each of us can help others ,by small acts of kindess

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@OceanDreamer -

It really was not like that at all.

I guess you had to be there.

They were so happy and proud.

And there wasn't much happy in their lives.

@on the bay 

I think we're talking about 2 different things. Your example sounds like people who had no idea of their worth until it was pointed out to them. 

I can't imagine anyone would begrudge them self-awareness and happiness. 

Trusted Contributor

Did not want to heart the sharke post just the one @ItsME..sorry about that.  Happy for your GD.

Esteemed Contributor

@phluphy wrote:

Did not want to heart the sharke post just the one @ItsME..sorry about that.  Happy for your GD.

@phluphy  You can unheart a post just by clicking on it again.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @ILTH .

I guess I'm not getting the semantics in all this.

I bet most of us do not like "braggarts"

or getting a trophy for everything and nothing.

And self esteem does not have to be announced, but neither is it bragging.

Some people need more self-esteem.

In some work places, especially, people are criticised so much, it is wonderful to have an employer tell their employees-go for it and state all your accomplishments, rather then things you (or they) think you messed up on.

I think this is unusual and something to be applauded from an employer or management that does this. But maybe this is not related to most of this thread. Just my own experience I wanted to share.

Are we not all in the long run talking about the same encouraging things?

Anyway, nice thread. Thanks for trying @sfnative .

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

She was not  saying anything mean about anyone. She was telling a story about a kindness she showed to another, and what it meant to them. I wasn't offended ,nor did I think she was bragging

She didn't say my house is worth a fortune ,or I am the prettiest ,or the best educated person here. No one is forced to read this

I have enjoyed hearing everyone's contributions. When I  posted about working at my food pantry , I was hoping others might be interested enough, to think about helping at theirs... @Pruett 

I hope others will come forward, and talk about their  random acts of kindess, too

Frequent Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Pruett wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Why do people feel it's necessary to toot their own horns?

I don't know @CelticCrafter. If we want to inspire others then we can brag on other people's good works instead of our own imho.

^^^This!!!  I was always taught that one does good works because it's the right thing to do, not because it will be noticed or publicized. If someone else toots my horn, that's up to them, but I won't do it. 

^^^^^^^This!

Frequent Contributor

Beware of the "humblebrag". 😉

Honored Contributor

Beware of those that don't  have enough charity,  to appeciate others acts of kindess...