Respected Contributor

Re: Share with us one or several reasons with regard to how you've had a "Positive" impact

@OceanDreamer 

Thanks! Heart

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Regular Contributor

Re: Share with us one or several reasons with regard to how you've had a "Positive" impact

@on the bay wrote:

Speaking of "tooting your own horn"I'll tell you something interesting.

A vice principal at one of our schools told us this before we filled out our self-evaluations.

She said: "Toot your own horn!"

She said, if you don't, no one else will. 

That instilled in me such great confidence and I started writing all the things I had accomplished with the school and students that year. I was so happy and surprised to realize all I had done.

I never would have felt that way if she hadn't encouraged all of us to just be proud and loud is a another way to put it, because I too was not brought up to "brag" or "toot my own horn!"

We were all lucky to have her. We also had the best surpervisor ever as well.

I know there are many things all of us can probably say we are proud of. One that stands out for me is during college.

But rather than something I did, this is more a testiment to the power of hope inside each person.

I was doing an internship with disadvantaged and very troubled youth, some on drugs at very young ages. There were also 8 year old twins there that day, also on drugs I learned later.

Anyway we were doing the circle story. Anyone heard of that? Each person writes a sentence, followed by the next person etc.

When I first described it I just got several curse words of "I'm not going to"..." do"..."that"...!"

But one person started. Reluctantly, the next. Around the room they went, adding their own, so intrigued with their story, laughing sometimes, and then wanting to contribute.

In the end their story was tied together, and a cover made and decorated. 

You have never seen a circle of kids so proud of what they accomplished. They could not believe what they had created.

It just really showed me as it has over and over again, that there is hope and potential for those who many have lost hope in.

I've seen it so often, that when one person cares, it really can change someone's life. 

I've seen it when someone gave this to me,

or my children, or any person who really needs that someone in that moment or time in their lives. It really can create a miracle. 

And then we raise a generation of braggarts.

Reminds me of the trend to give everybody a trophy for participating.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

A vice principal at one of our schools told us this before we filled out our self-evaluations.

That instilled in me such great confidence and I started writing all the things I had accomplished with the school and students that year. I was so happy and surprised to realize all I had done.

I never would have felt that way if she hadn't encouraged all of us to just be proud and loud is a another way to put it, because I too was not brought up to "brag" or "toot my own horn!"

There's a difference between bragging and pointing out your accomplishments, traits, what makes you an asset to an organization during an interview, assessment, on a resume, etc. 

There's a difference between being self-assured and proud of who you are and being a braggart.

There's nothing wrong with self-esteem. But, generally, it doesn't have to be announced. It just shows. 

Esteemed Contributor

@OceanDreamer wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@Pruett wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Why do people feel it's necessary to toot their own horns?

I think it gives people ideas on what can be done for others. No tooting

But with all due respect if that's the goal then we can boast of things other people have done that inspired us.

Truthfully I don't know what others have done, untill I read these posts.  I only knew of what I have done. 

You have no examples of how others have had a positive effect on your life?

no, sorry I don't  I wish I did

what are your are examples? 

how did you find out if know one spoke of it?

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of Companies have employees write there own reviews. Should they not toot their own horn? I guess you might look at this differently but to me there is no difference.

Regular Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@OceanDreamer wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@Pruett wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

But with all due respect if that's the goal then we can boast of things other people have done that inspired us.

Truthfully I don't know what others have done, untill I read these posts.  I only knew of what I have done. 

You find out by taking the focus off your own accomplishments and putting it on the acts of others. No one ever had a positive impact on your life or that of your friends, family? I don't believe that.

Regular Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

There's a difference between bragging and pointing out your accomplishments, traits, what makes you an asset to an organization during an interview, assessment, on a resume, etc. 

There's a difference between being self-assured and proud of who you are and being a braggart.

There's nothing wrong with self-esteem. But, generally, it doesn't have to be announced. It just shows. 

Precisely @ILTH.

@Sage04 That's your answer.

Honored Contributor

@OceanDreamer -

It really was not like that at all.

I guess you had to be there.

They were so happy and proud.

And there wasn't much happy in their lives.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@OceanDreamer wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@Pruett wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I can in my case answer how to know without other people speaking of their own good works . It helped me to start keeping a Gratitude Journal @Mary Bailey to look at what I'm thankful for and who I'm thankful for after some posters here recommend it, paints a picture of the other people who are positive influences.❤️

Honored Contributor

Although this is slightly tongue in cheek, I don't think my niece and nephew would ever have gotten a home cooked meal or homemade dessert if it weren't for me. Their mother only cooked using an electric fry pan.