Esteemed Contributor

Re: Share with us one or several reasons with regard to how you've had a "Positive" impact

Hi Everyone!

I've been around for a number of decades, so have much from which to pull.  However, two things instantly came to mind:

Bringing my daughter into this world.  Many of us have daughters that are special.  I'm so over-the-moon with my daughter, who had such difficulties deciding what she was going to do with her life, but then finally decided on something in healthcare.  She has her own practice and works one-on-one with her patients.  After several years, she confidently stated that not only was she loving it, but that numerous of her patients had started calling her "a healer."  High regard, indeed.

During my short stint as a public high school teacher (in San Francisco), albeit substitute teacher, as that was the only option open to me, I landed a plumb long term (2 semesters) assignment.  This was during perhaps the most challenging time all teachers faced: drop-out rates soared to all-time highs; drug use existed at astounding and lethal rates;  drugs were sold on campus like lollipops;  and, I'll just stop there.  It was a dark time.

However, at the same time, same school, I came to realize that the school had a fencing team.  How exciting, I thought!  This means the school owns equipment.  Perhaps I could convince the powers-that-be to allow me to step into the gym to teach one period of fencing for 6 weeks, as that was the norm at the time: 6 weeks of one sport was followed by 6 weeks of another and so on.  I was making fine progress, until Mr. G., the fencing coach, was convinced I was after his job.  He was convinced otherwise and so began my 6 week tenure with a class of girls, none of whom, I believe, were interested in learning the basics of fencing.  On the first day I taught "advance," "retreat," and "engage."  For the remainder of the week, we worked on lunging and the basics of striking and parrying.  At one point, I looked over and had one of those moments some teachers never have:  within this first week: 2 of these brand new students to fencing were fencing as though they were meant to fence - had been doing it well-coached for at least 2 years.  After class, I asked both to speak with me and asked if they would be interested in trying out for the fencing team.  Both were so excited and said, "Yes."

How it turned out:  The oldest of the 2 students was denied a spot on the team because she was a senior.  However, Christine was a sophomore and gladly accepted.  After my 6 weeks with this group of young ladies, I lost all contact.  Then about two and a half years later, I received a fancy envelop and inside was an invitation for me and my husband to attend the GAA (Girls Athletic Association) Award Dinner in Chinatown, as 85% of the school was/is Asian - many celebrations held in large Chinatown restaurants.  So, my husband and I enter the restaurant and here comes a lovely young lady running up to me.  She stops to give me a big hug, then pulls away and bows.  It was Christine.  At this point, she grabbed onto a wide ribbon around her neck, pulled it up and lo and behold, there was a humongous gold medal dangling from it.

At that point, Christine, said ( I paraphrase), "Mrs. ______, I can never repay you for your kindness in bringing me to Mr. G. so I could be on the fencing team.  See this gold medal?  You made that possible.  I am the California Women's Champion and I now have a fully paid scholarship to the University of California Berkeley.  I think you know my parents could never afford to send me there.  We are very poor.  I will think of you always."

I started to cry, Christine started to cry, everyone standing around was crying.

This is a statement of my second reason for being here on this earth.  Christine would never have had that opportunity, if I had not pushed to teach that class.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Share with us one or several reasons with regard to how you've had a "Positive" impact

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I had a positive impact on my worthless ex-husband by divorcing him.....instead of burying his sorry behind in the backyard!

@KingstonsMom 

Great job!

I've broached the subject of what to do with my husband's earthly remains with him so many times I finally gave up and called the local university with a donation program.  So, when he kicks the bucket, all I have to do is call them and they'll pick him up.  I cannot tell you how much I'm relieved and my daughter agrees.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Why do people feel it's necessary to toot their own horns?

I think it gives people ideas on what can be done for others. No tooting

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

I decided to start this topic because I'm sick and tired of all the hate talk.

And, knew at least one or some people would get all over my case for doing so.

Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

Any student that doesn’t have a backpack or coat gets one. If I know the food is low in the house grocery gift card. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of elderly, I put the newspapers on the porch when I can. One single act of kindness can change a persons day. ❤️❤️  Thanks to all that will answer here for your kindness. ❤️❤️

@godi 

"One single act of kindness can change a persons day."

If we all took this to heart and acted upon it, even in a small way, what a better world this would be.

What you've said is real and it works.

XXX

Regular Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't know @CelticCrafter. If we want to inspire others then we can brag on other people's good works instead of our own imho.

Esteemed Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

A few years ago, a grand daughter-in-law of one of my mother's friends was studying to be a nurse.  She couldn't pass the first math test, which had to be done without using a calculator.  She'd had some tutors, but wasn't succeeding.  I offered to tutor her (for free), and, after a few sessions, she passed the test and was able to get her LPN!  YAY!

@ItsME 

Fantastic!  Very kind and generous.  Hope she remembers you, always.

You know, when schools, in general, started requiring students to have calculators my husband and I just knew that many students would either not be taught or would eventually lose the ability to function with real math.  When I was in school, we were even taught to do "figures" in our heads.

Regular Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I had a positive impact on my worthless ex-husband by divorcing him.....instead of burying his sorry behind in the backyard!

LOL! @KingstonsMom!

Regular Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I think it gives people ideas on what can be done for others. No tooting

But with all due respect if that's the goal then we can boast of things other people have done that inspired us.

Respected Contributor

@Pruett wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't know @CelticCrafter. If we want to inspire others then we can brag on other people's good works instead of our own imho.

^^^This!!!  I was always taught that one does good works because it's the right thing to do, not because it will be noticed or publicized. If someone else toots my horn, that's up to them, but I won't do it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~