Honored Contributor

Re: Share 3 wonderful things about the city, town or area in which you live.

St. Louis, Missouri here.......We do have a beautiful downtown for which we are so proud of......home of the ARCH (Gateway to the West), and the fantastic Busch Stadium (home of the Cardinals).......  Also have a fantastic Zoo, along with a children's zoo where they can pet and fed the babies.........and of course in the same area of the zoo, there is a very lovely art museum......

One very sad thing about the city of St. Louis is the high crime rate.  And the shootings have been horrendous here of late. 

I have lived here since 1957......but very short amount of that time was spent living in the city itself......Have lived in the county moves of the time.

We do have ideal weather here.....all 4 seasons.  

Know I have listed more than 3 things, but it is really a lovely area......to live in and visit.

Honored Contributor

We actually live in the woods, we have very tall pine and wild cherry trees all around us. We see deer, bunnies,squirrel, chip munk, and all kinds of birds right out side picture window. Sometime a skunk or a black bear will drop by , I'm not crazy about that, but it goes with the territory.LOL Town is about two miles down the road, but there are no stores, you have to travel to the next town to buy groceries, etc. The people are friendly, we do not have a police force. I'm very happy here and do not feel the need to see what else is out there.

Trusted Contributor

I live in The Rainbow State

The beach/ocean

The mountains

The trade winds

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

We've lived in Portland, OR for two years now, so I have a beginner's take on our newly adopted home town.

1.  Portland is a great city to raise kids.  It is soooo kid friendly: the number of playgrounds, parks, kid music cafes, indoor swimming venues for little ones, high-end exchange depots for moms and dads to exchange clothing and toys...I could go on and on.

2.  Green, green everywhere!  I simply love all of the diciduous trees in our city, surrounding areas and the fact that we can see snow capped Mt. Hood from our house.  We moved here from arid California (brown, brown, brown) and find that all of this green is refreshing to not only the eye, but the soul.

3. We have a thriving culinary community in Portland.  There's always a new and wonderful place to have a meal.  And we're blessed with a multitude of cultures as well, which equates to a party on my palatte. 

Please share your community with us.

It's also one of the healthiest cities, as they implemented bike paths everywhere years ago, and the city is well known for it.

Do you watch the TV series "Portlandia" on the IFC cable channel, Netflix, or Amazon Instant Video?

It's an awesome and funny satire of the town and its unique people, especially in the artsy areas.

The show is now on season 5, but previous seasons are available on Netflix and AIV.

It's so smart to move there, especially as it's much cheaper than CA!

I'm always reading that others are considering the move as well.

BTW, my current pick for OR is a town called Bend.

It's about 3 hours south of Portland, which would also be one of my picks.  8)

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I understand being wary about listing your city but it seems pointless hearing about a great place but not knowing where it is.  I live in North Florida in a small town with lots of humidity, heat and tourists.  I hear people talking about how great it is here but not great for me.  This is a great place for dermatologists. 

Esteemed Contributor

I live in a large metropolitan area just outside a large city.  To me it has everything imaginable.  There’s so much to do and see – museums, history, theater, parks, etc.  It’s also very diverse, all kinds of cultures, restaurants and stores.  It has good healthcare – doctors and hospitals. It was recently rated as one of the top 10 places to retire even though the cost of living is rather high. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's safer than the city I lived in (has become).

Pretty scenery here in rural PA.

It has a great Italian restaurant near by. (lol).

Other than that, to be honest I really don't like living here. Its kind of boring as having lived in the city forever (before it got bad there!). And the people here are not friendly like in the city. But I got remarried 8 plus years ago and my husband already had this beautiful house so this is where we are and will be forever. So I have learned to adapt, and I am used to it now.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@betteb wrote:

Oh well Raven, if somebody wants to track me down that bad, I say "Come on".....I got somethin' for 'emwink.jpg

57642-austin-powers-oh-behave-gif-Mi-RcZC.gif (499×209)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Preds wrote:

Honky TonksParthenon

OpryTootsiesPredators

The Hermitage, the Ryman, Vanderbilt Hospital, The Natchez Trace Parkway, Percy Warner and Edmond Warner Parks, The Belle Meade Plantation,  the list could go on forever.  Outdoor concerts in the parks and downtown.

And great people such as yourself, Preds.  8)

Had to add, LOL:  the food.

Trusted Contributor

feline groovy, I like Bend too!  I know I really enjoyed it when I went to visit Sisters, OR and then Bend and Sun River.  My friend told me that they have a lot of activities and skiing and outdoor sports there too and lots of snow!  She said it used to sometimes snow in September or early October and sometimes in May!  Now since its warmed up here in the country, she says its less so. 

My area, Medford, Ashland is very nice. I love the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.  We have nice trees, green and rolling hills too.  Close to the ocean really since its a short trip but close to the mountains too. 

I used to live in the LA area and though the traffic, taxes and lack of water are an issue, as well as expensive rent,  there are many great things about that city.  I lived near the ocean so it was beautiful and not too hot, like the valley.  Lots of different foods and shopping and things like aquariums, museums, and fun spots like Disneyland, Magic Mountain, studio tours, Universal studios.  Always something to do and see if a person wanted 24/7 and 365 days a year.