Respected Contributor

Re: Share 3 wonderful things about the city, town or area in which you live.

We have four seasons. 

In winter we have world class amenities for skiing.  The 2002 winter olympics were held here.

Tourism is a major industry.  We have beautiful national parks such as Zions, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches.

It's a metropolitan capital, so we every possible kind of entertainment.  Right now we have a big State holiday with lots of rodeos, parades and fireworks.

We have some of the best health care in the U.S. with a major cancer treatment hospital.

I can drive 30 minutes east from my house and be at a beautiful lake in the mountains, or drive 30 minutes west and be at the salt flats.

For me, the biggest drawback is the number of children in each classroom and the fact that our teachers are on the bottom end of the pay scale.  We stack 'em deep and teach 'em cheap.

Honored Contributor

All I can say is nothing nothing & more of nothing. I hate it here. My parents moved here after they retired. I got married so I'm stuck here until retirement at which time I hope we can get out of dodge. If nothing else I bought our plots in a different state far away. At least I know I will not be buried here. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

THE best lakefront in the continental U.S.

Fabulous theaters in the downtown area as well a community theaters

World class universities (De Paul, Northwestern, Loyola and University of Chicago.

We also have a home in the southwest for which we have:

The Grand Canyon

Fabulous mountain ranges

The Sonorran desert

Honored Contributor

Thank you Ms Preds for the heart. Actually there are so many more wonderful things going on in Columbus, to name just three is difficult which ones to post.

As for the zoo, you know the incomparable crazy animal lover Jack Hanna is our director.  We all know him from being on Dave Letterman's shows.  Jack has taken this zoo from almost nothing to becoming unbelievable.  And he keeps adding more and more to it.  You really need a couple of days to enjoy all of it and the animals he brings.  His zoo has become a rescue haven for many animals who need special care too.

If you're a foodie, there's not anything you crave and not find at least one restaurant to fill your desires.  Food trucks abound too with the best things too.

We have many state colleges and universities to help further one's education or get curious minds going.  At OSU alone we have one of the most prestigious medical center and vet center in the country, if not the world.  We are so blessed to have The Arthur G. James and Richard M Solove Cancer Hospital that just within the last year (October to be exact) that is one mind-blowing research/cure cancer hosptial they just spent MILLIONS on to upgrade it.  It is one phenom that I for one cannot stop bragging about.  I know this for a fact because this is where my husband's team resides.  In 8 months they cured him twice. Pardon my bragging on this one!

So many parks to enjoy, so many rich with history neighborhoods to choose to live in.  I will say t hough unfortunately we have a high crime rate in a few of them, so very sad. DIverse cultures and people too. And we are within 500 miles of any direction to go to many other great locations.

Don't forget about ice hockey Columbus Blue Jacket, and prof soccer, The Crew. The Jackets have been trying so hard, got into the playoffs 2 years ago, looking forward to what they're calling one of the best teams for this coming year.  We'll see!!!

Sorry I went on and on but this is a great city modern city to live in.

Respected Contributor

First, in a nod to the OP, I completely agree about Portland, Oregon.  I lived there ten years, and I loved it.  Beyond that, the only other state I'd want to live in besides my state now is Oregon.

Three things about where I live now:  Beautiful scenery.  Beautiful walking trails and hiking.  I live on an island and we are surrounded by beautiful blue water, views of the other islands and mountains, and lots of wildlife..  We have the sea and the forest.

Small town sense of community:  Lots of generous people here who give of their money and their time to help others and to preserve our wildlife and emvironment.

Lots of local, organic food and locally made products:  We have many local farms on all the islands that produce everything from vegetables and fruits, to dairy.  We have access to great seafood...including mussels and clams.  Wonderful lavender farms that make great lavender products.  

It's a very clean, peaceful place to live.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Contributor

I am fortunate enough to have found Montana after years of rattling around in various other places.  It's stunningly beautiful, vast, and you can live a simple life here.  My brother in law died from a blood clot on his way to work recently; he was in his thirties, hated where he lived, and he always dreamed about getting back to the mountains in PA where he grew up.  His passing was an important reminder to me that life is too bloody short to waste in a place I don't love.  

Respected Contributor

So well said, sfnative!!!

I guess if this was home, it would be different.  And it really isn't that bad (except for summer!!!)

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

it's quaint

it's small

no crime

Valued Contributor

1. We have a really good transit system.

2. Cost of living is decent.

3. We have lots of artistic endeavors ie. playhouses, etc. There is always something going on, we may not be on a NYC level but we do have lots of interesting things to do and see.

Valued Contributor

Surfk, I have been to Santa Fe, New Mexico a few times and loved it. There really is no place like it. The food is some of the best I have ever had. You are really fortunate to live there.