Esteemed Contributor

Share 3 wonderful things about the city, town or area in which you live.

We've lived in Portland, OR for two years now, so I have a beginner's take on our newly adopted home town.

1.  Portland is a great city to raise kids.  It is soooo kid friendly: the number of playgrounds, parks, kid music cafes, indoor swimming venues for little ones, high-end exchange depots for moms and dads to exchange clothing and toys...I could go on and on.

2.  Green, green everywhere!  I simply love all of the diciduous trees in our city, surrounding areas and the fact that we can see snow capped Mt. Hood from our house.  We moved here from arid California (brown, brown, brown) and find that all of this green is refreshing to not only the eye, but the soul.

3. We have a thriving culinary community in Portland.  There's always a new and wonderful place to have a meal.  And we're blessed with a multitude of cultures as well, which equates to a party on my palatte. 

Please share your community with us.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Share 3 wonderful things about the city, town or area in which you live.

We have a very nice zoo. Without giving away too much, here is an excerpt

"Zoo has quickly become recognized both nationally and internationally for its support of conservation programs and successful breeding of rare and endangered species. Having over 2,500 animals of nearly 500 different species, the zoo now ranks as the number one outdoor tourist attraction in the state."

It's a pretty good place for families, with lots of parks and such, and the schools are good.

We have revialized the downtown area with shops and quirky food establishments.

Population is approx 300,000

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

It's rural.

It's low-crime.

People are friendly.

Esteemed Contributor

@betteb wrote:

"Zoo has quickly become recognized both nationally and internationally for its support of conservation programs and successful breeding of rare and endangered species. Having over 2,500 animals of nearly 500 different species, the zoo now ranks as the number one outdoor tourist attraction in the state."

It's a pretty good place for families, with lots of parks and such, and the schools are good.

Two years ago, we moved from San Diego after I retired.  What you describe above, could very well be San Diego.  I simply LOVED the San Diego Zoo and the Animal Park.  Always a great place to take guests.

I grew up in a city with a great zoo and we ended up living about 1/2 mile from it when my daughter was growing up.  Spent many hours amongst wonderful animals.

Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It's rural.

It's low-crime.

People are friendly.

I can totally relate to your community, as all of the relative on my mother's side live in a rural area that's low crime and the people are certainly friendly (south-west Michigan).  It must be quite peaceful.  I never lived in an area I could call peaceful.  That would be wonderful!

Respected Contributor

@betteb wrote:

you gave away a WHOLE lot, you just don't realize it.......................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

Oh well Raven, if somebody wants to track me down that bad, I say "Come on".....I got somethin' for 'emwink.jpg

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It's rural.

It's low-crime.

People are friendly.

I can totally relate to your community, as all of the relative on my mother's side live in a rural area that's low crime and the people are certainly friendly (south-west Michigan).  It must be quite peaceful.  I never lived in an area I could call peaceful.  That would be wonderful!

It is wonderful - we want to move out into the country, even further. I want to have chickens again.

I would never want to live in a large, urban city.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I live in New York City, hence the name lol.

1) I live in a very nice co-op building. It's very well maintained and the people are friendly. There is hardly any noise.

2) I have many stores at walking distance like Gap, TJ Maxx, Best buy etc. It's so nice to just walk and be able to get everything done. I love that you're able to find clothes etc at all different price points. You really decide how much you want to spend on everything; it's not a matter of what is available.

3) I just love NYC. It's so diverse and convenient. You are able to find and do many things at all times of the day. If you have an emergency you can easily find a 24 hour pharmacy etc. There is so much to do so it's really just your choice.

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

O/T @sfnative I notice you asked me on another thread about my emoties. 

I just Google Images a phrase like "winking smiley face" or "blowing kisses smiley face" or whatever you are trying to express. Hundreds come up. I pick and save them to a file on my desktop for easy use.

blow-a-kiss-smiley-emoticon.gif

ETA- You can find some good stuff if you play around with your phrases. Like for this one, I think I Googled "kitty animated gif"

playing-kitty.gif