Respected Contributor

Shanus, need advice for budding "artiste"

Hi Shanus! I was going to post under "Home" but I don't think I have ever seen you there.

The long and short: every summer when I was growing up, I took art classes. I love art- everything about it and all aspects.

I always thought coloring books for grownups was a joke, and then my beloved DIL introduced me to them. While researching gifts for her, I discovered Prismacolor pencils....the rest is history.

I bought her a set-and myself-coloring books. I watched a few Prismacolor videos on YouTube, and I am on fire!

It awakened something in me: of course, I went to "The Great Courses" and bought the Drawing"course-graphite pencils and charcoal.

Easel required-check.....papers of varying sizes, check....

My question for you is all about the "drawing board"...we will be working on tables and easles(sic), but what should I be looking for? I do order from Blick-and this is a 101 class.

If you can suggest anything, it would be so appreciated!

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: Shanus, need advice for budding "artiste"

@Shanus

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Hi Shanus! I was going to post under "Home" but I don't think I have ever seen you there.

The long and short: every summer when I was growing up, I took art classes. I love art- everything about it and all aspects.

I always thought coloring books for grownups was a joke, and then my beloved DIL introduced me to them. While researching gifts for her, I discovered Prismacolor pencils....the rest is history.

I bought her a set-and myself-coloring books. I watched a few Prismacolor videos on YouTube, and I am on fire!

It awakened something in me: of course, I went to "The Great Courses" and bought the Drawing"course-graphite pencils and charcoal.

Easel required-check.....papers of varying sizes, check....

My question for you is all about the "drawing board"...we will be working on tables and easles(sic), but what should I be looking for? I do order from Blick-and this is a 101 class.

If you can suggest anything, it would be so appreciated!

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Hi @Poodlepet2. I think your question is about needing a drawing board (what kind, etc.) for a class? I always took whatever I gathered from the "you will need" sheet to the 1st class and waited to see for sure what else I'd have to purchase. Most easels are just a wooden frame because canvases to paint on have a hard wooden frame to support themselves. Some easels in drawing classes I've taken had solid wooden backs. You lean your sketch/drawing pad against them. Some people prefer to draw or work in charcoals at a table...no easel or drawing board required. Basically a drawing board is nothing more than a large wooden "cutting board" that you can tape (masking tape) your sheet of drawing paper to for support. Some can still rest on an easel (depending on the easel) and some can be used flat on a table. The point is to have a smooth, flat, hard surface. Geeeez. Did I answer the question or add to the confusion?

Trusted Contributor

@Poodlepet2, you could also use a Masonite board.  Masonite is sturdy and light-weight.  You could use 'clips' to hold the top of the paper or tablet of paper & there are extra large rubberbands to hold the bottom of the paper/tablet in place as well.  These boards are sold at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Respected Contributor

Thank you both for your responses: I DO have a clear idea of what I need. I like the Masonite idea....and I am also thinking about a blotter for table work...

Thanks!

Poodlepet2