Respected Contributor

Re: Shamima Begum the teen who left the UK to Join ISIS

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 

I just read more of this and nothing about a birth certificate being ripped up, so I don't have a clue about your post.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tyak   I was talking about the US girl from Alabama who wants to come home.  I assume our Sec of State is talking about her since the UK girl is obviously not American.  I heard she holds UK (or used to) and Bangladesh citizenship.      

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

That's what the government has already done, expatriated her to Syria and not allowed her to come back. 

I think @songbird  is correct about US citizenship being a birthright.  Those bleeding hearts might be the Supreme Court upholding the 14th Amendment. 

That's why I say let her come back.  Guantamo or some other nice federal facility will take her any time day or night.    

But she has a child.  And now we're back to = can't detain children - and separation is cruel/inhuman/a human rights violation et. al.

Let her stay where she is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

the woman from alabama, hoda, was born in new jersey so she WAS a citizen.....unless they still considered her father a diplomat, in which case she would not be a citizen.

did she renounce her citizenship previously and/or become a citizen of another country perhaps?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer   Children are raised by grandparents all the time.  I was one of the them when I was "separated" from my father and he was hardly ever seen again.  Lots of us have been there, done that, and have survived quite well.    

Respected Contributor

8 U.S. Code § 1481.Loss of nationality by native-born or naturalized citizen; voluntary action; burden of proof; presumptions

(a)A person who is a national of the United States whether by birth or naturalization, shall lose his nationality by voluntarily performing any of the following acts with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality—

(1)obtaining naturalization in a foreign state upon his own application or upon an application filed by a duly authorized agent, after having attained the age of eighteen years; or

(2)taking an oath or making an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or a political subdivision thereof, after having attained the age of eighteen years; or

(3)entering, or serving in, the armed forces of a foreign state if (A) such armed forces are engaged in hostilities against the United States, or (B) such persons serve as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer; or
(4)
(A)accepting, serving in, or performing the duties of any office, post, or employment under the government of a foreign state or a political subdivision thereof, after attaining the age of eighteen years if he has or acquires the nationality of such foreign state; or

(B) accepting, serving in, or performing the duties of any office, post, or employment under the government of a foreign state or a political subdivision thereof, after attaining the age of eighteen years for which office, post, or employment an oath, affirmation, or declaration of allegiance is required; or

(5)making a formal renunciation of nationality before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a foreign state, in such form as may be prescribed by the Secretary of State; or

(6)making in the United States a formal written renunciation of nationality in such form as may be prescribed by, and before such officer as may be designated by, the Attorney General, whenever the United States shall be in a state of war and the Attorney General shall approve such renunciation as not contrary to the interests of national defense; or

(7)committing any act of treason against, or attempting by force to overthrow, or bearing arms against, the United States, violating or conspiring to violate any of the provisions of section 2383 of title 18, or willfully performing any act in violation of section 2385 of title 18, or violating section 2384 of title 18 by engaging in a conspiracy to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, if and when he is convicted thereof by a court martial or by a court of competent jurisdiction. 

(b)Whenever the loss of United States nationality is put in issue in any action or proceeding commenced on or after September 26, 1961 under, or by virtue of, the provisions of this chapter or any other Act, the burden shall be upon the person or party claiming that such loss occurred, to establish such claim by a preponderance of the evidence. Any person who commits or performs, or who has committed or performed, any act of expatriation under the provisions of this chapter or any other Act shall be presumed to have done so voluntarily, but such presumption may be rebutted upon a showing, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the act or acts committed or performed were not done voluntarily.

Respected Contributor

I say let her rot where she is.  And her kid should stay with its mother.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

How do the girls go to there to be married,and think they can return,who knows what they have done ,or will do? She made her decision ,live with it.

Yep...I agree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

The U.K. woman who said she knew about and saw all the beheadings and people being killed and "didn't have any problem with that" - and she expects that people should have "sympathy" (her word) for her and welcome her back?  So ISIS lets these women go without a murmur?

The same for the American woman.  She thinks any punishment should perhaps be "therapy sessions"???  Sorry, but I wouldn't trust any of these women back into their original countries.  I don't believe they've suddenly seen the light and want to come "home".  There is no way of knowing what atrocities they might be prepared to commit once here.

They all chose their "homes".  They need to live in them.  Good for Britain, revoking that woman's citizenship.  The U.S. should do the same.

Exactly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I think normally such people are sent home and tried for any offenses.

I do have sympathy for these young girls, but their actions were willful unless they can prove otherwise. That should be up to the courts. I don't think that they should be left where they are.

Yes, tried for their terrorist offenses and treason.  Up to the courts, yes, but only after American citizens protest and express their opinions of these despicable and dangerous people. We must be heard on important matters like this, beyond a QVC forum.

The courts should come to a decision based on law. Period. They should never bow to either outrage or sympathy. Any extenuating circumstances could be a factor in sentencing, though.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland