Valued Contributor

@Marp, points well made and something to consider.  Now how to deal with the heartache of yet one more loss when you've had them so long and love them so much. Hubby keeps me in check and is afraid if I he dies first I'll be that crazy old dog lady.  Thanks for your input.  I never thought she was disappointed, but jealous, but you may be 100% right.  And volunteering I've seen many senior dogs who lost their long time owners and the families have not stepped up but sheltered them instead.  Heartbreaking.

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@Marp, points well made and something to consider.  Now how to deal with the heartache of yet one more loss when you've had them so long and love them so much. Hubby keeps me in check and is afraid if I he dies first I'll be that crazy old dog lady.  Thanks for your input.  I never thought she was disappointed, but jealous, but you may be 100% right.  And volunteering I've seen many senior dogs who lost their long time owners and the families have not stepped up but sheltered them instead.  Heartbreaking.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2,  I am painfully aware of the pain and heartbreak having lost a 15-year-old dog and two 18-year-old cats in November.  My heart aches for the losses but also aches to fill the void by giving a loving home to adults and seniors in need of one.  Although I say I rescue it is honestly more a case of being rescued myself.  I can either be consumed by grief or healed by  unconditional animal love.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2:  I think either foster an older dog or get your dog a less than one year old dog.  We've done this several times with senior dogs after our second dog dies (we prefer 2 dogs).  The two times we did it ( once with a male senior and once with a female senior at home); weren't sure how they'd react but what successes!  Our current older dog is seven and when we introduced a puppy (now three) he wouldn't come up on our bed (which he loves); once he gave that up they became fast friends almost at once.

Honored Contributor

Yep, a second dog will do the trick.

Honored Contributor

@Marp

I’m sad to hear about your losses, I did not know.

We lost a 14 year old cat, a 12 year old dog, and two 13 year old brother cats (within 6 weeks of one another) all within 5 months this year.

Wish I had magic words for you, but I know you wouldn’t take anything for the wonderful love.  ♥️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

Fosters are a great way to go, as I know you know. 

It will give company to your girl, and you will be giving another dog a chance.

Best to all of you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Frequent Contributor

If the cat that comes around is a stray perhaps your dog might welcome a feline friend.