Trusted Contributor

Shakes for meal replacement when dieting?

Has anyone had success with drinking protein or other types of shakes for meal replacement while trying to lose weight?  I have never tried this, but I would like to.

I'm hoping someone here has suggestions as to what shakes in particular will give me the most nutrients and help curb my appetite.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Shakes for meal replacement when dieting?

I have used the Atkins shakes with 30 grams of protein as a meal replacement. They taste like a milk shake and are very filling. 190 calories...

Esteemed Contributor

I have recommended Premier Protein shakes to many people. They're available at Sam's club and Wal-Mart stores. Very good nutritional balance, taste and texture are pleasing, reasonable price if you consider them a 'meal'.

Before that I used Ensure brand. Very good choice, all the features a person would find in Premier, but higher priced than Premier Protein.

The absolute worse tasting ones on the market are Boost brand. Ugh!! Can't choke those down!!

Respected Contributor

I have had great success with Slim Fast.  I am using it right now to help me lose a few pounds.  I use lowfat milk in the French vanilla flavor.  I add one half of a small frozen banana and 1.5 cups of whole frozen unsweetened strawberries.  Mix it up in my Ninja.  Tastes great and it is filling.  Under 300 calories and it really works for me. 

Valued Contributor

I tried the program used by Paula Dean's husband......Our Skinny.  They have shakes and protein bars.  It worked well and I enjoyed it. Decided to cut back on it when I read that some of the shakes included Titanium Dioxide.  Apparently it's a perfectly legal food additive. 

Honored Contributor

Atkins. Here's why:

The mother of one of my childrens' classmates had a serious health issue. In order to treat it, she was placed on a liquid diet for ONE YEAR. Now, even with that diet, she was only able to consume a very limited list of items due to the issue with her esophagus. For 8 months, she was told by her docs to consume Atkins. Bloodwork was done monthly. After 8 months, she was able to add in specific foods that contained acid (fruit, tomatoes, etc)and then slowly she added other items. After a year, she was able to eat as before.

She had NO medical issues while on Atkins. No constipation, no issues with dizziness, heart palpitations, diarrhea, stomach pains, etc that are associated with long term use of protein drinks. When I learned it was Atkins drinks, I switched over and have never looked at another brand since. That was 9 years ago. Still use them to this day. Good luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @x Hedge - Premier Protein drinks - they taste good and have protein - also sold at Costco

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No.  I am always starving when I attempt to use a shake as a meal replacement.  Also, more often than not, those shakes do not agree with my system and I end up miserable. 

Way back when I tried Slim Fast and I've tried Premier Protein and Atkins as well as Andrew Lessman and one I bought from the GNC.  No, no, no and no.  They aren't filling for me and again, they all left me feeling miserable and bloated or just plain starving.  

Respected Contributor

No shakes for me. I tried a couple of brands once several years ago and they were awful! I can feed myself, be very full and well nourished for 250-300 calories that are much healthier than drinking those processed, chemical laden, artifically sweetened things. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~