Valued Contributor

Re: Severe weather in Southeast

I'm in northwest Louisiana. our storms came through about 9am today. it was pretty rough. 2 tornados confirmed touched down. the sun is shining now. stay safe!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stay safe everyone in the path of these storms. 

Makes me now appreciate that we’re only getting a winter storm with up to 24” of snow and possible high winds. 

Valued Contributor

We're awaiting this line of storms to work its way through South Carolina and off the coast. The aftermath footage on the weather channel shows many areas impacted by tornadoes and strong wind. 

I hope everyone here that lives in this region made it through ok with no damage. Sadly they're saying lives were lost. At such a stressful time with the pandemic this seems almost too much. 

Also heard one (maybe more?) of the states was asking hotels to open to accomodate those that had lost their homes so they'd have a place to stay. Opening shelters not an option due to social distancing. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh Everything that you mentioned I have thought of because suddenly (as of last night) we were told to expect very severe weather here in the northeast too! 

Heavy rain, strong winds with the possibility of tornadoes throughout the day....of course there will be power outages.  (I have three freezers stocked with food!) All of this worry and anxiety on top of the anxiety that I already have!

I did wonder what would we do if something terrible suddenly happened to our house?!!  During a Pandemic!!  Where would we go?...plus DH is immuno compromised and has his routine to keep him healthy and our dog is showing signs of age and has her own issues.

Everything is charged and I'm just praying that it's not too bad today.  Supposed to start soon and go though 7pm.

Honored Contributor

Im in SW North Carolina about 25 miles from the SC border.  I hope all of you in the tornado's path are ok.

We had rain, a little thunder and lightening and wind gusts, but thats all.  This all happened between 3 and 4 AM this morning.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

That was one scary morning. A large tornado just north of me, smaller one just south of me. Literally my area was sandwiched. 

so far all family, friends, and work family report they are ok. Thank God. 

Hope eveyrone here fared well Heart

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

I'm in North GA, Cherokee County. Former Savannah and Wilmington Island resident here. Used to the hurricanes and tropical storms but the tornado risk is scary to me. Hope everyone is safe and sound tonight.

@50Mickey 

I live on Wilmington Island and have since I was 8 years old and I'm almost 67 now, I love this island!

During my wanderlust years, I did live in CT, VT, VA, ME for a year or so in each state and 7 years in Los Angeles, but like Dorothy said, "there's no place like home!Heart"

@KingstonsMom   I lived on Wilmington Island for 20 years before moving to North Ga. I miss Wilmington Island so much. I go back to see friends a couple of times a year and every time I cross over the last bridge by Publix I say I can't believe I left this beautiful place. But It was time to move so that I could be near my daughter and her family especially my granddaughter. I got tired of those 41/2 hour drives every month. 

Respected Contributor

Well North Georgia friends that was some scary night and morning. I was jolted out of sleep by the alarm on my phone around 1:30 am alerting that a tornado warning was in place and then the sirens went off. We were so lucky to have dodged a tornado. My heart goes out to those in Mississippi who were not. so fortunate. 

Honored Contributor

I think most of it veered south of us.  DH was breathing loudly and weirdly around 2:30 this morning which woke me up, and then it sounded really windy out, but no rain.  I think that was the last line going through.  Neither one of us could wake up this morning.  

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

I'm in North GA, Cherokee County. Former Savannah and Wilmington Island resident here. Used to the hurricanes and tropical storms but the tornado risk is scary to me. Hope everyone is safe and sound tonight.

@50Mickey 

I live on Wilmington Island and have since I was 8 years old and I'm almost 67 now, I love this island!

During my wanderlust years, I did live in CT, VT, VA, ME for a year or so in each state and 7 years in Los Angeles, but like Dorothy said, "there's no place like home!Heart"

@KingstonsMom   I lived on Wilmington Island for 20 years before moving to North Ga. I miss Wilmington Island so much. I go back to see friends a couple of times a year and every time I cross over the last bridge by Publix I say I can't believe I left this beautiful place. But It was time to move so that I could be near my daughter and her family especially my granddaughter. I got tired of those 41/2 hour drives every month. 

@50Mickey 

That's understandable, being close to family trumps everything else!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.