Trusted Contributor

Re: Set Your DVR's - This Sunday - Killing Jesus - on the Natl Geo Channel

Thank you very much, sfnative! I should have invested more time in reviewing the book this program was based on first. I only heard about it here, you see.

Yes, you're correct, there are much more reliable sources pertaining to the history. I did notice some beautiful art pieces during the closing credits. I teach HS Art History, also majored in World History and these still interest me far more than politics. It is, though, worth noting that not much changes there when studying history. Only the methods.

I'm glad you enjoyed Killing Jesus, for its intended purposes. I agree with you that Mary, as well as Jesus were both portrayed as rather clueless. To end on a good note: the actors performed their roles fairly well. Smile

Valued Contributor

On 3/29/2015 hckynut said:
On 3/27/2015 Teacups said:
On 3/27/2015 hckynut said: "Teacups", I have an LED Front Projector that puts the video on my 110" screen I have on our wall. Would have to look at the Projector brand name next time I go into our Entertainment Room. If he is interested and you reply, I will tell him anything he wants to know about my experiences with Front Projectors. Let me know!

wow John I did not know about this type.....I don't know if we have a wall uncluttered enough to put one. We have a 57 inches back light thing we bought 8 years ago and are sorry. He is always looking for a new TV This one is falling apart.

Thanks for any info John!

Hi Teacups,

You do not need a screen to view a front projector, you can watch it off of any light colored wall, with white being preferable. You also can adjust the size by moving the projector forward or backwards. The closer to the screen(wall)the smaller the picture.

I had a Toshiba Front Projector that was a DLP format(Digital Light Procession/Light in rear)called Rear Projection, which sounds like what you might have now. It kept burning out the lamps, which cost over $300 apiece, so I looked for an LED lite projector.

I found the one I now have for $349 on a website and it is called a Pro 7 Series LED Projector. LED lighting runs cool and these lamps are suppose to last for over 25,000 hours. This projector has already outlived the lamps in my Toshiba, and I had 3 of them. Toshiba replaced the original one and that was it.

Anyways, this projector you can sit on a table or anywhere and point it at a wall. It only weighs maybe 7-8lbs. It has to be somewhere that you can hook your "cable or satellite" connections to it as that how it shows the video and reproduces the sound. Most cable and satellite boxes have what is called an HDMI cable Output. You need a long enough HDMI cable to run from the back of the "cable/satellite box" HDMI Output. It then plugs right into the HDMI Input on the back of the projector.

When you hook 2 components like this together using HDMI cables both the Audio and the Video go from the "Cable/Satellite Box" into the Projector. The projector has built-in speakers that work "ok", but I am an Audio Purist, so I have my sound running through my Stereo Receiver, which produces Movie Theater Quality 7.2 Dolby Surround Sound.

I know this is a whole lot of stuff and I don't know how savvy your husband is which these types of devices. I would be more than happy to explain any questions(if I know the answers) if he, or you, have any more of them.

If you want to ask me something about this, open a New Thread saying something like "hey hckynut" on the Viewpoints Forum or in the Electronics Talk Forum, that way I will see it without having to hunt way back to find this thread again.

My best to you.

Thx John!!

Valued Contributor

Yes I liked it...but it was a historical perpective....maybe for some who didn't know much about Him or those that believe he was just a prophet or a good man.

Valued Contributor

On 3/30/2015 sfnative said:
On 3/30/2015 Rowan72 said:

I was hoping to learn more concerning the history of the time period, as I thought that was the main focus. I learned absolutely nothing new. I wasn't expecting Biblical accuracy, so no surprise there. It bored me.

What I had heard up front was that instead of focusing entirely on the religeous aspect, it would, as was appropriate, focus on politics, which was the primary driving force.

The history of the Romans and the many tribes/cultures which they dominated is a complex subject. Though I have an interest in ancient history, I can provide no reference material for you. Perhaps another poster can suggest reading material, documentaries (of which there are many-I've watch some) and/or movies.

Can anyone out there assist Rowan?

Hi SF...the book offers many looks into ancient history. Actually it start our with Julius Ceasar...I have the dvd...great to listen to. I learned a great deal.

Super Contributor

I have only seen an hour so far. I had really been looking forward to this, but an hour in, I am disappointed. I do not like the way Jesus is portrayed.
Trusted Contributor

I was very disappointed. I learned no new science, history, politics- nothing. Since the religious aspects were portrayed so weakly, I wish they'd been omitted entirely. It was no fault of the actors- clearly scripted this way. The book must be far better.