Trusted Contributor

Re: Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals

[ Edited ]

It is most unfortunate, however, as with many things the wants and desires of some are maximized and they use the legal loopholes, intimidation and fear to obtain what they want.  All others are minimized. 

This happened with a wonderful program that Disney had put into place regarding those customers with disabilities. These individuals were given priority standing to enter rides and the like.  People caught onto it and hired a local with disabilities to lead a GROUP of people without disabilities into rides early and bypass the lines.  Finally the abuse of the system made National news and Disney  eliminated the program (or that is my understating)

What is most unfortunate, IMHO, is that there are so many unscrupulous individuals out that abuse the system and have a deleterious impact on those that desperately need accommodations.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Emotional Support Animals Are Not a Scam

Information on Emotional Support Dogs

Emotional support dogs are dogs that provide comfort and support in forms of affection and companionship for an individual suffering from various mental and emotional conditions. An emotional support dog is not required to perform any specific tasks for a disability like service dogs are. They are meant solely for emotional stability and unconditional love. They can assist with conditions such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder/mood disorder, panic attacks, fear/phobias, and other psychological and emotional conditions.

Emotional support dogs are protected under federal law

Under the Fair Housing Amendments Act (FHAA) and the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA), an individual who meets the proper criteria is entitled to an emotional support dog to assist them with their life. The FHAA protects individuals by allowing their emotional support dog to live with them (even when there are no pet policies in place). The ACAA protects individuals by allowing the emotional support dog to fly with them in the cabin of an airplane (without having to pay any additional fees). Any dog can be an emotional support dog, and emotional support dogs do not have to be professionally-trained.

A Medical Recommendation is Required

You are required to have a letter from a doctor or mental health professional recommending that you have an emotional support dog for your condition. You may be asked to present this letter by airline staff when flying or by your landlord when renting a home.

Identifying emotional support dogs for the public

Emotional support dogs are often identified by wearing an emotional support dog vest or tag, letting the public know that it is an emotional support dog; otherwise, their handlers will find themselves having to explain that their dog is an emotional support dog. Some businesses, such as airlines, prefer to see an identification card or vest that indicates that the dog is an emotional support dog.

List of Disabilities

An emotional support dog can assist with various kinds of mental and emotional conditions.

Here is a list of some mental and emotional conditions individuals may have that may be helped by having an emotional support dog:

• Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Mood disorder
  • Panic attacks
  • Fear/phobias
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Suicidal Thoughts/Tendencies

More information here:

http://usdogregistry.org/information/information-on-emotional-support-dogs/

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Yardlie  If you read the link I posted, you'll see the ADA doesn't not recognize emotional support animals.  Every animal has the capacity to be one.  They are not trained and are just there to pet, talk to or whatever.  There's no certification for them.  The airlines are not obligated to allow them on planes, and from your experience, it sounds like they're cracking down.  As is often the case, people have taken advantage of the uncertainty of the provisions of the ADA to get their pets on flights.

@Kachina ... When I talked to the United agent the day my friend was to travel, they told me that they had to crack down and verify the psychiatrist's license number, as so many people were writing their own letters on fake letterhead and trying to get their animals to fly free. They said that they have been enforcing this for the past 5 years.

Here is a snippet on how the court has ruled regarding the ADA. This is on the ADA site: https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleII_2010/titleII_2010_regulations.htm#a35136.

This revised title II regulation integrates the Department's new regulatory provisions with the text of the existing title II regulation that was unchanged by the 2010 revisions.

Part 35 Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in State and Local Government Services
(as amended by the final rule published on September 15, 2010)

Authority: 5 U.S.C. 301; 28 U.S.C. 509, 510; 42 U.S.C. 12134.

Subpart A—General

Relationship to Other Laws

The Department of Justice regulation implementing title II, 28 CFR 35.103, provides the following:

(a) Rule of interpretation. Except as otherwise provided in this part, this part shall not be construed to apply a lesser standard than the standards applied under title V of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 791) or the regulations issued by Federal agencies pursuant to that title.

(b) Other laws. This part does not invalidate or limit the remedies, rights, and procedures of any other Federal, State, or local laws (including State common law) that provide greater or equal protection for the rights of individuals with disabilities or individuals associated with them.

These provisions remain unchanged by the final rule. The Department recognizes that public entities subject to title II of the ADA may also be subject to title I of the ADA, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment; section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and other Federal statutes that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability in the programs and activities of recipients of Federal financial assistance; and other Federal statutes such as the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA), 49 U.S.C. 41705 et seq., and the Fair Housing Act (FHAct), 42 U.S.C. 3601 et seq. Compliance with the Department's title II and title III regulations does not necessarily ensure compliance with other Federal statutes.

Public entities that are subject to the ADA as well as other Federal disability discrimination laws must be aware of the requirements of all applicable laws and must comply with these laws and their implementing regulations. Although in many cases similar provisions of different statutes are interpreted to impose similar requirements, there are circumstances in which similar provisions are applied differently because of the nature of the covered entity or activity or because of distinctions between the statutes. For example, emotional support animals that do not qualify as service animals under the Department's title II regulation may nevertheless qualify as permitted reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities under the FHAct and the ACAA. See, e.g., Overlook Mutual Homes, Inc. v. Spencer, 666 F. Supp. 2d 850 (S.D. Ohio 2009). Public entities that operate housing facilities must ensure that they apply the reasonable accommodation requirements of the FHAct in determining whether to allow a particular animal needed by a person with a disability into housing and may not use the ADA definition as a justification for reducing their FHAct obligations. In addition, nothing in the ADA prevents a covered entity subject to one statute from modifying its policies and providing greater access in order to assist individuals with disabilities in achieving access to entities subject to other Federal statutes.

Disability means, with respect to an individual, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of such individual; a record of such an impairment; or being regarded as having such an impairment.

• (1)
    • (i) The phrase physical or mental impairment means—
      • (A) Any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological, musculoskeletal, special sense organs, respiratory (including speech organs), cardiovascular, reproductive, digestive, genitourinary, hemic and lymphatic, skin, and endocrine;
      • (B) Any mental or psychological disorder such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities.

The Department's position is based on the fact that the title II and title III regulations govern a wider range of public settings than the housing and transportation settings for which the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and DOT regulations allow emotional support animals or comfort animals. The Department recognizes that there are situations not governed by the title II and title III regulations, particularly in the context of residential settings and transportation, where there may be a legal obligation to permit the use of animals that do not qualify as service animals under the ADA, but whose presence nonetheless provides necessary emotional support to persons with disabilities.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Yardlie  If you read the link I posted, you'll see the ADA doesn't not recognize emotional support animals.  Every animal has the capacity to be one.  They are not trained and are just there to pet, talk to or whatever.  There's no certification for them.  The airlines are not obligated to allow them on planes, and from your experience, it sounds like they're cracking down.  As is often the case, people have taken advantage of the uncertainty of the provisions of the ADA to get their pets on flights.

@Kachina624

Emotional support dogs are protected under federal law

Under the Fair Housing Amendments Act (FHAA) and the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA), an individual who meets the proper criteria is entitled to an emotional support dog to assist them with their life. The FHAA protects individuals by allowing their emotional support dog to live with them (even when there are no pet policies in place). The ACAA protects individuals by allowing the emotional support dog to fly with them in the cabin of an airplane (without having to pay any additional fees). Any dog can be an emotional support dog, and emotional support dogs do not have to be professionally-trained.

A Medical Recommendation is Required

You are required to have a letter from a doctor or mental health professional recommending that you have an emotional support dog for your condition. You may be asked to present this letter by airline staff when flying or by your landlord when renting a home.

Honored Contributor

Not long ago, I read up on Emotional Support Dogs for our vets with PTSD.

The dogs are considered very important and have made life bearable for some who were suicidal.

PLEASE READ:

An article on the importance of Emotional Support Dogs for our wounded vets:

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/cope/dogs_and_ptsd.asp

From the US Department of Veterans Affairs

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Not long ago, I read up on Emotional Support Dogs for our vets with PTSD.

The dogs are considered very important and have made life bearable for some who were suicidal.

PLEASE READ:

An article on the importance of Emotional Support Dogs for our wounded vets:

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/cope/dogs_and_ptsd.asp

From the US Department of Veterans Affairs

I would never question the use of one for our Vets.  Everyone else is suspect, from my perspective.

Respected Contributor

When I fly my expectation of the event does not include having to sit next to a emotional support pig or turkey. I am allergic to cats and to some dogs. Do the airlines reserve special seats for people flying with animals? What about the rights of other passengers who would be essentially unable to change their travel plans and are unable to put much distance between themselves and this situation. People are trapped on planes. What happens when the plane is delayed on the tarmac? And the plane gets overheated, stuffy, and yikes! On another thread about air travel stories I posted about having to sit next to a large, loud, noisy parrot. It was horrible. I picture in my mind the airlines resembling those third-world bus trips crowded with people and their chickens and goats I have seen on Globe Treker.

Esteemed Contributor

So they are allowed when traveling on airlines and obtaining housing, fair enough as long as they are well behaved.  Seems it also only addresses dogs as companions.  Really does not explaing all these stores, restraunts ect. being expected to accomodate people who want to bring their pets everywhere they go. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

People seem to want to push limits when it comes to provisions of permits/acts written, and laws. I have always been an animal lover, but! While they do comfort me, I can still function 100% of my life without them being with me.

I understand someone that is diagnosed with PTSD may need their comfort animal. My thought if indeed a person want their comfort animal in public places there should be requirements.

First a full mental evaluation by a Psychiatrist, and that doctor would have to sign a legal form. From there it would go to a department in that persons State, and they would issue a State Permit certifying that this person has take specific tests to qualify for this permit.

Forget the easy to by vest, and require seeing a legal permit for everyone that claims themselves, and their comfort pet have credentials to enter any public facility, if required.

My guess is it would remove all doubt and also weed out those that do it "because they can". For those that need financial aid to cover these costs, there should be provisions for them, so as to prevent those that really need their animals, are not left out because of their financial status.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

So they are allowed when traveling on airlines and obtaining housing, fair enough as long as they are well behaved.  Seems it also only addresses dogs as companions.  Really does not explaing all these stores, restraunts ect. being expected to accomodate people who want to bring their pets everywhere they go. 

Do you also think that about Guide Dogs For The Blind?