Esteemed Contributor

Re: Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals

@SunValley wrote:

When I fly my expectation of the event does not include having to sit next to a emotional support pig or turkey. I am allergic to cats and to some dogs. Do the airlines reserve special seats for people flying with animals? What about the rights of other passengers who would be essentially unable to change their travel plans and are unable to put much distance between themselves and this situation. People are trapped on planes. What happens when the plane is delayed on the tarmac? And the plane gets overheated, stuffy, and yikes! On another thread about air travel stories I posted about having to sit next to a large, loud, noisy parrot. It was horrible. I picture in my mind the airlines resembling those third-world bus trips crowded with people and their chickens and goats I have seen on Globe Treker.

People want peanut butter banned from places because someone is allergic while have not problem forcing people who are allergic into an airplane with animals. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Not long ago, I read up on Emotional Support Dogs for our vets with PTSD.

The dogs are considered very important and have made life bearable for some who were suicidal.

PLEASE READ:

An article on the importance of Emotional Support Dogs for our wounded vets:

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/cope/dogs_and_ptsd.asp

From the US Department of Veterans Affairs

I would never question the use of one for our Vets.  Everyone else is suspect, from my perspective.

@colliegirls

Why?  Civilians have also suffered head trauma and PTSD from assaults.

You might want to look at the list provided for those who qualify, they are not all vets.

Why not leave it up to the doctors instead of people on a bulletin board who don't know much about the subject at all?

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

So they are allowed when traveling on airlines and obtaining housing, fair enough as long as they are well behaved.  Seems it also only addresses dogs as companions.  Really does not explaing all these stores, restraunts ect. being expected to accomodate people who want to bring their pets everywhere they go. 

Do you also think that about Guide Dogs For The Blind?

We are talking about emotional support dogs and the information YOU posted.

Service dogs are and entirely different matter.  Those are highly trained and provided to people in need of specific tasks.  Their dogs have been certified to perform these functions in public as well as at home. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

So they are allowed when traveling on airlines and obtaining housing, fair enough as long as they are well behaved.  Seems it also only addresses dogs as companions.  Really does not explaing all these stores, restraunts ect. being expected to accomodate people who want to bring their pets everywhere they go. 

Service dogs are and entirely different matter.  Those are highly trained and provided to people in need of specific tasks.  Their dogs have been certified to perform these functions in public as well as at home. 

@CrazyDaisy

I did not start this line or introduce the subject of emotional support dogs.

Since you are so worried about being around dogs, I am asking you if you would ban guide dogs for the blind also, it's in the same category of support animals, usually dogs.

So... would you?

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy

Since you are so worried about being around dogs, I am asking you if you would ban guide dogs for the blind also, it's in the same category of support animals, usually dogs.

So... would you?

Not the same catagory.... you know that.  You are just trying to start and argument.

Have a great day

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

When I fly my expectation of the event does not include having to sit next to a emotional support pig or turkey. I am allergic to cats and to some dogs. Do the airlines reserve special seats for people flying with animals? What about the rights of other passengers who would be essentially unable to change their travel plans and are unable to put much distance between themselves and this situation. People are trapped on planes. What happens when the plane is delayed on the tarmac? And the plane gets overheated, stuffy, and yikes! On another thread about air travel stories I posted about having to sit next to a large, loud, noisy parrot. It was horrible. I picture in my mind the airlines resembling those third-world bus trips crowded with people and their chickens and goats I have seen on Globe Treker.

People want peanut butter banned from places because someone is allergic while have not problem forcing people who are allergic into an airplane with animals. 

Are people dying from anaphylaxis from sitting next to a dog or cat? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

My mother has several breathing issues on top of a sever allergy to cats, so yes she could die. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy

So... would you?

Not the same catagory.... you know that.  You are just trying to start and argument.

Have a great day

@CrazyDaisy

I am trying to point out your inconsistencies.

Your answer is pretty clear.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

My mother has several breathing issues on top of a sever allergy to cats, so yes she could die. 

@CrazyDaisy

Not likely.

One example of what many airlines are doing:

"Air Canada will ban dogs or cats on planes without HEPA filters when a passenger with an allergy to dogs or cats is on board. If the dog is a service animal, priority will be given to the first reservation made. On planes with HEPA filters, a five row buffer zone between a pet and the passenger with allergies will be established in the aircraft.

With the increase of animals traveling in the cabin, those who cannot be exposed to pet allergens should work with the airlines at the time of reservation to ensure they are not seated in close proximity to animals. This is an issue that may surface over time as the airlines try to accommodate those passengers on both sides of the fence.

http://www.pettravel.com/blog/index.php/pet-allergy-sufferers-when-traveling-on-airplanes/

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Emotional support dogs are required to undergo training and be certified;however, this isn't always the case with a "service" dog.  

@phoenixbrd  Did you read the link I posted?  The ADA doesn't even recognize "emotional support animals".  They undergo no training whatsoever.  It's service animals that must have specialized training to preform specific tasks.

Apparently "emotional support" is a term coined by people who are just trying to get their household pets into otherwise forbidden places.  Legally they don't exist.

Actually, they do exist according to Fair Housing Act, which has a broader definition of "assistance animal" than that used by the ADA.  The Air Carrier Access Act also uses a broader definition, which includes emotional support animals.