Honored Contributor

Re: Seriously considering retirement --- could we talk?

@Bird mama: Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you're ready to make the jump into retirement, so congratulations to you! I retired 5 years ago - DH had retired already on disability after a minor stroke and other issues. I think you'll find that you won't require the same expenses you had while you were working, especially with clothes, unless you and your hubby have an active social life. 

Check with your auto insurance to make sure that you are on reduced mileage - that can save you a few bucks.  Unless you love going out to eat frequently, cut back on going to restaurants. If you're not buying groceries at places like Aldi's, Walmart, etc, consider doing that more often. Retirement is enjoyable, and you'll find things that no longer make much sense to you financially that you can do without or do less of.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1: We have no credit card  debt. We have paid off the cemetery lots, funeral prepay. have a will with the health directive and power of attorney. Have medical and rx insurance and dental. Have paid up life insurance, annuities , have 2 savings accounts- one for extra retirement money and one for various unexpected expenses. I took out a home improvement loan to add a garage, large family room and laundry area( had to go out side to enter the laundry room) and larger kitchen. Yep- extra payment in retirement for a reason: should I die first: DH will have enough room if he wants daughter and two grandchildren to live with him, plus I have an extra policy that will pay off this loan should something happen to me. DH preplanned for me- with significant insurance if I ever needed to move to assisted living, plus benefits from his military service . He has two friends that he goes out to eat with twice a week. I have two friends that I go out with weekly. We enjoy watching sports together. Except I do not like basket ball, so when he retired in 2011- I turned one of the bedrooms into his tv room and that Christmas gave him a new recliner and flat screen tv.Plus if the guys come over he has the den and if the girls come over we have the new family room😀. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Staying as we did at a campground in the summers, we met a lot of people who live full time in a camper due to having made some bad financial decisions along the way - mostly  we have heard the worst decision they made was to take their SS and retire at age 62. They found out they simply could not live on the 25% less monthly income. Then they tried to make up the difference investing in risky high yield stocks.Another big mistake! 2008 came along and many lost most of or all of their savings. Imagine having to live on nothing but your SS and only getting 3/4 of that! So , in order to survive they had to sell their only asset - their house - and move into a camper. Some were only temporarily living in a camper while they wait to get into subsidized houseing. The state or county  gives you a 1 bedroom apt. for only 20% of your income, but the wait list is long.The apartments aren't really very nice but way better than living in a camper all winter.

Most of the retired people we meet in campgrounds seem to be doing well.  They own A Class and Fifth wheel Rv's that are worth much more than 100k.  

At our permanent camoground in PA, the retirees own expensive campers and expensive  boats and those limo sized golf carts.  They also have new fancy trucks with tow packages or new cars they tow behind. 

This past week, we were in a campground in Cape May, NJ.  Since it is off season, the place was full of senior citizens.  Two days ago, a monster size A class was parked beside us.  I looked up the price of a new rig, just like theirs, just to be nosy.  The price was $239,000.  

Almost the whole camp was full of those expensive RV's.  I don't know what those people did for a living or if they were full timers or not, but I know that they weren't hurting for money.

It is almost intimidating for us to be parked with our small 18 year old camper right next to theirs. We do have a newer bigger second RV parked permanently in PA, but prefer to tow the smaller, older one.  I am sure the rest of the seniors feel sorry for us poor folks when they see our camper.

Also, @151949,I was wondering how the seniors in your PA campground lived there in their camper during the winter months.  Everyone knows that you cannot live in a camper in the wintertime in PA....and the parks are all closed, usually around October 15.   They have to close before the frost sets in because the water pipes freeze in the campground You have to winterize your camper too or your water lines, and water heater and toilet will freeze and burst.

I remember you saying that the campground you stayed in closed for the winter season...if so, where did those seniors go with their camper?  Did they also drive to Florida or somewhere else that was warmer?

Honored Contributor

Don't give up your car or phone.  Emergencies happen and you don't want to be glued to one another.  Be frugal with your money.  Things just seem to work out on their own.  Retire, run around naked and be happy!  GOOD LUCK!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

Reading your post about RVs is interesting.  In the past few months many in our community have sold their homes (and were talking older folks) and bought these beautiful RVs.

One of our friends came by to show us their "new" home on wheels...oh my, it was spectacular.  Someone told us it was $300,000 ...amazing.

This reminds me when my younger son was a "merchandise manager" for a band and was traveling the country on tour on a tour "bus".  They were in a city close to us and asked me to bring him some stuff.  

I pulled up to the gate and asked for the "bus" for the My Chemical Romance & ZZ Top group.  Holy ****** I almost fainted when I saw the "bus" he was traveling on...it was a huge RV with his own quarters.  Unbelievable!  Here I was feeling bad thinking he was traveling in a "school bus" not!!!  We still laugh about that...

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1  We have been RVing for around  25 years.  Our first model was a 1978 preowned unit.  It had ashtrays built in  and orange shag carpet...and an eight track player.  It was like new, well, kept and we had fun with it. We called it the hippy mobile.

We upgraded in 2000 for a brand new towable model.  We bought an expensive model so it would last for years. In 2012 we bought a brand new bigger towable for less money than the original and kept both units.

Over the years, I have noticed that the RV's are getting bigger and more luxurious.  When were in Cape Cod some years ago, there was an RV that belonged to the vendor who invented and sold those thingies to pour wine with on QVC.  

It was an outstanding black color and huge...quite a sight.  The cost was $500,000.  Everyone was talking about it.  Some people got a tour...we didn't.

Personally, I would never spend that kind of money on an RV, but many people do.  They even have snob parks where your RV has to be a certain size, type and age to even Park there for one night. Our RV doesn't qualify.  LOL

i would love to live in an RV and travel full time, but my DH would never, so that is out of the question.  We do snow bird for a month or two some winters, though.

The people we meet are interesting from all kinds of backgrounds.  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama: Yep- funny thing about credit ratings and score. Kept  getting notices that I needed to take advantage of the excellent credit history and scores. Took out home improvement loan and have no other credit bills. FICO score dropped from 805 to 700 and started getting urgent notices that my % of credit debt was too high but yet no history of bad credit, late payments , collection agencies. Initial loan was $58,000 and now less than 2 years owe less than $48,000 plus for now helps when filing taxes plus not struggling to make the loan payment. I have friends that live in very expensive homes with $1,000/ plus mortgage payment, car payment, several credit cards payments, retired and are like age 68 wonder what they have for credit debt and FICO score? Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Staying as we did at a campground in the summers, we met a lot of people who live full time in a camper due to having made some bad financial decisions along the way - mostly  we have heard the worst decision they made was to take their SS and retire at age 62. They found out they simply could not live on the 25% less monthly income. Then they tried to make up the difference investing in risky high yield stocks.Another big mistake! 2008 came along and many lost most of or all of their savings. Imagine having to live on nothing but your SS and only getting 3/4 of that! So , in order to survive they had to sell their only asset - their house - and move into a camper. Some were only temporarily living in a camper while they wait to get into subsidized houseing. The state or county  gives you a 1 bedroom apt. for only 20% of your income, but the wait list is long.The apartments aren't really very nice but way better than living in a camper all winter.

How dreadful. After 2008, we knew to sit tight—stay in the market—and we more than made up for the 2008 losses in subsequent years. We do worry about the next big downturn and have pulled some out of the stock market—less than I wanted to but more than my husband wanted to pull from the market at this time. It’s so hard to know what to do and when.

Honored Contributor

My sister retires this Friday, she can hardly wait!! I hope you do it soon. Life is short, don't waste one more moment if you can help it.