Honored Contributor

Re: Seriously considering retirement --- could we talk?

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

DH is 69 & still working. I’m 62 & haven’t worked since my son was born 26 years ago. We are planning ahead for when DH retires.

We own a home & a rental property.Both are paid off.We own 2 good cars that are paid off.We just put in a new heating system & will be replacing our central air next year. DH has a 401k, we own stock & have a good amount of money in the bank.We have almost no credit card debt. 

DH has put off collecting SS until age 70. At that time if he still wants to work we will bank his social security .

We will basically be able to maintain our current lifestyle with a few tweaks.If something should happen to DH in the next 15 years, god forbid,he has taken out a life insurance policy that would make up for any money that I would lose.

We’ve always lived nicely but below our means.We set ourselves up for the retirement that we wanted. Unfortunately,DH doesn’t want to retire!! He enjoys working.

@NicksmomESQ

So, you are all set.  Enjoy!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Job closure forced my husband into retirement in 2010, and from there into full disability.   Due to his progressive health issues, I trusted my prayers, and my heart, and walked away from my job at the end of 2012.   There were no discussions with a financial planner; we did what we had to do.   The last year I worked, I saw 8 members of my hospital family lose spouses, 6-18 months before their projected retirement.   I was determined to have time with my husband and enjoy the life we built.   I have no regrets.

My husband and I started out with nothing but love, and determination.   I’m not just frugal, I’m cheap, and proud of it.  We paid our mortgage off 27 years ago, and spent our 40’s updating the house to make sure it was accessible for us as we age.   We still need 2 vehicles and bought new ones after retirement; paid cash for one, and paid the other off in a year.   I just hit 24,000 miles on my 5 year old Highlander, so I don’t go that much.   TV and internet are our entertainment.   Our daughters carry us on their cell plans for a total cost of $125 a month.  

I cook 95% of our food from scratch, as we prefer home cooked meals over any type of restaurant food.   We don’t eat fancy.   I stock a deep pantry and have 3 refrigerators and a freezer.   I make my trips to the grocery store count.   Right now I am stocking for winter, and will avoid shopping from right before Christmas into March when flu season is at its worst.   It’s just what works for me. 

I was sooo ready to stay home, and still love every minute of retirement.  I am never bored.   My husband however had a difficult time adjusting to no daily schedule, and being home all the time.   Twice a week he meets several friends for coffee, and he visits often with his best friend from work, which has helped him adjust to, and appreciate retirement.   

If retirement is what you really want, you will make it work.   

@RedTop

Thank you, thank you for your very positive post!  I had some reservations about it all but I did what comes naturally --- i prayed ---- a lot!!!!  Where there's a will, there's a way!  I have always been very resourceful -- I believe I learned this from my mother.  And it sounds like you are too!  Blessings to a continued wonderful retirement for you both! 

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I know I’m probably a minority on this subject but I ❤️ routine. Although my DH & I are on track $$ wise for retirement, by the grace of God, I will work until I drop dead...or close to it.

@SurferWife

Good for you!  There is nothing wrong with that.  Different things work for different people.  And we all need and enjoy a variety of things to make our lives happy, full and complete!! 

Honored Contributor

@Dominosmom wrote:

Enjoy your retirement but I suggest take a rest and then get out of the house and volunteer somewhere you love (I do at our local childrens hospital) or go back to school and take a course or two for fun! 

@Dominosmom

I do believe I am worn out and my health has suffered from the stress and long days of working.  I will say that I will relax but I know it will take me awhile to get unwound!  I feel in the future (depending on health) I will probably want to do something a day or two per week.  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Staying as we did at a campground in the summers, we met a lot of people who live full time in a camper due to having made some bad financial decisions along the way - mostly  we have heard the worst decision they made was to take their SS and retire at age 62. They found out they simply could not live on the 25% less monthly income. Then they tried to make up the difference investing in risky high yield stocks.Another big mistake! 2008 came along and many lost most of or all of their savings. Imagine having to live on nothing but your SS and only getting 3/4 of that! So , in order to survive they had to sell their only asset - their house - and move into a camper. Some were only temporarily living in a camper while they wait to get into subsidized houseing. The state or county  gives you a 1 bedroom apt. for only 20% of your income, but the wait list is long.The apartments aren't really very nice but way better than living in a camper all winter.

@151949

Oh, yes.  I know about this kind of thing.  Not everyone makes good choices.  And at times the choices seem fine and then later the dust settles and its like --- what the heck happened?  Sad for sure.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@AngelPuppy1: My story: I worked with disabilities at a very stressful job dealing with welfare, food stamps etc. I had started my 23rd year hoping to work 9 more years. Then the years of 

stress- boom, doctor told me to retire within 6 months before I have a full blown nervous breakdown and other major health issues 😧.i worked for the state and looked into disability retirement  and I was only 45. That October- still working and trying to file necessary paper work. My doctor put me on 3 months medical leave and I had enough accrued sick leave to cover this. This was 1999. My state disability papers were filed in November . My supervisor came to my house 12/22/99- she was mean and said she didn’t know how I bribed doctors but she knows for sure the new year will bring being fired. I kicked her out of the house. One hour  later, my state representative called me: Please enjoy the holidays and look forward to 2000 because your disability retirement will start February and you can file for Social Security Disability in April. God has been good to me and answered all my prayers. My supervisor was out to lunch when I called her- I had fun leaving her a message of : Good bye. Because of the disability retirement did not have to do exit review and a coworker cleaned out my desk for me. Total of amount of disability income was just a few dollars less than employment income. I live a simple life, have a comfortable home, enjoying life and retirement. I am not rich but not deprived. I met a wonderful man during this transition and we married a year later. We both have disabilities but help each other and enjoying life. We are eating hot dogs and watching all the SEC games and having fun. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Southern Bee 

xxx : Go Atlanta Braves😀

@SouthernBee

I am so happy for you!!!  That is just awesome!!!!!  I read your post and it just made my day!!!  So glad to read a truly beautiful and happy story!  Blessings! 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Retirement was the best think I ever did for myself.  It took me the block from the building to the parking ramp to adjust. It's been 2-1/4 years and I don't regret it.

I spent nearly 40 years with a huge international corporation and had a great career.  But as with all huge international corporations, they lost track of employee value 10 or more years ago.  I've never been so glad to be out of that rat race.

Income changes but so do expenses, needs and wants.  I don't have the money I used to but it has worked out just fine.  i work 15 or so hours a week in customer service at a local grocery store (they pay me to laugh and talk with customers while I help them!) and now have time to care for my elderly father and disabled sister.  It was also wonderful to have the time to be with Mom before she passed 10 months ago.

@CalminHeart

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!  As I posted earlier, yes, we do need money to survive, but sometimes we have to make a choice, because there are somethings that are much more important -- health, sanity, family.  So glad you are having a happier life and that you go to spend that important time with your mother!  

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, retirement is the one of the best things that happened to me.  I wish you all the best in your decision!  LM

@Lilysmom

You're very kind and I thank you!  I wish you a long and happy retirement! 

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I retired first, then my husband 3 years later. I was use to being alone in the house when he retired it was an adjustment. We were fine in the summer but the winter was long. He likes all those mountain men shoes etc me not so much. I love movies especially old ones. So........ I turned our 3 rd bedroom  into my room.  I have a tv and loveseat and have all my knitting and crafts right there. It’s  a great idea and we both get to enjoy what we want 

@meem120

That's great! I have a friend that did the same thing.  They joked and called their t.v. rooms --- Cinema 1 and Cinema 2!  Best wishes!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

Don't give up your car or phone.  Emergencies happen and you don't want to be glued to one another.  Be frugal with your money.  Things just seem to work out on their own.  Retire, run around naked and be happy!  GOOD LUCK!

@Sweet Caroline 1

Too funny!  LOL!  Yes --- key words --- Be Happy!!!  Thanks!