Trusted Contributor

Re: Serial returners are a big part of the problem

[ Edited ]

I guess having my maternal part of family come from third world country 1949 and living most of my youth in extreme poverty, USA Orphanges that were absolutely abusive and horrible my perspective is a bit jaded. The things folks throw away we could have only dreamed of wearing....or eating truthfully. I feel blessed to even be able to score a few items now from QVC. IS not much but am proud of the few things. LOL

IS a shame the waste....the fact that we can even  be blessed to be so selective....even now I remind myself of where I came from......I have returned a few things over the years and the pangs of extreme guilt still haunt me. Now if I can will take those "returns" to a local shelter and give to them. Someone will appreciate it. xxxxxxxx Stormy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz    Not all returns end up in landfills.  In fact one of the morning shows ran a piece on "do you wonder what happens to all those returns".  There are companies who buy those returns from various stores by the pound and what is resellable is resold and what is not is donated to various organizations that help out homeless shelters.    The merchandise has to be marked as second hand or not new condition.   It was an interesting piece.  There are about 3 or more companies who do this.  They showed their warehouses. It's a huge operation

Trusted Contributor

I know several people who almost always buy several sizes of a garment.  My sister orders two or three colors of handbags, etc so she can pick out the one she likes. She says the colors online are never accurate so she just picks out several and chooses one to keep when she sees them; she has no problem shipping the other ones back at her own expense. Cannot figure out why anyone does this! I hate having to return anything. Target has had a " black list" for years for serial returners.....they will do no refunds to anyone on the list. I rarely shop at Target anymore unless it's online. I have found if you are over 40 you just can't get any acknowledgment if you have a question or need assistance finding anything. Finally just stopped putting myself through that frustration. 

Respected Contributor

I returned a Christmas gift that was the wrong size to Target. My daughter gave me the gift receipt. It was a very easy return. I was given a Target gift card for the amount of the gift. If you have a receipt and the item is new and still has the price tag on I don't think it is a problem to return to most B&M stores. It is those who come in to return an item purchased so long ago that the item is no longer sold in the store and of course they have no receipt and did not put in on the store charge. But they insist it was recently purchased and want cash back. 

Respected Contributor

There are very few stores that accept returns without the receipt anymore.

Gone are the days where the customer is always right,because they aren't!

Many stores discovered that customers are thieves when it comes to returns. (Like returning the vaacum that felt heavy but it was packed with a brick of bar soap taped together with duct tape! Or use the expensive bag for one night and return it.) I worked retail in the days where some stores took anything back. When stores changed their return policy, profits went through the roof. 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

There would be far fewer returns if there was more truth or accuracy in advertising.  I won't be shamed into keeping anything either, when the makeup shade or performance isn't as described, when in person eyeshadow colors are far different from the online picture, or clothing doesn't fit as described or agree with the listed measurements.  Returned clothing goes back into inventory to be sold on a discounted price.  If there has been a clothing item that I don't want to miss out on, I will order two sizes to try on and I'll return one.  That's not being a serial returners, that's what I've had to do because there have been numerous times when I've used their charts and host or vendor guidance and it was misleading. 

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

When you order a garment in 2 sizes that counts as income from two sales. When you return one, the company loses that revenue. That's why if you make a habit of this, you are going to get a letter from the Q saying that you are making excessive returns, because you ARE returning too much; at least half of what you order. If you are so unhappy with the clothing and cosmetics that you are getting from the Q or anywhere else, for that matter, why do you continue to purchase items from them? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

When you order a garment in 2 sizes that counts as income from two sales. When you return one, the company loses that revenue. That's why if you make a habit of this, you are going to get a letter from the Q saying that you are making excessive returns, because you ARE returning too much; at least half of what you order. If you are so unhappy with the clothing and cosmetics that you are getting from the Q or anywhere else, for that matter, why do you continue to purchase items from them? 

#1 - I think I made it clear WHY I will SOMETIMES order two sizes. You have NO IDEA how often I've done it, so keep your lecture to yourself. 

#2 - I DON'T owe you any explanation on what I've done, BUT host, upon host, upon host, always says you can return or exchange an item, so I'm taking them at their word.

#3 - I've shopped QVC for many, many years and have never received this so-called letter or have had my shopping privileges suspended.

Honored Contributor

These people only ruin it for the rest of us who shop with honesty and integrity. It is a big part of the high cost of merchandise. I think many of these people have shopping addictions and are self-centered.

Trusted Contributor

I remember reading this board a long time ago and people were talking about the way customers would cheat QVC. They'd order cosmetics, dump the insides out if it was a powder, etc., then they would refill it some something different to return it.

I think where QVC went wrong with their too liberal return policy many years ago. People took advantage.