Honored Contributor

Sentencing phase for Charles "Chase" Merritt has started

[ Edited ]

Starting Monday.  The jury will hear from the Prosecution (3 days) and the Defence (2 days) whether or not Chase Merritt gets the death penalty in the mass murder of the McStay Family. 

Largely circumstantial with a couple of forensics, but not much.  DNA of Merritt on the steering wheel of the McStay family car. Also his cell phone pinged in the direct vicinity of the remote desert area burial of the family.  Chase claimed he was visiting his sister near by, but sister denied he was there. Jury only deliberated 27 hours total in giving a guilty verdict. So it must have been compelling.  Merritt was writing checks off from the McStay business for himself after the killings.  He had given an earlier guilty plea for the stolen checks. Merritt had accumulated huge gambling debts. Blood in house was painted over. The McStays were in the process of painting their home.  So have no idea what the jury will do.  Death penalty will be a moot point.  This is in California where death penalty is now in hiatus. Still a victory in convicting this guy.  I was so sure he would walk. Defence team was a shady duo.  One of the lawyers is in legal trouble because he approched one of the jurers. So this verdict can not be over turned (for now) This trial was originally supposed to start in 2014.  Repeated motions from shady defenders kept this trail from happening for 5 years.  The saddest part of this whloe nightmare must have been Summer McStay, unable to protect her children.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sentencing phase for Charles "Chase" Merritt has started

Death penalty would be appropriate. Briefly looking at the video Merritt evil evil monster. Prison population will take care of him. Child killer! 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Starting Monday.  The jury will hear from the Prosecution (3 days) and the Defence (2 days) whether or not Chase Merritt gets the death penalty in the mass murder of the McStay Family. 

Largely circumstantial with a couple of forensics, but not much.  DNA of Merritt on the steering wheel of the McStay family car. Also his cell phone pinged in the direct vicinity of the remote desert area burial of the family.  Chase claimed he was visiting his sister near by, but sister denied he was there. Jury only deliberated 27 hours total in giving a guilty verdict. So it must have been compelling.  Merritt was writing checks off from the McStay business for himself after the killings.  He had given an earlier guilty plea for the stolen checks. Merritt had accumulated huge gambling debts. Blood in house was painted over. The McStays were in the process of painting their home.  So have no idea what the jury will do.  Death penalty will be a moot point.  This is in California where death penalty is now in hiatus. Still a victory in convicting this guy.  I was so sure he would walk. Defence team was a shady duo.  One of the lawyers is in legal trouble because he approched one of the jurers. So this verdict can not be over turned (for now) This trial was originally supposed to start in 2014.  Repeated motions from shady defenders kept this trail from happening for 5 years.  The saddest part of this whloe nightmare must have been Summer McStay, unable to protect her children.

@songbird   I haven't been following this trial but have read your posts.  When did the defense attorney approach one of the jurors?  It seems like that would have caused a mistrial if it was during the trial.  I'm confused about that.  

This definitely seems like he deserves the death penalty.  With one of the Manson followers who originally got the death penalty able to get parole (that the Governor reversed), it seems like it might be better for him to get life without parole.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  I read something about that on Websluthes.  It is alleged one of the defense attorneys approached a juror.  That juror was immediate replaced (and he lawyer too)  The trial was delayed for a while.  then restarted. It's not clear he actually did. This happened after the jurors were selected.  Not when the trial actually started.  This trial was delayed in a total of nearly 5 years. Merritt was actually arrested in 2014.  Merritt would hire lawyers, then the lawyers would bail out on him.  At one point, Merritt was going to represent himself.  I think they're were a total of 5 different lawyers (teams) that Merritt hired and fired. 

I absolutely feel he is guilty and not the other business partner the defence hinted at.  He and Merritt were the first two people to be investigated.  That other partner was cleared.  Merritt (by his own admisson) was the last person to see Joseph McStay.  Merritt by the way was planning to write a book about the McStays.  He really thought he would be found non guilty.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@NickNack  I read something about that on Websluthes.  It is alleged one of the defense attorneys approached a juror.  That juror was immediate replaced (and he lawyer too)  The trial was delayed for a while.  then restarted. It's not clear he actually did. This happened after the jurors were selected.  Not when the trial actually started.  This trial was delayed in a total of nearly 5 years. Merritt was actually arrested in 2014.  Merritt would hire lawyers, then the lawyers would bail out on him.  At one point, Merritt was going to represent himself.  I think they're were a total of 5 different lawyers (teams) that Merritt hired and fired. 

I absolutely feel he is guilty and not the other business partner the defence hinted at.  He and Merritt were the first two people to be investigated.  That other partner was cleared.  Merritt (by his own admisson) was the last person to see Joseph McStay.  Merritt by the way was planning to write a book about the McStays.  He really thought he would be found non guilty.

This is all so interesting @songbird .  I'll have to read more about it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau