Honored Contributor

Re: Seniors Where do you get homeowners & car insurance?

@Mary Bailey   Our van is 20 years old.... We pay higher insurance  on the van than on our 2016 SUV.   The policies have everything the same...  I find that odd! 

Honored Contributor

I have had Farmer's Ins for 30-years - auto, home and umbrella for a shared beach front.  I have never had a claim so I can't speak to how good they are in responding.  I went to the agent and said I wanted to cut costs and he worked it out to lower my premiums and still have reasonable coverage.  

Valued Contributor

I have USAA. 

Had never heard of Hartford but recently was talking to an 85 year old aquaintance who has Hartford.  Several years ago she sold her old house & bought a new one that turned out to be a nightmare.  Lots of mold issues & problems.  Hartford has been terrible & has not been helpful at all. She plans to get rid of it & go with another company as soon as she can.

Frequent Contributor

USAA. 40 years. Home and auto bundle. They have always been there for us.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey

Your state should have auto insurance information on its site. This is a nice place to start looking for a new company. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best to find a local AGENT - who does business with many insurance companies - and finds the best insurance for ur needs. I found my insurance agent on Yelp - I have Mercury Insurance - homeowners and auto. It's nice to be able to go to their office and meet them.

Trusted Contributor

We had Farmers for a number of years and then switched to Geico.  We are pleased to get better coverage for less money.

Our umbrella policy has double the coverage and the premium is less, as well.

Respected Contributor

It depends how many claims have you filed for house or auto? I would bundle AARP good for retired people but you have to be a member which is about $9 a yr for membership. Get an independent insurance agent, they work with many different insurance companies & they will shop around for you. My DH (retired) & DD work for insurance company. Sometimes the cheapest isn't the best. I would middle price but independent work for themselves & scout around. My friend had 4 claims in 3yrs her insurance went up & she called me upset well what do you expect? I told her,should be thankful they didn't cancel you cuz you are a high risk. Don't like it find another ins. co. 

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey   I have an excellent driving record and the best deal is with State Farm.  Stay away from Allstate -- way too high.  I live in the suburbs of Chicago too.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

That's it no claims you get good discounts but some do have claims & ins. will go up depending what you claims have That is why some have a problem. Yep do 4 claims in 3yrs guess you will pay more don't act stupid it will go up no matter who ins. is with. People figure it out. Oh don't think I had several claims go into a new ins. co. they also know if you are a high risk it's all in the computer. They know how many claims you have no matter what ins. co you go to. DD is underwriter sees this stuff all the time. Dh was in claims we know this stuff. Most change ins. co cuz they put in so many claims thinking get new ins. will lower their cost. They know your claims. High risks pay the price.