Honored Contributor

Re: Senior ladies recreate Rhianna's Superbowl performance

[ Edited ]

Just as a point of information, that complaint count was to the FCC. No data that I've seen about complaints made to the network or elsewhere. A big meh as far as I was concerned. I didn't care for the performance, but not invested enough in it to make a complaint. As for the older ladies, no harm-no foul. I remember my parents in their 40's going to a costume event as Sonny and Cher in their initial incarnation.  I never assessed they were trying to be 'cute', they were just having fun and last time I checked, there was nothing wrong with that.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

How about we all do what makes us comfortable and happy, and let others live as they wish ?

that's the bottom line for everything. Some people enjoy the exchange of different ideas and have fun with a lively conversation. No one is telling anyone how to live.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

@Sooner, you're presuming these woman aren't being the same person they have always been. Some people are and have always been cute, silly, and adorable. 

I'm of the belief that as long as you're not hurting anyone else, do what makes you happy and gives you joy...at any age.

@Etoile308 What about the ones who weren't silly and adorable?  Who probaby don't want to be treated as silly and adorable but who those women fought to be?

They aren't all cutie pies, people who wear silly stuff, do childish stunts, and yet this is how we treat  elderly women.   You can have a good time without people making a fool out of you.  I'm saying women who fought be be more than cute and silly and hold a job, raise a family and make an earning wage like men deserve more respect than they get so often.  

Have seen far too much of it, I get angry about it and I'm not apologizing.  It is symptomatic of what we think of the elderly and how we treat them.  Especially women.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Etoile308 wrote:

@Sooner, you're presuming these woman aren't being the same person they have always been. Some people are and have always been cute, silly, and adorable. 

I'm of the belief that as long as you're not hurting anyone else, do what makes you happy and gives you joy...at any age.

@Etoile308 What about the ones who weren't silly and adorable?  Who probaby don't want to be treated as silly and adorable but who those women fought to be?

They aren't all cutie pies, people who wear silly stuff, do childish stunts, and yet this is how we treat  elderly women.   You can have a good time without people making a fool out of you.  I'm saying women who fought be be more than cute and silly and hold a job, raise a family and make an earning wage like men deserve more respect than they get so often.  

Have seen far too much of it, I get angry about it and I'm not apologizing.  It is symptomatic of what we think of the elderly and how we treat them.  Especially women.  

@Sooner, we all have free will to do as we please, it's unfair to criticize those who still want to have a bit of fun that is not hurting anyone. As the saying goes "you do you."

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I guess I find the assumption that any elderly man or woman (or anyone of any age) that wants to be silly, act silly, dress silly or simply take part in a silly video must somehow doing so against their desires and wishes. 

Most disturbing is the assumption that these individuals don't possess the ability to determine for themselves what activities they chose to participate in. I see no shackles or guns held to their heads. 

The concept that they are being paraded around and manipulated like marionettes on a string seems to me so inconsiderate of their own strength of character, their own fortitude and ability to make a conscious decision and use their free will. THAT does them a disservice. THAT is disrespectful and inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Etoile308 wrote:

@Sooner, we all have free will to do as we please, it's unfair to criticize those who still want to have a bit of fun that is not hurting anyone. As the saying goes "you do you."

@JaneMarple Of course.  I can see you now dressed up in a short skirt, Mardi-Gras beads and garish makeup doing the Charleston at 97.  It will be a riot!  You'll give a lot of folks laughs at your antics.  So we can look forward to the pictures.  I'll laugh myself silly.  

Frequent Contributor

She is gross and these old ladies are gross.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Etoile308 wrote:

@JaneMarple Of course.  I can see you now dressed up in a short skirt, Mardi-Gras beads and garish makeup doing the Charleston at 97.  It will be a riot!  You'll give a lot of folks laughs at your antics.  So we can look forward to the pictures.  I'll laugh myself silly.  

If I'm blessed to live that long and standing upright, then my music of choice would be 60's Motown. Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson