Respected Contributor

Re: Senior Portraits: this kinda ticks me off and yet...

The portraits are so ridiculously priced just about anywhere it is not even funny. They are just not the plain old school photos anymore, they have to make a statement about the child!!! 

Between portraits, letter jackets, class rings and etc etc etc - high school is pretty pricey - so, be prepared to pay a pretty penny, several several pennies...

My son was the last one to graduate and I remember those checks flying out the back door with him, and that has been a few years now. My grandson is a sophomore this year and my daughter is like OMG Mother!!! Seriously, getting those kids thru school just is not cheap these days by any means and it is not going to get any cheaper for sure.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624, I could not agree with you more!

I graduated early and I could have cared less about the whole "senior" stuff...when my sister graduated in 74, it was even more ridiculous with invitations, and personalized stationary in addition to the other garbage.

I think the whole graduation thing needs to be more egalitarian-especially in public schools.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Find a freelance photograher -- one that does photography on the side.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I am not an attorney.

Asking for a non refundable deposit on a contract with no financial disclosure seems illegal.

If no satisfaction was received from the principal or the studio (photographer) I would contact the school board.

Honored Contributor

Hey everyone!  It's been interesting to read how these things differ all over the country; it may indeed be a regional thing as to the pictures. As I said, the county BOE handles everything and this photographer does ALL the senior pictures for all the HS in my county (different group used for elementary, middle and the other 3 grades of HS).

We're not doing a senior trip (son is going to China as part of a college course after graduation and receives credit hours for it).

Regarding cap and gown: the photographer supplies a cap and gown in the colors of the HS for the photos so that's not a problem but ONLY if you purchase the most expensive package. We don't buy our cap and gowns; we RENT them. Yep. Don't know why, but that's the scoop. They get to keep their tassels, however. I've heard the rental fee is over a $100....we'll see.

Thanks for all the feedback; like I said, it's been an interesting thread! : )

Honored Contributor

@BirdieGal wrote:

Aside from the cap and gown senior pics we had to do (son and daughter) and those were done at a studio but the school used this one exclusively for cap and gown pics.

Then there was the senior page that we bought in the yearbook. We got professional ones done for both kids and included baby pics and them as young children as well. Our daughter wanted the old fashioned pin up girl style session. Of course age appropriate. So we did that. And buying the senior page, full page was $500.00 alone.

Seemed never ending in HS between that, band uniforms, sports uniforms, ridiculous week long trips, voice lessons, dance lessons, it goes on and on.

Her pin up girl shots were cute though. Here's one of them.

IMG_1921.JPG

@BirdieGal

Have senior pictures changed! (and I was a high school teacher for 30 years so saw a lot of yearbooks)

She's darling.

Trusted Contributor

IMG_1920.JPG@lulu2

Thank you! She's our girl. She recently moved across country and we miss her terribly.

These photos were for her senior page, not the standard yearbook picture. She is also my avatar here. In the avatar she is all made up for a performance at the college, hence the glitter.

Here is another from the same shoot. She's a music major hence the old time microphone. 

Honored Contributor

@BirdieGal

Again I say, she is darling!

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I would bring this up with the principal, PTA, School Board (whichever is appropriate in your case).  This is wrong on several levels (what about families with twins or triplets of whatever).  My Son graduated ten years ago and we went with the minimum pkg.  I don't think High School is the high point of lice; most people in today's world graduate regardless so where's the achievement?  Now there are graduations for preschool, middle school etc, I know that I am probably in the minority here.

My dad had a twin sister.  Their father died from the flu in 1918 when they were infants, and they didn't have a lot of money for a senior picture. So they had it taken together to minimize the cost. 

When they were older, they were so happy that they did. This senior photo was (and still is) priceless to everyone that knew them.  It looked very similar to the tin-type photos. One of my most cherished possessions to this day!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree Senior Pics are outrageous. My son got his taken and never brought home the package information.. This was just before the computer generation lol...I did have about fifteen various shots that they sent home with the package he forgot that had little star stapled thru the bottom so you couldn't reuse them...AHA...but I did..I was able to do it.

My daughter - paid about $400 for the package and she cared...being a girl lol...we got the middle package I believe.

Our class/senior rings were purchased a few years prior ...not during their Senior Year. I often wondered about the $$ for the kids who didn't graduate. Graduation year did have a lot of expenses but everybody pretty much knew what was ahead. The school prepared us far in advance. The head shot they did was always free for the Year Book and you could go wherever you choose for your own after that if you did not want to purchase from the packages offered.

I $200 package sounds fair...you get the basics you need and that is it. I would shop around - I know of a lot of photographers that are starting out and/or small owned biz that would be cheaper. Especially today with digital photography. Give them a shot  - you may be surprised.

That said the only thing I have NEVER seen is the "county" pick-up the tab for Senior Photos. I do not believe it. I believe their may be a fund at the school/elsewhere that assists families with these expenses but I do not believe any "county" agency or anything will purchase Senior Pics. They provide much needed essential services to the county residents like food assistance, WIC, Medicaid. I do not believe they have a budgeted "Senior Pic" line in their budget. Especially these days when the tax payers are very diligent about spending on tax dollars and I am having a hard time believing the "county" paid for any pictures.

I believe their may be funding at the school level thru PTA or other parent organizations that assist with these expenses as well as field trips and other necessities that kids cannot afford otherwise.

When you stoop to the level about the "county" paying for those less fortunate it takes from the topic... For the Grace of God Go I....