Honored Contributor

Re: Senior Portraits: this kinda ticks me off and yet...

When my niece graduated 10 years ago, they could all submit their own pics. Didn't have to be any posed ones. Any casual pic friends or family had taken. I saw the final yearbook and it was a fun way to do it instead of the posed senior pics like I had in the day. This was in Massachusetts.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I would bring this up with the principal, PTA, School Board (whichever is appropriate in your case).  This is wrong on several levels (what about families with twins or triplets of whatever).  My Son graduated ten years ago and we went with the minimum pkg.  I don't think High School is the high point of lice; most people in today's world graduate regardless so where's the achievement?  Now there are graduations for preschool, middle school etc, I know that I am probably in the minority here.

@patbz  After I moved on from high school, graduated from college, got a job etc., etc. you realize what little importance the HS graduation has in the great scheme of things.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We're going with the basic.

In my senior year, we were allowed 2 pictures: girls had a drape and cape and gown; boys had a tux and cap and gown. We're talking the 80's. No additional poses, no filters, no anything but simple and classic shots. 

My parents spent $50 total on all the pictures. Lol, they had to as only ONE option was available; if you wanted more, then you contacted the photographer and order more. It was 1 8x10 of the 2 shots, 1 5x7 of each shot and then 6 wallet of each shot. Done.

BTW, are HS rings no longer in? Asked son about it and he said why would anyone want that? It's the college ring you purchase...no wait...your GRAD or Dr. or Law school or whatever it is you finally finish with.

Ok then, son. You just saved us a few more dollars, lol.

Frequent Contributor

The way senior pics are done must be a regional thing.  We live in Minnesota (twin cities area)  and I had a daughter graduate in 2014 and 2016.  We have never had senior pictures done in a cap and gown for the yearbook.  They don’t even get their cap and gowns until a week before the graduation in June.  

Here the incoming seniors all get their senior pictures done over the summer they finish their junior year.  Some use professional studios, some use students who are photographers for the paper or have it as a hobby, some take their own.  Mose use photographers who take the pictures and put them on a CD.  This way is usually cheaper and you pay a flat fee - no sitting fee and no over the top budget needed for these pictures.  You then choose the pictures you want and go to Sams, Costco, or somewhere to have your pictures printed.  

The school has a deadline of sometime in October to have the student send in the picture of their choosing from their photo session to be their senior picture in the yearbook.

Regarding class rings- here they are not even a thought.  I graduated in 1984 (which is light years ago according to my kids!!) and we weren’t even ordering class rings back then!   

Hopefully you get your senior picture issue resolved— good luck!

Honored Contributor

my son and daughter graduated just a few years ago and i think we paid maybe a $60 sitting fee, which included about a dozen or so proofs (and a cap and gown photo....maybe two?) we chose a pretty basic background. the photos were taken at school. i did not buy a ton of photos and it cost about $250. you dont have to spend a lot and i believe you could just buy one or two if you wanted. there were also coupon codes on their website for totals starting at $199.

the company the school used was prestige portraits/lifetouch.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

What a racket!! So glad I don't have kids.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are they making you pay for these pictures that go in the yearbook? Here you get your picture in, even if you don't pay. Seniors wear the same things. The photographer provides the clothes. If you want to do another senior picture, you can find your own photographer or do them yourself. (these don't go in the yearbook)

Honored Contributor

@last mango wrote:

The way senior pics are done must be a regional thing.  We live in Minnesota (twin cities area)  and I had a daughter graduate in 2014 and 2016.  We have never had senior pictures done in a cap and gown for the yearbook.  They don’t even get their cap and gowns until a week before the graduation in June.  

Here the incoming seniors all get their senior pictures done over the summer they finish their junior year.  Some use professional studios, some use students who are photographers for the paper or have it as a hobby, some take their own.  Mose use photographers who take the pictures and put them on a CD.  This way is usually cheaper and you pay a flat fee - no sitting fee and no over the top budget needed for these pictures.  You then choose the pictures you want and go to Sams, Costco, or somewhere to have your pictures printed.  

The school has a deadline of sometime in October to have the student send in the picture of their choosing from their photo session to be their senior picture in the yearbook.

Regarding class rings- here they are not even a thought.  I graduated in 1984 (which is light years ago according to my kids!!) and we weren’t even ordering class rings back then!   

Hopefully you get your senior picture issue resolved— good luck!

They don't get their caps and gowns until the end of the year. Same when I graduated. They do not wear cap and gown for the yearbook picture here.

Honored Contributor

I honestly don't remember what my kids' senior pictures cost.  I think they weren't too bad and we chose from the cheaper packages.

I do remember spending over $300.00 for my dd's class ring that she just had to have then never wore (ds didn't want one).  Of course proms were costly plus everything that went along with them and then there was the senior class trips that they both went on to Disney World.

Senior year can be pricey...but not as expensive as the years to follow in college!

Honored Contributor

the cap and gown pic is not necessarily for the yearbook.

they do take a pic here, but it is not a full gown......they have cap and gown "props" that the students use. same with the usual "off the shoulder dress" that the girls get photographed in.

at our school you were NOT required to use the company that the school chose. you could take your own pics or hire someone to do them for you. all you had to do is  provide one photo to the yearbook club. if you did not provide a photo, your spot in the yearbook was just a blank rectangle with your name underneath.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein