Honored Contributor

Re: Senior Portraits: this kinda ticks me off and yet...

[ Edited ]

@CouponQueen  You can believe whatever you want but yes, my county does pick up the tab for those seniors who can not afford the pictures or the graduation fees.  This same county supplies those students (who prove need) backpacks full of school supplies, pays for the cost of field trips (be it 1 day or multiple), flu shots (for those without insurance) and many other services that those of us who can afford, do pay for. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Senior Portraits: this kinda ticks me off and yet...

@SahmIam wrote:

whatcha gonna do?

Son is having Senior Portraits done this week. First off, their site is HORRIBLE. I won't go into the reasons but it's a nightmare and useless.

*I have to pay $25 for a sitting fee that is not applied to photos purchased

*I can not find out the cost of the photos. That's because they don't tell you until AFTER you have been sent the proofs. 

*You can only have a cap and gown photo with the PREMIER photo shoot which is $125 sitting fee, offers 25-30 poses, 12 backgrounds and CAP AND GOWN.

Yes, I could go elsewhere but where? Target? No more. Walmart? No more. JC Penny? NO more. Private photographer? Nope, way too expensive. I contacted the school to see if THEY had any idea how much a basic set of photos runs and I was told that it's around $200. 

WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. OMG, what a racket. So, what does the PREMIER set average (you know, the one with the $125 sitting fee). She said, on average, around $2000 and up.

You know what? There are that many parents out there that actually pay that price and well....I'm not one of them. She laughed and said she wasn't either; we're the rare ones, however.

Wow.

Oh yeah, it is a racket for sure. Make sure that your child's picture will be included in the yearbook....the year my oldest son graduated, you HAD to buy a senior portrait, or he would not have been in the annual. Those prices started at $65..and that was almost 15 years ago. I think I paid about $200 for all his senior year photos, but that also included a frame and some other items.