Respected Contributor

Re: Senior Citizen's Letter to Bank-get ready to laugh!

[ Edited ]

Having a DD who handles fraud and IT security for her bank I find this not amusing but typical of certain customers who think just because they have an account at the bank can just write endless checks on funds that are not there.

And then blame their irresponsibility on the bank. 

This seems to happen a lot and people like this go from bank to bank with the same "oh my old bank didn't do this attitude" when they get caught.  Which is ironic since all banks have rules against writing unsecured checks on phantom funds.

Honored Contributor

I'd vote for him !

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

If true, maybe all that time & detail should be spent on his/her

account as not to bounce said check in the first place.

Pssst: Check Kiting is fraud.

@sidsmom  I agree.  It would have taken more than a nano second for his check to bounce.

He had to have known (after 8 years) the date or day of the month that his pension check is deposited.   The plumber took the check and deposited his earned payment most likely the same day.  The pension could not have possibly been available that same day or the check would not have bounced.

He doesn't understand the flow of $$ through the bank.

While the letter is "clever" at best it won't happen. 

I am wondering if the plumber may have deposited the check the night before at the ATM.  My bank will credit a deposit as same day as long as the deposit is made by 9pm.  

Either way - I am wondering about the Author - it seems like too much protesting/more to the story.

Trusted Contributor

Why do you refer to the writer as a "he'????? Females can be jerks also.  Look at the world .  Jerks come in all types.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

You think a man wrote this?  My reaction, that only a woman could have produced such a well-written letter, with details, humor and steel. 

OH I agree.   As I read it, I could only  see a woman writing it. 

Sorry but I have a son who can write this well (and funny and sarcastic) and he is just 20. Lots of men are really talented writers, especially when motivated to do so.

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

While I know this is supposed to be funny, I find no humor in it at al.  In fact, I find the writer of the letter to be a jerk.

The moral of the story is that he wrote a bad chek.  He did not have money in the account when he wrote it.  He deserves the penalty.

As for sending loan payments to one specific person, he could try thaet; however, his loan agreements (surely) stipulate where the payments must be made.  Sending t to a speifi person would only serve to delay the payments (and possibly have them lost) resulting in penalties.

If he wants to be a jerk, go for it, but maybe he should accept responsibility for doing something he should not have done.

I think most people are missing the point. 

It probably isn't a 'real' letter.

Even if it is, it is about how banks (and other businesses and institutions) place more and more cumbersome demands on us (the paying customer) and expect us to jump through hoops to the point of ridiculous.

It's just a little jab at 'giving them a taste of their own medicine' , or fantasizing about leveling the playing field a little bit.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

While I know this is supposed to be funny, I find no humor in it at al.  In fact, I find the writer of the letter to be a jerk.

The moral of the story is that he wrote a bad chek.  He did not have money in the account when he wrote it.  He deserves the penalty.

As for sending loan payments to one specific person, he could try thaet; however, his loan agreements (surely) stipulate where the payments must be made.  Sending t to a speifi person would only serve to delay the payments (and possibly have them lost) resulting in penalties.

If he wants to be a jerk, go for it, but maybe he should accept responsibility for doing something he should not have done.

I think most people are missing the point. 

It probably isn't a 'real' letter.

Even if it is, it is about how banks (and other businesses and institutions) place more and more cumbersome demands on us (the paying customer) and expect us to jump through hoops to the point of ridiculous.

It's just a little jab at 'giving them a taste of their own medicine' , or fantasizing about leveling the playing field a little bit.

Yes knowing that your account is not overdrawn should not be your responsibility. You should just write checks with out a care as to whether or not funds are available. How dare the bank do their job and then when they dare to question you they better get ready for a taste of their own medicine? 

Really? regardless if this is real or not this is the persons responsibility. I know exactly what is in all my accounts and I would not write a check without knowing ahead of time if funds were there or not. And if they weren't I would blame the bank for my being irresponsible. 

Banks would not have to put so many safe guards on the money deposited into the accounts what you see as "cumbersome demands" If idiots like the "letter writer" did not try to write bad checks. It is there for the public's protection and funny it is always those who complain the loudest about these safe guards being in place are also the ones screaming to high heaven if there money is not being protected.

Targeting a banker who is following federal and state banking and insurance regulations is ridiculous. If they do not do their job, which they are trained to do including FBI bank ground checks, certifications and licensing they will be fired and if serious enough if they do something that goes against the banks policy they could find themselves arrested and facing criminal charges. 

So before you complain about that lower level bank employee doing the job they are trained to do stop and inquire if you as the customer are being fiduciarily responsible with your money.