Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Selling products/services on social media?

@Mominohio  .... Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Not on facebook and would never trust any selling or buying from there.

Respected Contributor

@TX-starlight  Thank you so much for the additional information!!  It is so helpful rather then jumping into something.  Agreed, it would be wonderful if the Q could establish a system allowing those who wish to make personal contact to do so.

I have seen my nephew's wife doing some sale postings and hopefully she can assist me also.  If I make a few dollars here and there it would be fine. I have many items such as craft supplies I'd offer for free.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny Consider donating craft supplies to a nursing home, church, or library. I have a friend who is an activity director in a care facility. Our local nursing homes are always having something for the residents, & ask for donations, sometimes even buy items. I donated TONS of moms things to the nursing home. 

**Also many Day Care like donations of crafting supplies. When closing moms final household, I donated anywhere I possible could. 

Honored Contributor

I've never done it but I recently joined our local city's garage sale site on FB for the purpose of doing it.  My SIL has had great success with it as has a friend of mine when her mom and brother passed.

The nice thing is you don't have to worry about packing things up and shipping like you do with e-bay and there are no fees involved like there are with E-bay either.  

Honored Contributor

it can be done, while the hours are flexible I think the amount of time reflects the gain.

spend some time research what you need to do , I would start on youtube----many videos there on those who are doing this.

no risk --- no reward 

go luck

in addition many towns have areas set up in which you can do "your deals" in a public area so you are not at risk 

Respected Contributor

I sold a smartphone on FB. I was packing to move to my apartment and that was the only thing I wasn't keeping that was worth selling.  Believe me, I was well aware of the risks of doing this online, but it turned out fine. I told the buyer I would meet him at the end of my driveway so that way he wasn't close to the house and could try to get in. I would do it again if I had things to sell. You could also try the Letgo app too - but I've heard both good and bad things about it. 

I know a guy that sells on Ebay as his full-time job. He's made pretty good money doing it, but it takes a lot of time and patience, and dealing with packing, shipping, and fees. You never know what's going to be successful and what's not. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

it can be done, while the hours are flexible I think the amount of time reflects the gain.

spend some time research what you need to do , I would start on youtube----many videos there on those who are doing this.

no risk --- no reward 

go luck

in addition many towns have areas set up in which you can do "your deals" in a public area so you are not at risk 

Yes, I guess I didn't mention that in great detail, but most people meet in the daylight and in a public place, like the mall parking lot, or some cities have pick up zones right in the parking lot of the city police department or the county court house. 

Know the area that you agree to meet in and be sure there are a lot of people around. Grocery store parking lots and fast food parking lots are places I often meet with folks. 

You exchanged via private message, what kind of cars you will be driving and the color, so you can tell who to look for when meeting, as well.

When setting up pick up places and times definitely use the private message feature, so not everyone in the group knows what and where your are going.

Everything in life has it's risks, but I know my area and have had really good luck with this. I've had a couple of 'no shows' but I have had really good luck doing this.