Trusted Contributor

Selling products/services on social media?

Does anyone do this, and if so, have you had success doing it?  I need a job with very flexible hours, as my mom goes to dialysis three days a week.  I have friends who sell various products on FB, but I'm not sure how successful they are.

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to make money on FB or at home?  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Selling products/services on social media?

@Sue98 A few yrs ago, I started downsizing my moms estate. I did most on the Facebook for sale groups. Most people would be shocked how much money I have made doing this. The sales have slowed down greatly in the last 2 yrs. I also started downsizing my own household. Anything in my cabinets I wasn't using, I sold. You would be surprised what you can get rid of, that is just sitting in cabinets & closets, and still make money! There are selling apps for doing this also, but I do not use those, too many unknown people on those.

Honored Contributor

Are you asking about being an on-line rep for a certain product?

I had a few friends on FB that did it and I had to unfriend them because it became annoying.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently started selling off the things I was needing to purge from my home on local Facebook garage sale sites. 

I have done really well making money on things that would otherwise just have been donated to a thrift store. 

I can list and manage what I'm selling at any time of the day or night, so not tied to a schedule. I can choose sites that are based in my local city or ones farther out if I think there might be a bigger audience of interested customers.

I can choose when and where I meet people to pick up the items or I can choose to have them come to my home, if comfortable with that. 

There is no packing and shipping and worrying if people will not like the product when it arrives, or worrying about damage in transit. They see what they are getting up front. There is no entity taking a percentage of the sale, like ebay, and no long wait for payment, like when using paypal.

I can make the transactions cash only, and then have no worries about processing credit cards or taking bad checks. 

This may or may not be something you could make enough money on for what you are needing, and I think a lot of people aren't cut out for it, or don't have the time for such a small return, and are looking for a real online sales type business. But if you have never done any online FB selling, this might get your feet wet, and let you see if it is something that might work for you, and get rid of a lot of unused and unwanted things from your home.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio .... How do you get started with selling on Facebook?  I have to clear out things from my mother's house .... and then mine!  

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio You gave a better idea of the FB selling, than I did,lol.. SO much easier than having a garage/estate sale. I do porch pick up, & have never had anything happen in 4yrs I've been doing this. For security reasons, I do not use the selling apps. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ItsME wrote:

@Mominohio .... How do you get started with selling on Facebook?  I have to clear out things from my mother's house .... and then mine!  

Thank you.

@ItsME

Of course first, you have to have a FB account. If you already do and are familiar with it, it will be very easy for you.

Then search facebook for groups. The garage sale sites I found were simply by searching on Facebook for "garage sale sites in (fill in the blank of the city and state you want)". 

You have to join the groups, simply by requesting, then wait to be admitted. It usually happens in a couple of hours, depending on how many administrators the group has.

While waiting, photograph with your phone, the item you wish to sell. 

Once joined to a group, go to their page, and there is a question asking "what are you selling?" with a picture icon next to it. Click on the picture icon, and your pictures should come up. Tap on the photos you want to use, then click on "next" at the top of the screen. 

That will take you to a page with spaces to fill in for what the item is, the price, a description etc. Then just follow the prompts for posting. 

I find it best to be detailed in the listing with sizes, condition, brands, etc. I try to take a number of pictures, much like you see people do on Ebay.

Be sure to include your payment options, where pick up will be etc. 

People may comment on the post or send you a private message, so be sure to check both of those frequently. 

Also I make sure to post to several garage sale sites for more exposure.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Sue98 for starting this topic.  I am not a big user of Facebook but have noticed the Facebook sales groups and am curious. @Mominohio and @TX-starlight, thank you both for sharing your experience and tips.  Please share more.  

I am trying to get my "stuff" down to only what I need, giving to family members and donating.  Honestly though, it does nag at me a bit not to gain even a few dollars here or there.  This looks like an option I could use as I don't want to get involved with yard sales or flea markets.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny join a couple of local groups. make sure to read the rules, (each group is somewhat different). I also admin a couple of groups, I wish I could email or chat with you more in depth, lol.... Watch the groups to see how things work. Get familiar with names on there. You can chose to meet people, or porch pick up, whatever works for your schedule & trust. Set the prices within reason, (some price too high). I tend to price slightly above what I actually want, they almost always ask for lower prices. Watch the buyers, mainly for reasons of trust. Some have no show habits. I will not allow people to remain on the group, if they make a habit of no shows. Of course, above ALL, be safe!!

Honored Contributor

Back a few years (probably late 90s) I sold items on eBay because I was in the first stages of my many downsizing projects. I was able to sell a couple of collections for reasonable prices through mail only.

I’m not so sure nowadays.