Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 966
Registered: ‎03-26-2010

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

I see your point, but I feel bad for your husband, he can’t drive anymore and he’s losing his truck..if it were me and I didn’t need the money I would hang on to it...it sounds like it means a lot to him, but if it doesn’t that’s different.  It’s in the garage not outside how bad can it deteriorate...but I don’t know a lot about cars...tough call...I’m sure you’re doing what’s right for your situation...good luck with everything😍

The meaning of life is to find your gift, the purpose of life is to give it away.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 873
Registered: ‎03-19-2016

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

@gidgetgh  My 1966 Mistang is sitting in the garage and my son hasn’t moved it in 2 years because it wouldn’t start.

I’m certain the battery is bad and tires are flat. He has another at his house that is the same way. 

The cars have sentimental value but are just deteriorating and taking up space. 

I have threatened to have mine hauled off but it’s in both of our names. 

I hope you can sell the truck!

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,072
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Selling my husband's Truck


@Chrystaltree wrote:

That's not how I would handle it.  It would have to be hubby's decision or a mutual decision.  It's an emotional thing for him and there's no rush so we'd talk and I'd give him time to be comfortable with the decision to sell his truck.  


 

 

@Chrystaltree - well, you’re not handling it.  We are.  But I appreciate your input.   I introduced the subject a few weeks ago and so far it’s just baby steps. Stuff that needs to get done. Had to get the inspection and tag so we did that.  We’d been procrastinating on the service work so we’re getting that done,  One step at a time. He’ll get there and when he does he’ll be comfortable with it all.  He knows deep inside that he can’t drive anymore. I told him to just put some thought to it and give me ideas on whether we’d sell it to Carmax or if one of his sons would take it.  He’s thinking about all that. 

 

He told me last week that in his entire entire adult life, he’s never had less than two cars (always had a car and a work van). I told him that if that’s his biggest concern, we can sell the truck and buy a second car.  Something smaller that I feel comfortable driving and that would take some of the mileage off our main car. He thought about that for a few days and then he said that maybe that wasn’t a big issue after all.  

 

I’m not rushing him.  I want him to get to his comfort level on his own.  But I do have to steer the process some or it would never get done. 


Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,462
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh , I am sure the decision is very difficult.  I do not know why your husband cannot drive, but I assume that he will never have that opportunity again, it has to be reallly hard to accept that reality...

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,072
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Selling my husband's Truck


@momtodogs wrote:

@gidgetgh , I am sure the decision is very difficult.  I do not know why your husband cannot drive, but I assume that he will never have that opportunity again, it has to be reallly hard to accept that reality...


 

@momtodogs - he has Parkinson’s and early stages of Parknson’s related dementia.  He’s “fine” most of the time, but then sometimes he’s not. And you never know when that will be. 

 

It’s horrible all the way around. He won’t be able to drive again.  


Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,276
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

I'd only do it if he was 100% on board with the idea. If it sits in your garage, I see no harm in keeping it. Think of how fast some people go downhill after a change in their life (losing a spouse, or relocating to a new place at the urging of their children). If it gives him hope and peace, I'd just keep it. You provided us with some very good reasons for selling the truck but I just wanted to provide an alternative.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,072
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Selling my husband's Truck


@Auntg wrote:

I'd only do it if he was 100% on board with the idea. If it sits in your garage, I see no harm in keeping it. Think of how fast some people go downhill after a change in their life (losing a spouse, or relocating to a new place at the urging of their children). If it gives him hope and peace, I'd just keep it. You provided us with some very good reasons for selling the truck but I just wanted to provide an alternative.


 

@Auntg - I appreciate your comments. Thanks. 


Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,014
Registered: ‎01-06-2015

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

I have no opinion on what you should do @gidgetgh , just wanted to say that I have an idea how painful these things are. When it comes to people you love.

 

I had to sell my Mom's car last year six months after her death. It was the nicest car she ever had. I picked out the dealership and we went there together and shopped for the car. 

 

This car represented what was supposed to be a new start for her and a brighter future when she was recovering from a chronic illness. She drove it for quite a while. Then she was diagnosed with cancer and never drove it again.

 

When she was in hospice at home she used to talk about driving again and us going shopping together again. I understand all the emotional painful stuff that surrounds something like this. It's about so many things other than the object. 

"I carry your heart, I carry it in my heart"
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,171
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

If you don't need the income, let it sit.

Make sure someone drives it, because things can go bad if you don't.

Sell it private party, not  to the dealer.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,883
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Selling my husband's Truck


@gidgetgh wrote:

@momtodogs wrote:

@gidgetgh , I am sure the decision is very difficult.  I do not know why your husband cannot drive, but I assume that he will never have that opportunity again, it has to be reallly hard to accept that reality...


 

@momtodogs - he has Parkinson’s and early stages of Parknson’s related dementia.  He’s “fine” most of the time, but then sometimes he’s not. And you never know when that will be. 

 

It’s horrible all the way around. He won’t be able to drive again.  


@gidgetgh I’m sorry about your husband’s health situation. I don’t know what it would be like to be in your shoes but I know it’s challenging. 

 

My friend went through dealing with her husband’s Parkinson’s issues for almost 10 years.  One of the meds her dh was given made him seem to have dementia much worse than what he actually had.  😢😢😢