Esteemed Contributor

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

@gidgetgh @How are you selling it?  I have a car that is in a similar situation.  I'm not fond of having buyers come to the home.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@gidgetgh @How are you selling it?  I have a car that is in a similar situation.  I'm not fond of having buyers come to the home.

@Snoopp - if we don’t sell it to my stepson (or give it to him or whatever) we would sell it to Carmax.  We’ve used them before when selling my husband’s work van several years and also my dad’s car in 2015. Easy transactions. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda  Thanks but I’m aware of the value.   I would leave it up to my Son (who was born in ‘66 when my husband left me to go to Vietnam & bought the car) to sell.  It’s a beige Coupe. His Dad rebuilt a red 68 Fastback for him that is worth more due to the style. One is at his house and one at mine. 

They need to be driven more but are temperamental! Have Classic tags so no expense.

Trusted Contributor

If at all possible, I would try my very best to let the decision be his. This might just be another thing that he feels he is losing control over and I'm sure very hard for him. But I know you are trying to do the right thing. 

Honored Contributor

@speedy girl wrote:

If at all possible, I would try my very best to let the decision be his. This might just be another thing that he feels he is losing control over and I'm sure very hard for him. But I know you are trying to do the right thing. 

@speedy girl - thanks.  It will be a joint decision.  Mostly his, but my husband likes to hold on to just about all things and sometimes needs a little nudging.

I asked him last night if he was upset about the truck.  He looked at me like I had two heads.  He said that he's not emotionally attached to his truck- it's "just a vehicle".  He's trying to process the no driving issue (of course) even though he has driven only once in a year and a half.  He said he KNOWS that he "more than likely" won't return to driving but that he's trying to get to the point where he accepts that "more than likely" becomes "can't".

He told me that cleaning out our basement last July was much more of an emotional "thing" than selling his truck.  I knew that back then and we took our time and it was his decision or a joint decision on everything we got rid of.  When we finished that huge project, he thanked me for giving him the push to get it done.

My husband and I are a team.  Sometimes I'm the leader and sometimes he is, but most decisions are made together.  I would never just go sell his truck on my own.  Never.  And I couldn't, LOL, the title is in his name.

He is aware that his illness is progressing and he knows that I'm scared of all of what that entails.  We talked again last night about possibly needing to sell the house and buy a smaller house at some point if our stairs become an issue and he knows that I'd be the one doing most of the work on that. He understands that by cleaning out the basement, attic, selling the truck and stuff I'm just trying to control the things we can control now so that if we have to move we won't have to do all that on top of moving.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@esmerelda Thanks but I’m aware of the value.   I would leave it up to my Son (who was born in ‘66 when my husband left me to go to Vietnam & bought the car) to sell.  It’s a beige Coupe. His Dad rebuilt a red 68 Fastback for him that is worth more due to the style. One is at his house and one at mine. 

They need to be driven more but are temperamental! Have Classic tags so no expense.

@1Snickers  I didn't mention the value.  I responded to your post #12 in this thread when you said you'd sell yours but it's in both names.  I asked can you get a new title.  Will the other person (son? husband?) sign it over to you so you can sell it.

No expense?  Do you not need/have insurance on your Mustang?

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I completely understand. I finally got my husband to agree to sell 2 of his cars. Not due to health reasons but because we’re a family of 2 drivers & have 5 cars. It’s totally not necessary. Two of the cars are for everyday use. Unfortunately it’s been difficult trying to sell the first one. It’s a classic /historic car with a lot of money put into it. It was in car shows & won a lot. It’s a beautiful car but only a specific person is going to want it. Anyway, the cars are driven, it costs money to maintain them & insurance is expensive. Not money well spent.
Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy  Have you considered eBay?  HUGE audience there.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda. It was originally in my name under prefix Mrs. then the State dropped the prefix so it was under my husband’s name. (I used to tell him he stole it). 

After he passed I regestered it under both my Son’s and my name. Since then I have a trust and it will go to him anyhow. 

He pays for insurance which is minimal due to being a Classic car, but no cost to me. 

Good thing I talked my husband out of building a larger garage or there would be a Cobra there also!

He needs to drive them more but after sitting they are hard to start.

Trusted Contributor

I am anticipating selling my dad's car - he got it last year, brand new, and he is 92.  He had a pacemaker put in last week, and I stored the car at my office so he wouldn't get in it and drive too early.  Well, the explosion when he realized the car wasn't at his disposal was a hint at things to come, I fear. No matter what the reason, these changes are upsetting to all people invovled.