Respected Contributor

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

@gidgetgh 

I have no advise.  I cannot imagine your sadness and his sadness.   I have been with my husband for almost 43 years and married for 42.  I am sending big hugs to you and will also pray for you.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   I'm so sorry about your husband.  I don't know how old you and your DH are but mine also has serious health issues.  We're both in our 60s.  This is not how I expected life to be at this stage....I thought that once our kids we out of college and really on their own it would be our turn to enjoy things in life that we couldn't before.  However it's not how things turned out.

I've mentioned before that he has a rare autoimmune illness which is sort of similar to MS.  It's been awful!  ...an emotional roller coaster...up one day where I think .... or I let myself think things will be okay then there are the dark spells.  Right now I'm in Florida visitng with my 92 year old mother with her own health issues.   My kids are taking turns keeping an eye on their father but for now he seems okay.  ....It's exhausting, sad & scary!

I understand the sadness you feel.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh  I really feel badly for you and your husband.  But you sound like you're facing reality and doing the best for your situation. It's maddening to see people post  "if it were me" stuff.  Well,it AIN'T them is it?  Even as a strong woman,you need support right now.  I hope you have good people around you.  All the best to you and your husband.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@sweetee2 wrote:

If it were me I would ask myself " is there a reason to sell it". Need the money, need the room. It's going to cost a few hundred dollars to do everything you want done. Is it worth it and will you make it back when you sell it. Besides hubby wants to keep it. 

@sweetee2 - we don’t need the money and we don’t need the room, but we don’t need the truck. I really don’t like driving it.  It’s just deteriorating sitting in the garage.  We’re paying for insurance on it and just paid $200 for this year’s tag.   The service work shouldn’t cost much,  tire rotation, oil change and stuff like that. The recalls will be free.  It’s a 2009, with very little mileage on it. 

I can’t think of a single reason to keep it. 

@gidgetgh  If you don’t need the money and you don’t need the room, respect your DH enough to let him keep it until he no longer wants it. 

You’re his wife, not his mother. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh,,  shhhh!. A response is not worth it.

I think your step son buying the truck is a perfect solution.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@gidgetgh  My 1966 Mistang is sitting in the garage and my son hasn’t moved it in 2 years because it wouldn’t start.

I’m certain the battery is bad and tires are flat. He has another at his house that is the same way. 

The cars have sentimental value but are just deteriorating and taking up space. 

I have threatened to have mine hauled off but it’s in both of our names. 

I hope you can sell the truck!

@1Snickers   A 66 Mustang could be worth 10K-50K, but I'm sure you know it's a valuable classic car.   Don't have it hauled off!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@gidgetgh 

I feel for both of you.

@Drythe - I feel horrible for my husband. It fills me with unrelenting,  overwhelming sadness. 

@gidgetgh Don't pay attention to some of the posts here. Your love and respect is obvious. To have to be that practical person while still experiencing so much pain and sadness is something I understand all too well. Sending you hugs and prayers.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh , it is a hard move but I understand completely where you are coming from.  If there is no use for something, I think you are better off disposing of it.  Some lucky person will snap that up.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@gidgetgh,,  shhhh!. A response is not worth it.

I think your step son buying the truck is a perfect solution.

@Marp - Picture it.  3:30 this morning and I couldn't sleep, so I picked up my phone.  Didn't even put my glasses on.  Bedroom was dark obviously.  I started reading the posts and got to this one and your first sentence made me giggle.  Thanks for that.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@gidgetgh   I'm so sorry about your husband.  I don't know how old you and your DH are but mine also has serious health issues.  We're both in our 60s.  This is not how I expected life to be at this stage....I thought that once our kids we out of college and really on their own it would be our turn to enjoy things in life that we couldn't before.  However it's not how things turned out.

I've mentioned before that he has a rare autoimmune illness which is sort of similar to MS.  It's been awful!  ...an emotional roller coaster...up one day where I think .... or I let myself think things will be okay then there are the dark spells.  Right now I'm in Florida visitng with my 92 year old mother with her own health issues.   My kids are taking turns keeping an eye on their father but for now he seems okay.  ....It's exhausting, sad & scary!

I understand the sadness you feel.

@haddon9 - I'm 63 and my husband just turned 76.

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband and send my best wishes to both of you.  You're right- things change day to day.  And it IS exhausting and scary isn't it.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?