Honored Contributor

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

While I'm not in your position, I've had to make some hard decisions that weren't popular.  I access the situation and gather all the information I can find.  I think you are making the right decision.

Esteemed Contributor

You are handling the trunk in baby steps and with your husband's dignity and feelings in tact. I've done basically the same thing with my mom's car several years ago.

Holding on to a vehicle is expensive and wasteful when someone else could have useful transportation. Additionally, I was afraid my mom would be tempted to try driving again. It wasn't in the cards; she was a dementia patient with good and not-so-good days. I wasn't about to take that chance.

I applaud your tenanacy and pragmatic thinking. Most of all, your love for your husband and his health shows through in how you think of him first. A truck is not the important thing in your life . . . he is. Best wishes to both of you.

I have a good friend with Parkinson's who is going on 28 years. He had to retire early and they returned to Lincoln from the East Coast. His wife now does all the driving (he is now in a wheelchair), but they still attend our footballs games, their grandkids events, most of the symphony and jazz concerts, our UN-L reunions, and so many other community programs. Their life remains full and happy. I'm sure his wife makes it possible.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh, IMO you are doing the responsible thing. As others have said, the value of that truck will diminish just sitting for long periods of time. You are being the stong one and slowly taking care of what needs to be done. Most men know that a car sitting in a garage without being driven is not a good thing, but they still have a hard time facing facts with their own vehicle. I'll be facing the same situation in a year or so - I'm already taking care of most everything that needs to be done, and I've learned that I just do what has to be done. You're doing the same thing. Bless you and stay strong.

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh,

Do what you have to do.  You say your stepson wants it, so at least the truck will be in the family and not sold to some stranger.  Quite honestly, I'm sure the last thing you want is your hubby w/Parkinson and beginnings of dementia, behind the wheel.  What if he has an accident and someone is seriously hurt, or worse?  

I believe you are doing the right thing.  I'm sure it's more of a "truck is in garage just in case" for him versus driving it.  Take that away and it's an admission of something bigger which none of us are ever ready to face.

My dad is 97 and thinks he can still drive.  Yeah, okay ... 

Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@gidgetgh, IMO you are doing the responsible thing. As others have said, the value of that truck will diminish just sitting for long periods of time. You are being the stong one and slowly taking care of what needs to be done. Most men know that a car sitting in a garage without being driven is not a good thing, but they still have a hard time facing facts with their own vehicle. I'll be facing the same situation in a year or so - I'm already taking care of most everything that needs to be done, and I've learned that I just do what has to be done. You're doing the same thing. Bless you and stay strong.

@jannabelle1 - I’m a very analytical person and a take charge person.  And I’m also very practical. We’re getting older. He’s 12 years older than me.  He’s not doing very well. He sleeps a lot of the time.  Lengthy naps. We totally cleaned our attic out a month or so ago.  Nothing in it at all.  Totally empty.   We did a massive purge in the basement last July.  What’s left down there could be easily cleaned out by a junk company in less than 30 minutes.  Our house is not cluttered at all.  Everything is in order with bank accounts, the house, medications, wills, etc.  I keep a tote bag packed and in the back of our office closet in case we have to head to the hospital quickly.  Just grab it and go.  I always have cash with me. Always. There is always a good amount of gas in my car. We’ve made the middle of the night trips to the hospital and I don’t want gas to be an issue in the middle of the night or at any time really. 

I keep in mind that at some point we might need to move to a smaller, one story house and if we do, I’ll be the one coordinating all that and that’s fine, I can handle it,  but much better to stay organized and take care of some things now in case we need to move. His truck is one of those hang over my head items. 

You stay strong also.  Take care. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I just want to say that I think you are amazing and wish you and your hubby the best.   Take care.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I feel for both of you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@gidgetgh 

I feel for both of you.

@Drythe - I feel horrible for my husband. It fills me with unrelenting,  overwhelming sadness. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@gidgetgh 

I feel for both of you.

@Drythe - I feel horrible for my husband. It fills me with unrelenting,  overwhelming sadness. 

@gidgetgh 

I teach geriatrics, and my Dad is 92.  

Sending 🤗‘S your way.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh, I am so very sorry.  This is so difficult but it does sound like you are doing very well under the circumstances and have quite a bit of empathy for your husband.  I wish there was something I could say that would make it better.  Those of us that have been in these situations with a spouse or parents know how hard it really is.  Sending my best to you and your husband.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *