Esteemed Contributor

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

As the owner of a necessarily large SUV w/4WD, I'd just Woman Up, put the love of my life in the passenger seat and let him enjoy it on errands.

Even if it's only for ice cream on a warm day and let him cherish his memories while he still can.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

If you don't need the income, let it sit.

Make sure someone drives it, because things can go bad if you don't.

Sell it private party, not  to the dealer.

@missy1 - “make sure someone drives it.”  It’s me and him. That’s it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh,  when mom could no longer drive her car sat for about two years.  That she could not drive was bad enough but to give up the car was a kind of finality that she couldn't handle.

Ultimately, it was a friend that approached asking if the car was for sale.  The fact that the car was going to someone she knew rather than a stranger was acceptable to her.

Perhaps among your friends there is someone that would be interested in buying the truck and maybe that would make it easier for your DH to accept letting it go.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@gidgetgh,  when mom could no longer drive her car sat for about two years.  That she could not drive was bad enough but to give up the car was a kind of finality that she couldn't handle.

Ultimately, it was a friend that approached asking if the car was for sale.  The fact that the car was going to someone she knew rather than a stranger was acceptable to her.

Perhaps among your friends there is someone that would be interested in buying the truck and maybe that would make it easier for your DH to accept letting it go.

@Marp - my oldest stepson said he wants the truck. 

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

I know little about your situation but, it's I know it's very bad for a vehicle to just sit.  The rubber belts rot, also the tires.  If you sell it privately, please have the tires checked first, so someone is not hurt.

I feel for you situation.

@Harvard99 - yep,  and don’t worry. Everything will be checked at the dealership on Wednesday and whatever needs repairing or replacing will be taken care of. We’re both really responsible people. 

No worries here.  Sounds like you're just frustated, need to vent and weren't looking for any opinions or feedback. 

Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

I know little about your situation but, it's I know it's very bad for a vehicle to just sit.  The rubber belts rot, also the tires.  If you sell it privately, please have the tires checked first, so someone is not hurt.

@Harvard99 - yep,  and don’t worry. Everything will be checked at the dealership on Wednesday and whatever needs repairing or replacing will be taken care of. We’re both really responsible people. 

No worries here.  Sounds like you're just frustated, need to vent and weren't looking for any opinions or feedback. 

@Harvard99 @No!  I really appreciated your comment. I was trying to put your mind at ease that we’d make sure everything was taken care of. Sometimes the written words don’t come across they way you mean them to.  I meant “don’t worry” sincerely. I appreciated your comment and literally didn’t want you to worry. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh @I feel so bad for you both.I can’t imagine how hard that is for you to be the one who must take this control.You are doing the right thing but in this case it is also the tough thing.I am sure your heart is heavy.I hope your dh will understand that it has to be, even though he isn’t ready to admit it.I wanted to say that I admire your courage and I am here a lot if you need to talk.Sending hugs to you and your dh.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh ....so sorry for your husband's diagnosos.

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Harvard99 @No!  I really appreciated your comment. I was trying to put your mind at ease that we’d make sure everything was taken care of. Sometimes the written words don’t come across they way you mean them to.  I meant “don’t worry” sincerely. I appreciated your comment and literally didn’t want you to worry. 

@gidgetgh  You're right, sometimes things don't translate properly or are misinterpreted.  Sorry if I did that. Thanks for taking the time to set this right.  I appreciate that. I hope everything goes well for you and your husband. Please let us know how this all turns out for you  Take care.

Valued Contributor

It sounds like you care deeply for your husband, and I’m sure you take great care of him.  You are under a lot of stress, too, and if you would feel better selling the truck, that’s what you need to do.  You don’t like to drive it, and your stepson would like to have it.  I think you are doing the right thing.