Honored Contributor

My husband’s truck has been sitting in our garage for quite awhile, a few years.  Well really, longer than that I think.  I don’t like driving it at all and he no longer drives because of his health issues. He’d still like to drive....wants to drive....doesn't really “get” why he can’t drive ...but I’ve been firm and he hasn’t driven in just over a year and a half except for one brief run up the street to get his truck inspected one year ago. He did fine that day but no driving since then.  

Anyway, it was time for this year’s inspection and time to get the tag renewed. The truck wouldn’t start (understandable). AAA came and put in a new battery two weeks ago.  Then I drove it and we got it inspected and we got the tag and back in the garage it went.

Anyway, I lightly mentioned selling it.  SLOWLY introduced the subject, knowing this is an emotional issue.   I mean, what are we going to do with it otherwise?  Continue to let it sit in the garage until it’s ready for the Smithsonian?

He really doesn’t want to sell it but I think that’s what we’ll do.  I just feel really bad for him.  It’s a big deal to give up driving and give up your car and I feel horrible for him, but driving is a no go for him.  Been through this twice before, with my parents when they were alive.  And now I get to go through it again.  It’s just ALL very sad.

So another baby step in that direction.  I called the car dealership this afternoon and made an appointment for next week to take it in and get service work done on it and two recalls taken care of.  On Monday, we’ll stop at the bank and get the title out of the safe deposit box.  Another baby step. 

I have the name of a guy who will come to our house and detail it for us,  I mentioned that to my husband this afternoon and he gave me a look.  He also walked outside while I was on the phone with the dealership making the appointment for the service. 

Another one of those life change moments.  They can be quite emotional  sometimes. Sometimes “adulting” can be hard. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Selling my husband's Truck

I am so sorry for both of you.  How hard it is be the one left in charge.  You are a strong woman.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I am so sorry for both of you.  How hard it is be the one left in charge.  You are a strong woman.

@Still Raining - thanks. I am very strong, but it’s heartbreakng. Not just the truck, but his health and stuff. It is very, very hard and sad. 

Trusted Contributor

If it were me I would ask myself " is there a reason to sell it". Need the money, need the room. It's going to cost a few hundred dollars to do everything you want done. Is it worth it and will you make it back when you sell it. Besides hubby wants to keep it. 

Trusted Contributor

I know little about your situation but, it's I know it's very bad for a vehicle to just sit.  The rubber belts rot, also the tires.  If you sell it privately, please have the tires checked first, so someone is not hurt.

I feel for you situation.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

If it were me I would ask myself " is there a reason to sell it". Need the money, need the room. It's going to cost a few hundred dollars to do everything you want done. Is it worth it and will you make it back when you sell it. Besides hubby wants to keep it. 

i dont know how much it is costing @gidgetgh , but keeping a car just without even the maintenance costs costs us around $1700+ a year with insurance and sticker fees, and inspection fees. having a car or truck just sit for years and years does it no good......hoses and belts deteriorate. mice can crawl into the engine and eat wiring, fuses go bad, the gasoline in the tank gets bad.  it is never a good idea to just have a car and let it sit without using it.

wishing you good luck and strength @gidgetgh. hopefully it wont bother him too much.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

That's not how I would handle it.  It would have to be hubby's decision or a mutual decision.  It's an emotional thing for him and there's no rush so we'd talk and I'd give him time to be comfortable with the decision to sell his truck.  

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

@sweetee2 - we don’t need the money and we don’t need the room, but we don’t need the truck. I really don’t like driving it.  It’s just deteriorating sitting in the garage.  We’re paying for insurance on it and just paid $200 for this year’s tag.   The service work shouldn’t cost much,  tire rotation, oil change and stuff like that. The recalls will be free.  It’s a 2009, with very little mileage on it. 

I can’t think of a single reason to keep it. 

Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

I know little about your situation but, it's I know it's very bad for a vehicle to just sit.  The rubber belts rot, also the tires.  If you sell it privately, please have the tires checked first, so someone is not hurt.

I feel for you situation.

@Harvard99 - yep,  and don’t worry. Everything will be checked at the dealership on Wednesday and whatever needs repairing or replacing will be taken care of. We’re both really responsible people. 

Esteemed Contributor