Honored Contributor

Re: Selling Doll Collection…

Having dealt with a LOT of things like this for several households, there is no greater glory in worrying about this stuff.

If you can't sell it, that is an indicator that people really don't want it--and FEEL FREE to--guilt free--throw it away.  No harm in it, people don't want it, don't burden someone else or an organization with it.

Things that were valuable once may not be worth anything now.  Get rid of it.

Things that were precious to someone who is gone may be a burden to someone who has it now.  I am sure the original owner would say get rid of it--do not worry about it.

I say this because I have had a lot of things to deal with, and reality finally set it.  

I AM NOT A MUSEUM.  I have a life, and I deserve to have a place for the things I love.  Think about how you would feel if your things were a burden to someone.  What would YOU say to them? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished an estate sale at my mom's home.  I found out that many collectibles, once of value and treasured, are of little value now.

My mom had an extraordinary collection of artist signed dolls, still with boxes and certificates. Expensive, even years ago.

The guy running the sale said dolls are now almost worthless, unless you can find a die hard doll collector and that they're fewer and farther between. 

I know that the shops selling high end dolls and doing doll repairs in my city closed several years ago. Of course, long term QVC shoppers can remember the doll shows of years past, too. They were big items then. Time's change.

I debated removing the dolls from the sale, but felt it would take up too much of my time to try to list and sell each of them by myself. So, they went for basically nothing, hopefully to someone who will get some joy out of them. 

It was sad. Another chapter closed.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't drop them off at police or fire stations or nursing homes.  They probably wouldn't use them anyway.

If I couldn't give them to someone who really wanted them, I'd either donate or throw them away.  I know they're meaningful and hold special memories, but they don't go anyone any good taking up space.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother had a huge doll collection along with some Hummels and other popular (and expensive) "collectibles".

The fact is they are all now pretty much worthless. I know it's hard to comprehend because it was only about 20+ years ago that they'd be worth something and buyers like my mother would pay large sums for certain dolls. But things are only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay.  Younger generations have no desire for these things along with china, silverware, Hummels, Lladro, Thomas Kinkade, collectible plates, etc.

When my mother passed my sister and I cleaned out her doll collection. We asked friends and relatives if they'd like to take one for sentimental value and after that we took everything to Salvation Army. They were happy to receive them.

I know my mother would think we were "wasting money".  But she enjoyed those dolls so much that even though she spent many thousands on them it was worth the joy they brought her.

I think there's a big problem because there was a time when things were sold as "collectibles" (remember Brandford Exchange?) and people thought of them as heirlooms they could leave to their children, things that would be an investment and gain in value. So it's hard for older folks now to realize that all of that mass produced stuff is worthless.

I would post on Nextdoor or even Craigslist some of the dolls as "free" if you really want to get rid of them quickly to someone who would appreciate them.

Trusted Contributor

Reading this thread reminds me of all the "Titanic" stuff people were so eager to purchase...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb 

There are so many collectors ... and that means Collectible magazines galore. 

Do some research to check value.  You wouldn't want to donate something and later find out it was actually worth a hundred grand and the buyer didn't bother to  tell you  .... stranger things have happened.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for all the responses, input and food for thought.

Just to clarify a few things...in no way was I going to just drop off anything to be a burden to anyone...only if I asked around and perhaps, at some of the memory care units or nursing homes someone expressed someone who might want them, or someone for whom it might bring comfort, then I'd donate there. I have relationships with several of these type places so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Such as, when my mom passed, the aide she was closest to expressed to me that one of my mom's friends at the assisted living was now in desperate need of some clothing. She had no family that came to care for her, and only a sister, also needing help, who had come to live with her. I met with her, and she looked through my mom's clothing and picked many things she thought she could use. She later sent me a picture of the woman wearing one of my mom's sweaters, with a big smile on her face and sending her thanks to me. I felt funny at first seeing her in it...but I know, without a shadow of a doubt my mom would be smiling big time to have helped her this way. Win/win.

And it's not my first rodeo either with all this. In 2017, we sold our family home when mom went to live in assisted living...me being the only child, I was in charge of handling the emptying and selling. I'm very familiar with all the stories people tell here, of what is no longer valuable or accepted at donation centers. So I understand.

I've also done research on ebay, I do know that at this moment MA dolls are not worth much, nor Barbies etc, unless very vintage. Although Barbies are bringing a little more now than 10 years ago, so things do go up and down.  

My only reason for originally asking, was that before I just let them go, which I'm fine with, because I have the precious things I'm keeping... these I've decided are ok to let go now, rather than continue to store...so I just wondered if there were any places I hadn't thought of to take them. If not...I guess Goodwill it is.

Thanks again to all who responded! 

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Any advice from anyone where is best to try to sell Dolls?

I realize they've sort of fallen out of favor...it seems to definitely be generational...ie Mine and my mom's generation, not anyone below 50 now! 

I'm not the "crazy doll" lady by any means but mom and I used to like to watch Marie's shows and buy a few favorites, and also when I was a child mom bought Madam Alexander dolls for me. Accept for one baby doll sitting by a baby pic of me, in an attic walk-in closet, where I have some family pics and antiques, my Little Women, etc are all in a big storage box that I don't need to take up space anymore. At one time I used to bring them out at Christmas and set them up by a small tree...long ago...but that's not my thing anymore either.

I still love dolls and the memories of the fun my mom and I had picking them or ones she gifted to me...and a few select ones I'll keep, and display subtly only in certain places just for me, not around the house.

I'm not looking to get rich selling them, I just want a place for them to go...I'd donate also if there was somewhere anyone might actually take and have someone who might really want them. 

Any ideas? Thoughts?  I realize it's a longshot anyone actually "wants" them, but just thought I'd ask here since people give advice on all kinds of things. TIA.

Look for  a buy nothing dot org group near you 

you can give away stuff 

Honored Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

I am giving my collection to Goodwill and Salvation Army.  One box at a time.  I have already donated dozens - dozens more to go (probably a hundred at least).  A word of caution:  I gave several dolls to my cousin to donate to children at her church; they never got to the kids - an adult woman took them, saying she never had dolls like them as a child.  I was so angry - that is why I leave them at Goodwill or SA.

But the dolls went to a person who wanted them not the trash , once given it's not ours anymore 

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Such as, when my mom passed, the aide she was closest to expressed to me that one of my mom's friends at the assisted living was now in desperate need of some clothing. She had no family that came to care for her, and only a sister, also needing help, who had come to live with her. I met with her, and she looked through my mom's clothing and picked many things she thought she could use. She later sent me a picture of the woman wearing one of my mom's sweaters, with a big smile on her face and sending her thanks to me. I felt funny at first seeing her in it...but I know, without a shadow of a doubt my mom would be smiling big time to have helped her this way. Win/win.

@amyb 

❤️