Honored Contributor

Re: Self Serve Cash registers at Grocery Store

When was the last time anyone here worked in a store? I did for a while a few years back, in a specialty Hallmark and gift store. They sold jewelry and clothing too.

We were not allowed to pursue shoplifters in any way, they used security cameras and informed the police. We were only allowed to inform the store manager if we saw anything.

No way would I have ever pursued a single one of them, not risking my life over material things while being paid minimum wage. If you think your life is worth that well I don't know what to say, and perhaps find a store that allows that and take a job there.
"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

From what I remember, when self checkouts first started they were mostly for small 20ish items  orders only.  I used them and liked not standing in line with a few items. Now you can use them for a full cart, but the space didn't change to accommodate that. I don't mind using them, but because of the limited space I still only use them for small orders.

The first self checkout I ever saw/used was at Pathmark many years ago. It was a regular sized checkout lane with the conveyor belt bringing the items down to a bagging area. It was great.

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I was flabbergasted this past summer when I went to a self checkout at Aldi and saw the total from whomever was there before me.  It clicked with me that they went through all the motions but never paid for their haul. 😳 I had to get someone to clear the register/scanner before I could begin.  If one person could think of it, there's no telling how many others there are. What a sad commentary on our society.  I will say, with all the beeping going on around me, and me scanning away, I'm sure I've probably missed some things here and there, but those were honest mistakes.  

That's a new one, ringing everything up and not paying!

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
When was the last time anyone here worked in a store? I did for a while a few years back, in a specialty Hallmark and gift store. They sold jewelry and clothing too.

We were not allowed to pursue shoplifters in any way, they used security cameras and informed the police. We were only allowed to inform the store manager if we saw anything.

No way would I have ever pursued a single one of them, not risking my life over material things while being paid minimum wage. If you think your life is worth that well I don't know what to say, and perhaps find a store that allows that and take a job there.

@Greeneyedlady21 @I also worked several years back at a Hallnark Gold Crown store .  I really don't remember having any theft.   If so we were told to call security though.  I certainly wouldn't have intervened  

Respected Contributor

Our stores keep adding more self-checkout stations, and I love it.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

They don't bother me. If I have a handful of items, I will go thru the self-checkout lane.

If I am doing my regular grocery shopping then of course I will go through a lane with a checker.