Esteemed Contributor

Re: Self Serve Cash registers at Grocery Store

@Ronettes wrote:

@Franklinbell wrote:

@Ronettes i was surprised also.  When I saw they we all closed I thought wow, that is strange all of them are broken at the same time.  I mentioned it to the manager and that is when he told me the story.  I was astounded!

An employee at our local supermarket told me that a man filled up his cart with 'health and beauty aid' items, $5,000 worth.

He then ran out the door without paying and threw everything into his car, telling the security who ran after him that they can't do anything to him!

So now there are no cosmetics sold at that supermarket any longer, the items of course are small, most of them, and continually being shoplifted.

I was stunned, this is a new world of 'privileged' people.

@Ronettes 

The nearby Walmart Neighborhood Market just did an interior remodel and all of the beauty items are now under lock and key. 

Not sure how that works when you have to search for an overworked employee to unlock a case just to buy a lipstick or hand cream.  I might just decide it's not worth the time.  On the other hand, I understand the store wanting to protect itself from theft.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Seems crazy to me that many stores are placing popular and/or more expensive items under lock and key, only to have self check out. What could go wrong with that? 

Valued Contributor

Our supermarket had a police officer watching all self-service cash registers today -

First time I've seen that, this must be the new normal world of today.

Honored Contributor

@Ronettes wrote:

Our supermarket had a police officer watching all self-service cash registers today -

So did ShopRites in Delaware soon after they converted to all self-check-out.  Maybe the cops were off-duty, I don't know.  But they were in uniform.  So much theft was going on.

I hope our tax dollars didn't pay for this.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Ronettes wrote:

So did ShopRites in Delaware soon after they converted to all self-check-out.  Maybe the cops were off-duty, I don't know.  But they were in uniform.  So much theft was going on.

I hope our tax dollars didn't pay for this.

@ValuSkr 

Police take these sort of extra jobs to supplement their usually inadequate income.  The store is paying them. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I just read an article this morning that some stores are going to do  away with them.

I hate them and avoid them at all costs.  It's not because they took jobs away.

Valued Contributor

Where I live, TIDE detergent is sold behind the checkout counter.  People are stealing it and selling it. Especially the pods.

Esteemed Contributor

I refuse to use them.   

Esteemed Contributor

I refuse to use them.      1 I am not getting paid and I feel I am taking a job away from someone else.  2.  I am not very good at it and am afraid I will either overcharge myself or take something free by mistake. 

Bottom line NO WAY

Esteemed Contributor

This is something that should be pointed out to those who mention cameras and store personnel stationed in the self-checkout area.  The self-checkout worker is there to help the honest customer who needs assistance during the checkout process.  They are not allowed to confront the people bagging stuff that has not been scanned even if they are looking at the action taking place. The cameras provide evidence to the store's insurance company that there was theft (when the corporation files an insurance claim for losses).  In most jurisdictions in the country retailers of any kind do not permit personnel to confront thieves in any manner. In some instances, a worker who has a normal reaction to theft or bad customer behaviors, like calling it out loud or trying to stop the theft could be subject to TERMINATION. EmojiEmoji